The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Degreasing the Engine

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    smonijhay

Degreasing the Engine

Isn't there a box, or something that you are supposed to cover up before you spray simple green on the engine to clean it? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? (since I don't!) :oops:

If you have a cone filter or other non-stock intake, cover that with a baggie and rubber band it. You may want to cover your distributor, if you can reach it. If not, just avoid spraying water directly on it. Some people cover their batter terminals, I don't. I recommend using low pressure water when rinsing off the simple green so you don't get water where you don't want it. Also, remember to let the simple green sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing. Finally, I let my engine air dry for about two hours with the hood up before starting it.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

yea, air drying is very important. i jsut started mine up and yea i got water spots everywhere

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

BassmanLN
    be very careful with water! i cleaned under the hood and was really worried about shorts, so i put electrical tape over all the places where the wires met the connectors, and any place there was an uncovered wire or electrical hole. I was just being cautious. So i spray it all out..its sparkly clean! i let it dry for a while and start it up... it runs fine for a minute..but then it starts to miss out! the RPM's went to about 100. i drove it around and when i got to about 2k it would vibrate like a mother. so i figured i got my plug wires or injector wires or something wet because the cylindars werent all firing. so by this point i was freaking out because i thought i ruined my car. but i took all the tape off the wres that i put on and it turns out the tape actually held some water... so yeah taping was a bad idea. but i just let it dry for a while longer and it was fune. but the misfiring made my SES light come on. just unplugged the battery! but the moral of the story is, being overcautious isnt always good! and also this shows that you can screw things up if you get certain parts wet, so be careful!

i clean mine with GUNK and Simple Green, and after I rinse it , I use my leaf blower to dry the engine, its good cuz the speed of the wind gets the water out of those deep places

smonijhay
    Quote Originally Posted by BassmanLN
    be very careful with water! i cleaned under the hood and was really worried about shorts, so i put electrical tape over all the places where the wires met the connectors, and any place there was an uncovered wire or electrical hole. I was just being cautious. So i spray it all out..its sparkly clean! i let it dry for a while and start it up... it runs fine for a minute..but then it starts to miss out! the RPM's went to about 100. i drove it around and when i got to about 2k it would vibrate like a mother. so i figured i got my plug wires or injector wires or something wet because the cylindars werent all firing. so by this point i was freaking out because i thought i ruined my car. but i took all the tape off the wres that i put on and it turns out the tape actually held some water... so yeah taping was a bad idea. but i just let it dry for a while longer and it was fune. but the misfiring made my SES light come on. just unplugged the battery! but the moral of the story is, being overcautious isnt always good! and also this shows that you can screw things up if you get certain parts wet, so be careful!
    :shock: WOW Bassman!! That's deep! But very informative. Thanx 8)

BassmanLN
    yeah i had some spare time to tell a nice story..anytime!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Heh thats a good idea D, but I dont have a leaf blower
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth
    Heh thats a good idea D, but I dont have a leaf blower
    check to see if your vaccum cleaner has a blow attachment, i know a bunch of them do. or break out the good ole hair dryer haha

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

ChuBBs
    seth where you live?

Seth is from Keokuk but is going to Ames when this school year begins. Andy also lives in Ames.

Experienced TGC Member
    Isn't Ames a department store?
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

Jesse knows name, age, phone, location and next of Kin for everyone on the board!
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

MitsuMan
    Quote Originally Posted by jluv97
    Jesse knows name, age, phone, location and next of Kin for everyone on the board!

HHAHAHAHAHHHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAAHHAA

Alternator, battery, any possible exposed wires like an open fuse box (all other switches have rubber seals).

Cover them up, do it on a hot dry day, agitate what ever cleaner you use into any dirt you can get to with a brush (just saves more than one coat and the need for excessive water), use a jet washer as it uses less water and dislodges crap but don't aim direct at electrical parts.

Cleaned more engines than sense with this method. After leaving them about 12 hours to dry (more a security measure with the new cars and all their damned electronics) and should be fine.
    The 7g? you can drive it away still wet. Seriously! done it. More a testament to the simplicity of the car though, and preventative measures.

You are reviving some seriously old threads my friend, its been nearly 13yrs since this was asked I'm certain he found a way by now. Please be mindful of the dates on the topics, odds are input is no longer necessary.