The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing Spark Plugs

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    PHATJ619

Changing Spark Plugs

I am trying to see how to change spark plugs for the 2.4

there are 2 bolts on each coil pack that hold the two on the valve cover and the other two cylinders will just have plug wires off of the coil packs. remove the plug wires and then remove the connectors on the coil packs. next, remove the bolts on the coil packs and pull them straight up. then all you have to do is get out your spark plug socket and ratchet them out and reverse the instuctions to put it back together.
    2001 Mitsu Galant ES 4Cyl.

PHATJ619
    Any recommendations on types of spark plugs for the I-4?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    NGK PLATS do mighty nice.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

BlankMan
    NGK coppers do just as fine.

J

BOSCH plats are nice
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

yea just stick with the factory ngk vpower plugs. the only thing platinum plugs will give you is longevity but then changing plugs on the 2.4 is so easy that it doesn't really matter if you don't put platinum plugs

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

note- use only NGK plugs
    yes 2 bolts probly a 8 or 10 remove coil over plug assmbly n pull that plugs out like anyother car
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

what about Denso Iridiums spark plugs...has anyone used these on thier i4's?

BigJack

Re: 8g - Changing Spark Plugs

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PHATJ619)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am trying to see how to change spark plugs for the 2.4</div>

ARE YOU ON CRACK??? YOU PULL THE PLUG WIRE OFF AND UNSSCREW THE SPARK PLUG. HAVE YOU EVER WORKED ON A CAR BEFORE????

Brian, 96 Galant S

you don't need to unbolt anything. Just pull the wire off the plug and remove it. If you have a designated spark plug socket, it makes it A LOT easier.

Just a few notes:

You should have anti-seize grease, spark plug socket, torque wrench, and a short section of small 5/32 vacuum tubing.

Before inserting the plug, if there is no anti-seize grease on the plug threads, add a bit to the lower threads.

Also, do no use the socket to insert the plug, instead attach the top of the plug to the section of small vacuum tubing, then insert the plug using the vacuum tubing. Carefully tighten the plug by twisting the vacuum tubing - this keeps the plug from getting seated improperly. When you cant turn the plug any more with the tubing, pull out the tubing.

Remove the rubber grommit from the spark plug socket, or else it will get stuck on the spark plug when you tighten in and you will have to remove the spark plug again. Tighten to 18 ft-lbs. (or 25N-m) using the torque wrench and spark plug socket.