The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Breaking In An Engine

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Breaking In An Engine

I am getting a newer engine installed into my car its 38k engine off of a 2003 galant, and i am having it installed into my 2000 galant, i've seen post about it before about breaking it in, something about driving it 300 miles or something like that, how do i go about doing that, somebody please explain more about it thanx

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar

Re: Breaking In An Engine

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stay Alert)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am getting a newer engine installed into my car its 38k engine off of a 2003 galant, and i am having it installed into my 2000 galant, i've seen post about it before about breaking it in, something about driving it 300 miles or something like that, how do i go about doing that, somebody please explain more about it thanx</div>

that only applys for the first 300-500 miles of a spanking brand new engine right off the showroom. this car is already broken in, unless they are going to rebuild the whole engine.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If it has 38k on it, its not a new engine. No break in needed. May take it easy at first juts to make sure there are no leaks or anything.
    7g for life!

you definately want them to install some new gaskets before they drop it on( oil pan, rear main seal)

after that.
    install it, fill it up with synthetic.
    let it idle nice adn get warmed up.
    drive it for a couplt of miles until its nice and warmed up and well lubricated.

then do a top speed run.

cause it will be fine.

i would recomend changine the oil in the first 200 miles though cause that motor has been sitting for a while.
    perhaps even the coolant because thats a cast iron block.

but seriously, after its nice and warmed up. you are fine to rip on it

1994 Galant GS-Turbo