The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Doubts regarding a used 7G with 110,000 miles

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    axelm

Doubts regarding a used 7G with 110,000 miles

Last night I went to see a used 1997 Galant S 2.4 manual tranny that's for sale here in Buenos Aires. I liked the car, and the general condition was very good, but there were two things that I did not like:

1) The steering wheel was green, with a black SRS center. According to the current owner this is stock, but it looked like he replaced the airbag.
    2) The passenger's side airbag cover was warped at the top. Looks like the car had been parked in direct sunlight for many years. Can this be corrected ? Should I suspect he changed the airbag and did not reinstall this properly?

Thanks for your help.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Eh, my steering wheel is starting to turn green. And my passenger airbag is warped too. Normal 7g stuff man. Do a carfax if you are still worried.
    7g for life!

110K is nothing for a Galant. I bought mine at 122K, and I'm not at 142K and it runs like gold. I get compliments all the time on how well my car works for such high milage.

Yes, my steering wheel is turning green too. I'm going to slap on an aftermarket one.

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

Proto
    mines not turning green maybe cuz its leather

in my 96 AT though it was green, air bag was warped. had 184k before it got wrecked and ran perfect

my wheel turned green as well! My last 1st engine had well over 110k on it before the balance shaft belt snapped. My second engine...the same thing! Key is CHANGE THE DAMN BALANCE SHAFT BELT! Other than that both engines ran fine

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

geez... i hope my steering wheel doesnt turn green!

is that only w/ the grey interior?

<span style="color:#000000">1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Premium</span>

Proto
    only the non GS models

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Steering wheel hasn't turned green yet...its probably due to sun damage. I always put a sun shield especially with the Florida sun.

My passenger side air bag is warping too...its normal. I have been thinking of taking it off and re applying some adhesive to fix the problem. I got a 110,000 miles on my 96 5 speed and its turbo and the car still runs very strong.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

My steering wheel is not green, but i have a sock like wheel cover over it. And i too have a warped passenger airbag.
    Signature wanted call: 1800-Darkkend

<a>Take Better Photoshots Tips from the Pro's</a>

steering wheel is not green yet, but the airbag cover is warped. she's got 110k on her, tranny is going (auto) but motor is still strong (yeah and this is after the timing belt has broke like 3 times) I still love my pos 7g. 5spd swap coming this spring!!!

axelm
    Well, finally I didn't buy this car. I got a 96 Volvo 850 T5 (2.3L Turbo) instead. I did see a couple of more Galants and all of them had green steering wheels and warped passenger airbags.

850.. isnt that a WAGON?
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

axelm
    Nope, its a 4 dour sedan 2.3L 5cyl 20valves 240 bhp with a 30 psi turbo.

yea they are quick but i dont like the volvo body style

axelm
    I don't LOVE the Volvo boxed-style, but I wanted a very safe car for my wife and 2 kids. On the weekends and on trips I will be able to enjoy the powerful engine.

well hope you have fun

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(axelm)</div><div class='quotemain'>Nope, its a 4 dour sedan 2.3L 5cyl 20valves 240 bhp with a 30 psi turbo.</div>
    that has to be off,
    a 20valve 2.3l with 30 psi would be getting minimum of 400hp to the ground.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

axelm
    Copied from Volvo's website...

Transversely mounted, 2.3 liter, 5-cylinder double overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder, aluminum engine block, forged vanadium steel crankshaft and connecting rods, cast-in iron cylinder liners, interior piston cooling nozzles, sodium filled exhaust valves, water cooled turbo housing, microprocessor-controlled multi-point, direct port fuel injection system with Lambda Sond. Electronic ignition system with knock sensor. Exhaust driven turbocharger with intercooler

Horsepower (SAE net): 240 @ 5200 rpm
    Torque (ft/lbs., SAE net): 221 @ 2100 rpm
    Compression Ratio: 8.5:1

Regarding the 30 psis, I don't remember exactly where I read it, but I think that what they do is limit the 30 psi to a 30 second boost, to protect the engine.

The car has automatic tranny, and I donĀ“t think that this specific transmission would be able to handle 400hp. Remember it's a executive style sedan, not a racecar.