The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Boost Controller settings

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Boost Controller settings

Trying to get some more info on changing settings on my boost controller. I have a Garrett FP Green 50 Trim turbo on my GSX (yeah its a big one) and a Greddy Boost controller. The turbo has some brutal lag, but really kicks you in the ass at around 4200 rpm's. I know you can change some of the settings to reduce lag, but don't want to totally hose my tuning I have going for me right now. I do have the manual for the boost controller and read up on it and know you have to be careful in how much you retard the settings to get that earlier boost. I'm looking for a realistic change, if any. Its possible since its so big that I'll be down-shifting to get on it every time. Rode in Bradley's WRX and saw what a difference a small turbo that boosts at low rpms is. Both are fun in their own way really. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    FYI: 50 trims are Mid-sized turbos now

If you have the normal ball/spring MBC, to change the boost level you just have to twist the knob(or allen screw) on the MBC clockwise. You will have to twist it in small incriments untill you reach the desired boost level.

The FP Green is a good turbo. You dont "decrease" lag with a MBC at all, just raise the boost.

[Edit]
    Ahh I cant read its a Greddy EBC correct? What model?(not like I know anything about EBCs)
    7g for life!

Re: Boost Controller settings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SinSere)</div><div class='quotemain'>Trying to get some more info on changing settings on my boost controller. I have a Garrett FP Green 50 Trim turbo on my GSX (yeah its a big one) and a Greddy Boost controller. The turbo has some brutal lag, but really kicks you in the ass at around 4200 rpm's. Â*I know you can change some of the settings to reduce lag, but don't want to totally hose my tuning I have going for me right now. I do have the manual for the boost controller and read up on it and know you have to be careful in how much you retard the settings to get that earlier boost. I'm looking for a realistic change, if any. Its possible since its so big that I'll be down-shifting to get on it every time. Rode in Bradley's WRX and saw what a difference a small turbo that boosts at low rpms is. Both are fun in their own way really. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks.</div>
    the green should be spooling at about 3700 full spool.
    you need to do a boost leak test.

as for the electronic controller.
    make sure your gain isn't up too high, cause trying to allow the turbo to spool too fast will cause it to surge.
    you just gotta play around with it a bit.
    but for shizzle,
    do a boost leak test and replace any leaking gaskets seals or orings.
    a very common place for boost leaks are the throttle body shaft seals,
    the fuel injector lower insulators,
    every single coupling and boost line you have.

doesnt take much time to find them., and you can make a tester for under 15 bucks.
    a 3" from the turbo back is a must with that snail if you don't already have one to get a quicker spool.
    also getting rid of the cat works wonders for spoolup.

are you running an internally gated green, or external?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

External. The cat is a 3" back and I actually added a high flow cat because the exhaust was obnoxious. I was counting on you 2 guys to know best and have given me some solid places to start. And I guess you're right, compared to a lot of strip cars it is a medium sized turbo. The one thing the shop told me I should look into is a stand alone fuel system even though I have all parts upgraded. I would love for it to spool more frequently in the 3500-3700 range. Its tuned for 18 psi right now, maybe the gains are high. I'll have to check.

If you are wanting a cheap reliable standalone, check out Megasquirt. It takes a lot of research, but gives awesome results. www.msefi.com
    7g for life!

thanks, I will. I read up on a company called Racetech, its the Racetech SDS, that has a simple stand-alone system with awesome reviews and results. I'll check that one out too.

Yah, a guy tuned a stock bottume end 7bolt, stock headgasket/head studs, head only had cams to 455whp before he the FPR gave out and he blew a hole in the back of the block. But when they took the head off, the pistons and valves were super clean, it was a dead on tune.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Check the video "Stock Bottom End DSM goes to the Dyno" Â*

http://www.1320video.com/videos.php Â*

We normally don't TRY to blow things up, but we wanted to see what kind of numbers a MS'd DSM was putting down. 455whp and 415tq on the dynojet with STOCK INTERNALS. 35psi boost, 114-octane fuel, timing about 15 degrees total at peak power. Plugs are BPR8ES (shorties!) gapped at .020" Stock DSM coil with "a little more dwell" thanks to MS. Yes, that IS a stock composite MItsu headgasket. Not the MLS one. Â*

Car ran 11.9 @ 120mph in this configuration last October. Has been driven as stolen for the past 3 months on the streets of Omaha (i.e., no mercy from the owner). Â*

I will try to get links of the teardown pics up - the cylinder tops, combustion chambers were in perfect shape. THe plugs looked perfect - the tune was definitely right on. Owner is pleased with MS, he's building a forged-internals short block in the quest for more reliable power as we take it up past 500whp. Â*

Enjoy the carnage of the video! Â*

-scott</div>
    7g for life!

Nice...thats what I like to hear. Oh yeah, so whats the cheap leak tester for 15 bucks. I might do it this weekend with a friend of mine. Check for leaks and look at the controller settings. So I'll probably post um up here to see what you guys think.

Check out www.vfaq.com There is a tutorial there.
    7g for life!