The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: new ride is already dead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 33

new ride is already dead

check this out, I purchased a 2000 Galant w/ only 52,000 miles on it about 2 months ago. Well last week, I got my taxes, and I figured that since I was so close to the 60,000 mark, I'd go ahead and change my timing belt. This proved to be a bad idea. The guy I took it to ended up timing it wrong, and now my car is sitting at the Mitsu. dealer, dead in the water. I have no ride now. Turns out, it was timed 90 degrees out of where it was supposed to be. So now I prolly have a bunch of bend valves and stuff. The Mitsu. dealer quoted me $1900 to get all fixed. I'm looking for a head now. Hopefully it'll be cheaper just to replace the head, rather than let them rebuild mine. All in all, it still sux. Oh well....

Proto
    evo swap!

bah. i'd go to the orignal "mechanic" and get him to pay for everything.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar

Re: new ride is already dead

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(00GalantMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>check this out, I purchased a 2000 Galant w/ only 52,000 miles on it about 2 months ago. Well last week, I got my taxes, and I figured that since I was so close to the 60,000 mark, I'd go ahead and change my timing belt. This proved to be a bad idea. The guy I took it to ended up timing it wrong, and now my car is sitting at the Mitsu. dealer, dead in the water. I have no ride now. Turns out, it was timed 90 degrees out of where it was supposed to be. So now I prolly have a bunch of bend valves and stuff. The Mitsu. dealer quoted me $1900 to get all fixed. I'm looking for a head now. Hopefully it'll be cheaper just to replace the head, rather than let them rebuild mine. All in all, it still sux. Oh well....</div>

Have the retard who did it wrong pay for the damages!!!!!!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>bah. i'd go to the orignal "mechanic" and get him to pay for everything.</div>

if only it were that easy. believe me, he is going to hear from me. And I thought about doing a swap of some type. But I don't know what would be compadible with my tranny. I don't really have alot of money to do alot. I thought about the 2.4 DOHC or the 3.0 V6 out of a GTZ. But I have no idea what will work with what I have.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGINE-ECLI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's one of a few auctions on ebay with motors.

I've seen a few of those. But I think for now, I'm going to tr and just replace the head itself. If I can find one with low miles or one that's just been re-built, then I'll just do that. I need my car back running asap. I have a 22 mile comute to work everyday. I can use the company work truck for now, but I have no idea how long that will last. The sooner I get a head, the sooner I'll be driving my own car. I miss her already...

here's a link to one of my galleries:

http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/index.php...CODE=12&CID=477

Not to rub salt on a wound, but thats the exact reason I NEVER recommend an "independant" mechanic.
    I still stand by the fact that 20 percent of the cars I work on are "repairs" made by independants.

independants charge less for a reason; they either dont have the overhead (meaning the special tools) to fix cars, or dont have the knowledge. And really, how could they? there are 44 manufacturers selling cars in the states. Ive had to go to 6 months of additional school just to work on mitsus'.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    Yeah better just get new dohc head and bring it to the mechanic who broke ur first one and have him do it for free.. i wonder if the dohc head from the 94 g would fit in ours. cause that's the only 4g64 with the dohc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milo111000)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah better just get new dohc head and bring it to the mechanic who broke ur first one and have him do it for free.. i wonder if the dohc head from the 94 g would fit in ours. cause that's the only 4g64 with the dohc.</div>
    could I put a DOHC in place of a SOHC??

Well, I think I have some good news. I talked to the mechanic who did the timing belt and even though he's not convinced it was his fault. He is curious as to what really happened. So he's got a guy going to the dealership today to talk to the mechanic to find out the whole story. Hopefully something good will come of this. I'll post later to let you guys know what he finds out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(00GalantMan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milo111000)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah better just get new dohc head and bring it to the mechanic who broke ur first one and have him do it for free.. i wonder if the dohc head from the 94 g would fit in ours. cause that's the only 4g64 with the dohc.</div>
    could I put a DOHC in place of a SOHC??</div>

Yep:
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46121
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55104

so would this one work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

or would i need something else? I would love to make mine a DOHC if I have to replace the head, I might as well make it worth it. How much trouble is actually involved? Is it a matter of taking the old one off and putting the new one on, or is there more to it?

Well, I think I have some good news for a change. I might just need a auto tensioner. That might have been the whole reason I jumped time in the first place. And there's a chance my valves are not bent. I'm going to pick the car up tomorrow from the Mitsu. dealerand let a mechanic (a DIFFERENT mechanic) look at. Hopefully, I will get away with just replacing the tensioner and re-timing it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

they say you can swap the head from a Kia Optima 2.4
    I'm also wondering if anyone knows if Hyundai's 2.4L engine happens to be the same now, since when Mitsu, has/had 19% stake in Hyundai/Kia...
    Mayonnaise colored Benz---I push Miracle Whips
    -K. West

Quote Originally Posted by jusmills
    they say you can swap the head from a Kia Optima 2.4
    I'm also wondering if anyone knows if Hyundai's 2.4L engine happens to be the same now, since when Mitsu, has/had 19% stake in Hyundai/Kia...
    That's all? Just swap the SOHC for the DOHC head and that's it? Nothing else? If it's that easy, I'll buy this head I see on eBay and do this!

Could anybody tell me what exactly is required for doing this swap? I've been researching this for days on mulitple mitsu. web sites, only to come up with different answers to my question.
    I need to know exactly which DOHC head to purchase, and what all goodies I need to purchase to make this work.
    For instance, which head gasket set to use? the original SOHC set or one from a DOHC set?
    I know I need a new timing belt to fit the DOHC. I'm going to replace the tensioner as well. That's where this whole mess started. I was told the thottle body and exaust manifold would bolt right up to the new head. I need some one to confirm this as well. Hopefully I'm going to get this done this weekend, so the sooner I find everything out, the better off I'll be.
    And most importantly, which head will bolt right up to my block?
    Thanks for the help everyone...

Fianlly, after many weeks of waiting, I get my car back today! $740 later...but I think it will be worth it to have it back, done properly. I ended up getting another head and combining my head with the one I bought. I ended up bending all my intake valves. I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. But I took it to a reputable mechanic, and I saw it for myself. But anyways, I'll be back in my 8g tonight. FINALLY!

so the shop that you took your car to at the first place, do they pay you for the $740?

no, but there a little thing called "small claims court"
    maybe you'll see me on Judge Mathis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast