The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Signs of alternator going bad??

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar

Signs of alternator going bad??

what kind of signs should I be looking for.. earlier tonite I went to the store, left my car on ACC w. system on like 20 out of 60 so the bass was somehwat pumping and left my headlights on. Came out, my voltmeter and A/F gauge was unpowered so I figured the power wire came loose. Went to start the car, it CHOKED to a start.. gauge lights dim as hell on brightest setting.. put it in R.. rolled back, threw it in D... had to press the gas kinda hard just to get a response from it... came up to a corner like 50 ft away so didnt get much faster than 20 mph and the rpms stayed under 3000.. hit the corner, more gas.. car unresponsive until i got on it again. So i started getting on it hard and my gauge lights brightened back up, then my voltmeter and A/F gauge came back on... while driving back home i turned my music up and i'd be cruising at like 30 and let off the gas and the bass was causing my voltmeter to drop to like 12-11.5 which never happens while i drive.. only time it shot back up is when i got on the gas... got to my apt, cut the heads turned music down, went to trunk, my Cap was staying at 14.0-13.9 range when bass hit...

All of this happened with a brand new Optima Red Top battery installed 3 months ago..

Cliff notes:
    Went into store, left car in ACC
    Came out, voltmeter and A/F gauge off
    Gauges didnt brighten back until got on gas heavy & A/F and Voltmeter came back on at that point
    Brand new optima red top

Is it alternator or system too much? 4 10" Infinity 1030w on Lanzar 1600 watt amp, headlights dont dim though w. bass..

the red top isn't a deep cycle battery unlike the yellow and blue tops. so what im thinking is that you started to drain your battery when u decided to play the radio while you went to the store.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    the red top isn't a deep cycle battery unlike the yellow and blue tops. so what im thinking is that you started to drain your battery when u decided to play the radio while you went to the store.
    Hm thats weird, I was only in the store for like 5 mins, didnt think that would be enough to drain a new Optima red top. Oh well, better to hear that than a bad alty.

what you can do is start you car then take the positivlead off of the battery. if the car cuts off, thats a good sign to let you know you have some charging issues and it could be the alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by str8304
    what you can do is start you car then take the positivlead off of the battery. if the car cuts off, thats a good sign to let you know you have some charging issues and it could be the alternator.
    if you do that, video tape it. if you do it just right, you can cause a voltage spike and fry your electrical system.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    Quote Originally Posted by str8304
    if you do that, video tape it. if you do it just right, you can cause a voltage spike and fry your electrical system.
    i have never heard this b4. I use to do this all the time on my older cars. but you are the galant expert and i ow you know better than i do when it comes to these cars.

looks like my alty is the problem, cant be the battery since the volts go back up to 14.4ish when it finally starts... alty must not be charging the battery... although its getting a slight charge, cuz during the day i can stop and start the car as many times as i want with no problems..

also, should i lookin for an alty upgrade with my system or just a new or maybe used Galant one?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Take the alty off, have a friend drive you to AutoZone(or just take it off in the parking lot) and have them test it. They will be able to tell you if the Alty is bad. I would think if the alty is bad then it shouldnt ever recharge the battery so your batter should just drain and not stay a solid 14v. Idk, have both the battery and alty tested while your at it
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(str8304)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(str8304)</div><div class='quotemain'>what you can do is start you car then take the positivlead off of the battery. Â*if the car cuts off, thats a good sign to let you know you have some charging issues and it could be the alternator.</div>

if you do that, video tape it. if you do it just right, you can cause a voltage spike and fry your electrical system.</div>i have never heard this b4. I use to do this all the time on my older cars. but you are the galant expert and i ow you know better than i do when it comes to these cars.</div>
    he's right. pulling the battery whilst the car is running is dangerous to ALL cars.

the alternator needs the battery hooked up to monitor correct voltage levels. Without it, the voltage may spike to 17-18 volts, or whatever the max output capacity of the alternator is.
    POOF!

never, EVER pull the battery cable to "test" an alternator. there are many ways to correctly test one. Hell, a normal digital voltmeter is usually a decent way of testing it.

I agree with Seth, if it was alty you're battery wouldn't get any charge at all. When my alty went bad, the car just stopped in the middle of the road. Batttery was dead. Good luck though
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

Calipso
    I'm having a similar problem. Yesterday my lights started to dim moments after I started my car. The idle slowed down drastically. (I popped my hood and can tell the engine was running really slow.) Every time I gave it some gas the car would light back up normally.

Today the car ran fine though, no dim lights, no slow idle.

One thing I think it was that yesterday I was having problems with my battery and the battery terminals. If it was the battery though the car would hardly turn over. Anyone with any ideas? I had my stock alternator crap out on me back in mid-2003, and I'd have to replace this one after just 3 years.

went to Autozone, had the battery tester ran, it said recharge and retest, came back an hour later after they charged it and they said it wouldnt hold a charge... thats when the Autozone guy said "coulda been from these cracks on it".. didnt notice this HUGE ass crack it had on the rear of the battery, hidden from view every time i popped the trunk... went to Wal-Mart and got a cheap ass 29 dollar battery.. everything so far is str8.. but damn, 560 cold cranking amp power compared to the 720 that I had w. my Red Top... heartbroken :cry:

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    That sucks. Did you drop the red top before you installed it? lol

Your an i4 so it doesnt require too much cranking power to get the starter to move.
    7g for life!

Wow, it must be in the air today. I spent 3 hours rewiring a clusterf%# of a radio install and after I finished and the guy pulled away, my car wouldnt start. I was bumping pretty hard today but didnt realize how much. Now i have to head to Autozone first thing and buy one. My battey is the OEM that came in it from the factory so im pretty sure its due('02)