The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4G64 Turbo HELP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37
    GalntGripr

4G64 Turbo HELP!

My Situation is... I wanna turbocharge my 4G64.. I read all the tutorials that are out there on turbocharging but none really get down to the nitty gritty wen it comes to the galant ES. basically i need to kno how to do a basic turbo set-up FOR THE GALANT ES..(non-intercooled for right now) i really wanna here from ppl who have done it and kno where to get in-expensive parts. I'm thinkin of running 4 pounds on stock internals.. Anyone who kno wtf they are talking about please help me out

I'm a newbie to tgc and turbocharging but im not fuckin stupid so please if you dont kno what ur talkin about keep ur comments to urself

to the true one out there that do.. and help me out -Thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I know nothing about turbos....

Did you read this website?
    http://4g64.150m.com/turbo.html

What do you need to know? Maybe you ask the questions and we will answer. But just asking what you need is retarded, you need to do some research.

And wtf? Non-intercooled? Why? This isnt a 1985 8v Turbo Omni.
    7g for life!

GalntGripr
    That guide tells you to get a higher capacity fuel system... since i would be running only 4 pounds is that really necessary?.. I kno turbocharging is gonna hurt my fuel economy ne ways but damn i dont wanna dump gas into my cynlinders for no reason

non intercooled speels disaster for you man. seriously don't even think it.
    you can get a side mount intercooler from an eclipse for 20 - 40 bucks on ebay. do it. or i promise you will be very sorry.

you can run 8psi on a stock motor. thats the standard
    brandon has been runiing 8 psi for a few years. same with djplay.
    peanotation runs 8 psi as well.
    there is a guy on here that is selling the majority of the parts you need.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

GalntGripr
    oh and non-intercooled is cheaper :oops: i work at a supermarket and im still in high school lol

your fuel economy won't change on the highway, it could actually get better once you are tuned.
    but in the city, and whenever you are driving with a heavy foot. yeah its going to go down. but thats the name of the game.

just get some 450cc eclipse injectors. can be had for under 80 bucks

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

GalntGripr
    see thas the typa parts i would never kno about... i really dont wanna run 8 psi cus upgrading the fuel system would hurt my pockets

GalntGripr
    y the fuck am i alway a post behind?? lol thanks man... ima make a list and if some shit is too expensive myb u can help me find some cheaper stuff

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=43824

uhuh, so how are you going to tune if you don't touch the fuel system.
    and the gains you will see with only 4 psi don't make this a worth while project for you.

turbo, at least 150 bucks
    manifold 50-150 bucks
    o2 sensor housing 40 bucks
    charge pipes 50 bucks(for radiator hose) - 200 bucks
    bov 70-300 bucks
    downpipe 110 bucks
    intake snorkel 30-60 bucks
    boost gauge- 40 bucks
    some way to make sure that on a 8psi actualtor you only hit 4psi? priceless.
    fuel pump rewire 30 bucks.(if you don't do this at the very least, you might as well just drive the car off a cliff)
    new gaskets- 60 bucks

what are you going to tune with? this isn't just a bolt on affair.

in all honesty man. for the gains you would see with only 4 psi. you could do a lot better for soooo much less with nitrous.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I gaurantee a basic setup has been posted numerous times, but heres a basic setup:

Turbo: 14b turbo off 90-94 5spd Turbo Ecilpse/Talon/Laser.
    Injectors: 450cc off Turbo 90-99 T/E/L 5spds, 390cc off of Turbo 90-99 Automatics. Will need the resistor pack for 91+ T/E/L.
    Intercooler: Supra SMIC, 1g/2g T/E/L Stock SMIC
    IC Piping: Can use 2g stock piping, hacked up with some custom piping.
    Exhaust manifold: Any 1g/2g Turbo exhaust mani, would recommend a stock 2g manifold(Stay clear of stock 1g mani's).
    Fuel Pump: May be able to get away with a stock rewired pump, or a stock 2g pump. probably cheaper just to get a Walbro 190.
    Fuel Control: Many possibilities. I would recommend getting a 7g EPROM ECU, and getting a chip made for the injectors you choose. Or grab a SAFC I/II
    Downpipe: Stock/Aftermarket 2g Eclipse downpipes bolt up.
    Intake pipe: Can use stock/intake pipe for a 2g.
    BOV: Would recommend getting a 1g BOV(Stay clear of 2g BOVs).
    Gauges: Recommend at LEAST boost and EGT gauges, Oil pressure is a good gauge to have as well.
    Dont skimp on anything man, you will regret it. Bigger injectors doesnt mean higher fuel consumption persay. Power = fuel, so obviously you will get worse gas mileage when you are boosting, but in off boost scenarios, you should get at least 20+mpg with a good tune.

Theres really not that much too it. A lot of odds and ends. Be sure to get new gaskets when needed.
    7g for life!

GalntGripr
    yea and nitrous is disposable.. thing is i wanna run 4 pounds until i can get peice by peice the other parts i need to run higher boost. To my understanding there are plenty of turbos out there that spool even as low as 3 pounds if you set the wastegate via boost controller?... So basically this is like a "gettin my feet wet" typa thing.. I'll be diving head first during the summer wen i dont have school and i'll be makin alot more money.

Your lowest boost setting is going to be whatever your wastegate spring is. Stock 14b is 9-11lbs I have been told. To run as low as 4psi at WOT, you would need a 4psi spring. A MBC(Manual boost controller) can only be used to effectively raise the boost from what the wastegate spring is set to.
    7g for life!

GalntGripr
    i woudnt be using a dsm turbo.. theres plenty on ebay that allow for about 3-19 psi... or so they say

And what type of turbo would this eBay turbo be?
    7g for life!

GalntGripr
    not sure exactly.. but they are the cheap ones they advertise as having garrett internals.. prolly jdm or made in cali.. with the 16g turbo tho could i change the spring in the wastegate?

You can change the spring in any internal/external wastegate. Sure you can get a 16g off eBay, can get some odd Garret hybrid, but you have to figure out which is going to be more efficient at your boost level. If you want, find yourself a turbo off eBay and I will compare the turbo maps to a 14b map and we will see which is more efficient at 4lbs of boost. Even a t25 would be an efficient turbo at that low of boost.

You can get a descent used 14b for $100. I got mine for $75(actually the one Brandon is running now ha!)

And why are you set on 4psi? The stock 4g64 has been proven to be able to handle up to 8psi on a dailey basis with a good tune. Even the auto trans holds up(for awhile) on 8psi. Stop talking this 4psi crazy-talk. I run 4psi times 4.5 haha.
    7g for life!

GalntGripr
    Funny you say the thing about the auto tranny. I HAVE an auto tranny and i jus had it re-built recently but im swapping to 5 spd over the summer also. I'm stuck on 4 psi because its cheaper to do :oops:

lol how bout 6 psi? ...gotta remember too i cant rule ne thing out jus yet it's just that im workin with a student's salary right now so if i can get the parts i need cheap then so be it.

frankly im jus tired of gettin spanked...

gti last week..
    old school turbo supra 2 days ago..
    im not even gonna mention the civic.. :evil:

i wanna atleast give my car a fighting chance ..not many ppl are boosting around here

You thought you had a change vs MKIII turbo Supra? :lauging:

So how is 4psi cheaper then 8psi when you would use the same parts?
    7g for life!

Proto
    a civic? how in the hell

Quote Originally Posted by GalntGripr
    yea and nitrous is disposable.. thing is i wanna run 4 pounds until i can get peice by peice the other parts i need to run higher boost. To my understanding there are plenty of turbos out there that spool even as low as 3 pounds if you set the wastegate via boost controller?... So basically this is like a "gettin my feet wet" typa thing.. I'll be diving head first during the summer wen i dont have school and i'll be makin alot more money.
    the summer isn't far away. just a couple of months actually.
    why no piece the parts you need together as you can afford, that way you will have time to jump on good deals instead of being at the mercy of the going rate.
    after a couple of paychecks in the summer you will have all the money you need to have a good setup.

if you try to run a turbo on too low boost, it will creep. and you will end up hitting higher boost than you desire. the wastegate will be overrun.

see the key here man.
    is that if you don't do this right, there won't be a engine to go big with when summer get shere and you start making more money. you'll be spending that money on a rebuild.

are you an automatic?

cause i garuntee you will get a lot more out of a 5 speed swap at this point than a turbo system on 3 psi.

it will make your car quicker in every aspect.
    even lighter.

you might also want to consider lightening your ride.
    get rid of any subs you have. or unneccessery crap in your trunk.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast