The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dealing with Shops about an Alignment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 52
    Andoy

Dealing with Shops about an Alignment

Planning on an alignment following install of TEIN S Tech on my
    2000 ES.

I've been calling around for prices for alignment - getting B.S. from some shops about how "if it's been dropped its going to be more work", may need camber kit, etc., almost like it's a big deal. :x

Is it better to just drive in for the alignment without telling them about the
    spring install? Trying to avoid the rip-off ..

its not gonna be more work for them yes thats BS you should find a place that does a free alighnment CHECK not an actual alighnment then fix your camber to how u want it then go get an actual alightnment and no u dont have to drive in you can call them jus dont mention that your car is lowered.
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

having a lowered car is pretty obvious. i mean if they look at it, they'll know its lowered.

but yea, first thing i'd do is get an alignment check. i mean without doing a check, you really won't know whats out of align. then move on from there.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Well, if you need a camber kit in the rear, then the installation of the kit will be more work. No shop is going to install a camber kit without charging you for the labor of installing it.

Good thread.

I'm going to need an alignment after I install my Eibachs. Should I just show up to a shop and say "align that bad boy" or what?

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g-ridda)</div><div class='quotemain'>its not gonna be more work for them yes thats BS you should find a place that does a free alighnment CHECK not an Â*actual alighnment then fix your camber to how u want it then go get an actual alightnment and no u dont have to drive in you can call them jus dont mention that your car is lowered.</div>

considering there's no way to adjust the rear and front camber without an aftmarket alignment kit, it is going to be a lot more work. but, i can gaurantee they wont have alignment kits for you since each kit is different depending on the car. so all they can do is set your toe in the front and call it a day. if you buy an alignment kit they will have to install it and then set your camber, which can take a while if they're not used to doing it.

also, some alignment shops use optical hubs that attach to each wheel. they need a direct line of site to each other. if the car is too low the bumper might prevent the front two from seeing each other.

from someone who has a front adjustable camber kit and a rear camber kit, i can say that just slapping on some suspension is only the half of it i was a vicitim of shitty tire wear and poor handling, even with my suspension, for a long time. just recently i got everything zeroed out with the camber kits and it greatly improved my handling and the overall ride quality. negative camber sucks
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g-ridda)</div><div class='quotemain'>its not gonna be more work for them yes thats BS you should find a place that does a free alighnment CHECK not an Â*actual alighnment then fix your camber to how u want it then go get an actual alightnment and no u dont have to drive in you can call them jus dont mention that your car is lowered.</div>

considering there's no way to adjust the rear and front camber without an aftmarket alignment kit, it is going to be a lot more work. but, i can gaurantee they wont have alignment kits for you since each kit is different depending on the car. so all they can do is set your toe in the front and call it a day. if you buy an alignment kit they will have to install it and then set your camber, which can take a while if they're not used to doing it.

also, some alignment shops use optical hubs that attach to each wheel. they need a direct line of site to each other. if the car is too low the bumper might prevent the front two from seeing each other.

from someone who has a front adjustable camber kit and a rear camber kit, i can say that just slapping on some suspension is only the half of it i was a vicitim of shitty tire wear and poor handling, even with my suspension, for a long time. just recently i got everything zeroed out with the camber kits and it greatly improved my handling and the overall ride quality. negative camber sucks</div>

very true. my answer was based off what he has,a tein drop will not be to low for the alighnment machine and when i said fix the camber to how he wants it i wasnt talking about the shop i was refering to him doing it hisself.

ANDOY look at the homedepot thread in the "how to" forum it has good info on camber and the cheaper way to fix your camber if its off.

and AMEN i hate negative camber too
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

Experienced TGC Member

Re: Dealing with Shops about an Alignment

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Planning on an alignment following install of TEIN S Tech on my
    2000 ES.

I've been calling around for prices for alignment - getting B.S. from some shops about how "if it's been dropped its going to be more work", may need camber kit, etc., almost like it's a big deal. :x Â*

Is it better to just drive in for the alignment without telling them about the Â*
    spring install? Trying to avoid the rip-off ..</div>

if u dont tell them that u have spring installed then they will do the alignement with the same orignial galant suspension specs..i dont see the point of doing that..so find a shop that do aftermarket alignement..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>if u dont tell them that u have spring installed then they will do the alignement with the same orignial galant suspension specs..i dont see the point of doing that..so find a shop that do aftermarket alignement..</div>

lmao wut are u talking about man? explain yourself, till then thats nonsense ANDOY ignore this^^^comment
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

Andoy
    Think I am going to ask around for a shop that does aftermarket stuff.
    Goin to a regular alignment shop may be mistake- like they are uncomfortable with it and will overcharge with crap about how "hard" it is, etc.
    I asked one alignment shop and he told me" ooohhh, lowering spings!--
    you gonna need an alignemnt kit and so I cant give you a quote"!!!

RIP OFF

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g-ridda)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>if u dont tell them that u have spring installed then they will do the alignement with the same orignial galant suspension specs..i dont see the point of doing that..so find a shop that do aftermarket alignement..</div>

lmao wut are u talking about man? explain yourself, till then thats nonsense ANDOY ignore this^^^comment</div>

Yes ANDOY ignore that comment, take your car to Mr. Tire or something lowered or not they will do it. They will print you out a paper of stock specs and then right underneath will be your current camber specs. You can see how many degrees your camber is off. Your front will be fine. And your rear will not be to bad at all if anything slap a couple washers and bolts on there and do the home depot kit.
    shogun8g: I feel gay

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Think I am going to ask around for a shop that does aftermarket stuff.
    Goin to a regular alignment shop may be mistake- like they are uncomfortable with it and will overcharge with crap about how "hard" it is, etc. Â*
    I asked one alignment shop and he told me" ooohhh, lowering spings!--
    you gonna need an alignemnt kit and so I cant give you a quote"!!! Â*

RIP OFF</div>

Just go into a shop doesnt have to be at all an aftermarket shop and tell them u need an alignment thats it,... you dont need to go into detail about how ur car is lowered or u have springs. They wont be able to tell the damn difference untill you get your alignment done anyway and you dont need their help adjusting it just trying to find the specs.

Andoy
    I was thinking of just going in and see what they'll do,
    but if they come back out and say "you need a camber kit" ( I may buy one ahead of time, for the rears, in case they start on that).
    But then they may make a big deal about it ,and charge me double to put the damn thing on ... trying to avoid the rip off :?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was thinking of just going in and see what they'll do, Â*
    but if they come back out and say "you need a camber kit" ( I may buy one ahead of time, for the rears, in case they start on that).
    But then they may make a big deal about it ,and charge me double to put the damn thing on ... tryting to avoid the rip off :?</div>

Trust me man, just do that. And if they do say you need a camber kit thats not really their concern its yours, all they are doing is getting the specs for you and aligning your suspension. They should not charge you double for anything. Be sure to check out the tutorial link that was posted above. Theres some info in there from myself on the camber kit and alignment etc.

If you go in some shops and u seem clueless to whats goin on they will most likely ripp u off(not all shops)are you or did you lowering the car yourself or have a shop do it?if u did it than trust me u can fix your camber jus read the thread that i posted above it will help u out GREATLY!!!!

dont get an alighnment before u get the free alightnment CHECK you will be wasting money unless u kno for sure u dont need a camber kit or u kno for sure that u have the negative camber your looking for
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

Andoy
    makes sense .. even if they put on the kit it should be no big deal!!

If its just a few washers, why would they charge a lot for that?? unless they're rip offs

Andoy

how about this?

Can my buddy doing the spring install put in the washers?

When I get to the alignment shop they're already in there??

lmao there not gonna put washers in man damn you trippin now, jus read the thread i posted and then comeback and ask questions.
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>makes sense .. even if they put on the kit it should be no big deal!! Â*

If its just a few washers, why would they charge a lot for that?? unless they're rip offs</div>

Which kit are you reffering to the custom home depot kit? If so they would most likely not do that being that its a custom kit from home depot and would not want to be liable for any damages even though nothing bad will happen from using that. I had been using this home depot camber kit on sprint springs 1.8in dropp all around a while ago to now using them With my Tein basic coilovers which is alot more of severe drop and the camber kit has been great even with the coilovers.

And the point of gettin the alignment first is to know how many washers to add to each bolt for the camber kit. 5 washers per bolt will shave off -1 degree. Best thing you can do bro is read up on that tutorial.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast