The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dealing with Shops about an Alignment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 52 of 52
    I've been reading all the suspension threads (thanks for the info btw). I am going to clarify some info that I extracted out of this debate. To avoid being ripped off by the mechanic (and to answer any future noobs like me who asks), let me list the steps and have you guys correct me. I'm using my own car as example so substitute the brand of your choice.

1) Buy the components
    <span style='color:red'>Are rear shock lower & upper bushings strongly recommended?</span>
    2) Install
    3) Alignment / camber check - should be FREE
    4) Install camber kit if needed
    5) Alignment (incl. toe, caster, camber adjustments)

And that's it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhema83)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've been reading all the suspension threads (thanks for the info btw). I am going to clarify some info that I extracted out of this debate. To avoid being ripped off by the mechanic (and to answer any future noobs like me who asks), let me list the steps and have you guys correct me. I'm using my own car as example so substitute the brand of your choice.

1) Buy the components
    <span style='color:red'>Are rear shock lower & upper bushings strongly recommended?</span>
    2) Install
    3) Alignment / camber check - should be FREE
    4) Install camber kit if needed
    5) Alignment (incl. toe, caster, camber adjustments)

And that's it?</div>

If the car is being lowered you should replace the struts, and strut mounts, unless the car is brand new and there is no aftermarket product out. The Strut Mounts may be intact, but lowering the vehicle changes everything.

As for after the car is lowered you may as well not worry about the 'free check' its going to need the alignment, and btw not all shops check your alignment for free.

If lowering its also recommend to have or be prepared to purchase a aftermarket camber kit in the case it is needed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>If the car is being lowered you should replace the struts, and strut mounts, unless the car is brand new and there is no aftermarket product out. Â*The Strut Mounts may be intact, but lowering the vehicle changes everything.

As for after the car is lowered you may as well not worry about the 'free check' its going to need the alignment, and btw not all shops check your alignment for free.

If lowering its also recommend to have or be prepared to purchase a aftermarket camber kit in the case it is needed.</div>
    Okay, there is a confusion of terms here. Struts are in front and shocks are behind. So by strut mounts do you refer to something like the Tein pillow ball upper mounts?

DOHCstunr recommended replacing the rear bushings and I will since the old ones are probably worn, and new ones are cheap. But if the front strut mounts don't need to be replaced for proper operation (I am not building a canyon racer here) then I won't replace them. I have a budget to work with ($500 for entire suspension work - already spent $378 on GR-2's and S-Tech's) and I am not going to blow it for "good to have" parts.

you don't have to replace the mounts bushings or whatever for a spring install.

but, since you have everything apart, and you aren't installing it yourself, and the parts are cheap, you can take advantage and replace them now.

will your car fall apart if you don't replace them? no. but if down the road your car goes squeek squeek squeek cuz the mounts bushings or whatever are busted, then thats more mony out of your pocket.

when i lowered my car the only things i replaced where the springs and the struts. kept the factory bushings mounts, whatever. i haven't had any problems so far, but i do know that if i get some problems due to work bushings and mounts, it isnt' gonna be a big problem since i did the labor myself, i can replace the parts myself, don't have to pay someone to do the work for me.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>you don't have to replace the mounts bushings or whatever for a spring install. Â*

but, since you have everything apart, and you aren't installing it yourself, and the parts are cheap, you can take advantage and replace them now. Â*

will your car fall apart if you don't replace them? no. but if down the road your car goes squeek squeek squeek cuz the mounts bushings or whatever are busted, then thats more mony out of your pocket.

when i lowered my car the only things i replaced where the springs and the struts. kept the factory bushings mounts, whatever. i haven't had any problems so far, but i do know that if i get some problems due to work bushings and mounts, it isnt' gonna be a big problem since i did the labor myself, i can replace the parts myself, don't have to pay someone to do the work for me.</div>
    Thanks for your objective answer. I suppose you have had your car lowered for more than a year now?

The front strut mounts are not cheap actually. And I wish I could DIY (been doing that with my bike since God-knows-when) but I don't have the equipment to get the car off the ground. I don't have my own garage either, so that sucks.

i have 80k on my car now and i think put 20k since i first lowered it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhema83)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Okay, there is a confusion of terms here. Struts are in front and shocks are behind. So by strut mounts do you refer to something like the Tein pillow ball upper mounts?</div>

8Gs have front and rear struts and strut mounts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>DOHCstunr recommended replacing the rear bushings and I will since the old ones are probably worn, and new ones are cheap. But if the front strut mounts don't need to be replaced for proper operation (I am not building a canyon racer here) then I won't replace them. I have a budget to work with ($500 for entire suspension work - already spent $378 on GR-2's and S-Tech's) and I am not going to blow it for "good to have" parts.</div>

Depending on age and mileage you may have to change the mounts, most times you get away without them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    8Gs have front and rear struts and strut mounts.</div>
    I don't recall the 8G have MacPherson struts all around. If they were MPh struts behind then the car would not suffer from camber problems. (MPh struts keep the camber the same throughout strut travel by design.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhema83)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    8Gs have front and rear struts and strut mounts.</div>
    I don't recall the 8G have MacPherson struts all around. If they were MPh struts behind then the car would not suffer from camber problems. (MPh struts keep the camber the same throughout strut travel by design.)</div>

Having or not having struts has nothing to do with camber problems, and I've never heard of the 8G having camber problems. Every car is designed with a certain amount of camber from factory, altering ride height affects that.

ALso probably 85-90% of all passenger cars (excluding Lt.Trucks and SUVs althought now some trucks have struts) utilize four struts, like the Galant of every generation that they've been in the USA.

Andoy
    If you are looking to save money, dont replace the struts unless they are worn ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you are looking to save money, dont replace the struts unless they are worn ...</div>

i say only do that if you're doing the install yourself unloess you want to spend more money in the long run

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you are looking to save money, dont replace the struts unless they are worn ...</div>
    Not save money but work within a budget. Otherwise everybody will be getting the Tein SS-P.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>i say only do that if you're doing the install yourself unloess you want to spend more money in the long run</div>
    And yeah, give me a heated garage to work in and I swear I'll DIY everything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123