The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G Infinity Bypass 101

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

8G Infinity Bypass 101

So you've got an 8g that you want to replace the radio, and the guys at the stereo place say it's gonna cost 200+ to put the radio in because of the amplifier. Fear not!! This will help you do it yourself.

Things you need:
    About 20 ft of speaker wire
    About 2 dozen butt connectors
    2 bass blockers 1khz or higher
    Wire harness - the metra model # is 70-7001
    #2 Phillips screwdriver
    Large flat blade screwdriver
    14mm Deep well socket and ratchet
    Wire strippers
    Crimpers
    pen
    masking tape
    The radio of course!

Ok first things first. take out the stock radio. Then unbolt and remove the passenger seat. If you have the side airbags in the seat, disconnect the battery first, then disconnect the airbag harness. Once the seat is out you want to remove the black plastic piece under the glove compartment. There are 2 pushin pops at the front of it and 2 or 3 pull out pops in the back of it. With that removed you can remove the 1 screw holding the passenger side door sill. Once that screw is out you can pop that sill off. Then remove the screws holding the amp in place unplug the plugs in the amp. The only plug you're going to be dealing with will be that big white one. Now take the speaker wire and cut it into 4 5 foot lengths. Label both ends of each wire LF RF LR RR. Now comes the fun part. Take the speaker wire you labeled LF and in that white plug find the white/blue and black/blue wires, and the Red/blue and orange/blue wires. Cut those wires about an inch or so from the plug and connect one end of 1 of the bass blockers to the red/blue wire amd the other end with the white/blue to the positive of the speaker wire and the black/blue and the orange/blue to the negative of the speaker wire. Next take the speaker wire marked RF and find the brown/red, orange/red, white/red, and black/orange wires. Do the same thing with those, the brown/red to one end of other bass blocker, and the other end with the white/red to the positive and the orange/red with the black/orange to the negative. The LR wire gets hooked to the yellow/blue and the pink/blue wires. Yellow/blue being positive and pink/blue being negative. Yay one more pair of wires to go. The RR speaker wire positive goes to the Yellow/red wire and negative goes to the pink/red wire. Now that you've connected all 4 speaker wires to the amp side, just run them up to the radio cavity. Once that's done all you have to do is hook the LF wire to the white and white/black wires of the new radio harness, the RF to the gray and gray/black wires, the LR wire to the green and green/black wires, and finally the RR wire to the purple and purple/black wires. By the way the wires at the radio I mentioned here the ones with the black stripe on them are the negatives and the solid colors are the positives. Once that's done wire up the red, yellow, blue, and orange (if your aftermarket radio has one) the speaker wires on this harness you won't need(that's why you ran the speaker wire from amp) . You will have to ground the black wire of the radio harness to the metal in the dash. Normally I just use the single screw that holds the radio into the dash. Now throw the new radio in and turn it on and all should be good. Congratulations you just bypassed you're amp yourself. The only other thing you might want to do is remove the center channel speaker since most of the time it sounds like crap after the amp has been bypassed. To do that pry up the grill. Then pry out the speaker. Then cut or disconnect the wire going to it. IF you do cut the wire make sure to tape it up with electrical tape so it dosen't touch any metal in the dash. On a side note sorry for the lack of pictures but I did this at work today and didn't have a camera with me. If anyone in the Jersey area is looking to do this drop me a line. I do it for ya and provide all the parts so I can get some pics up. IF you have any troubles following this let me know I'll try to clear up for ya. Good luck and happy installing.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Good tutorial :thumbsup:

you can also just get a mitah adaptor and use the factory amp and still have use of the center channel speaker.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("pinoyesv6")</div><div class='quotemain'>you can also just get a mitah adaptor and use the factory amp and still have use of the center channel speaker.</div>

Yeah that's always an option. I wrote this only because I've seen quite a few galants, eclipses, stratus, and sebrings where the factory amp has taken a crap. Not to mention if you don't get a radio with front and rear rca preouts then you lose the ability to fade. Which may seem stupid, but I get a lot cheapys that don't want to pay but expect it to work the same way. Ah to each his own. The info is there hopefully someone will find it uselfull.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    you can also just get a mitah adaptor and use the factory amp and still have use of the center channel speaker.
    either that or just change the amplifier as a whole..i got the adaptor though.

malicious
    I plan to do this... thanks for the effort to make a tutorial

I'm going to bypass the amp because I blieve the head unit power to be stronger and cleaner than the factory amp. HU = 4x22w rms

question: my galant is 01 the harness listed states (everywhere for sale) that it's for a 95 .. any difference?

also: could I hard wire everything / is the harness for convenience?

will my kenwood deck not come with any type of harness? haven't gotten yet ....

Damn - just bought a MITAH adapter too... was thinking the factory amp was better than it is...

thanks,

mal

Quote Originally Posted by malicious
    I plan to do this... thanks for the effort to make a tutorial
    I'm going to bypass the amp because I blieve the head unit power to be stronger and cleaner than the factory amp. HU = 4x22w rms
    question: my galant is 01 the harness listed states (everywhere for sale) that it's for a 95 .. any difference?
    also: could I hard wire everything / is the harness for convenience?
    will my kenwood deck not come with any type of harness? haven't gotten yet ....
    Damn - just bought a MITAH adapter too... was thinking the factory amp was better than it is...
    thanks,
    mal

There is not a difference. You're kenwood will come iwth a harness that plugs into the back of it. You could hardwire everything, but yeah the mitsu harness is basically for convience. Since you won't have to test to find constant power, ignition power, illumination, or the power antenna turn on.

malicious
    well i hooked up the mitah and the HU comes on but no sound so i think the amp is shot

water probably got on it from a shampoo job combined with the evap drain leaking onto the passenger side.. it was reallly really wet ..

anyway i'm going to try the above but seems like i might get lost in the blue/white blue/black red/blue LR blue/yellow LF RF orange/white orange/blue<--- go gators lol

cheers,

mal

malicious
    Hey do you know what the second smaller antenna type plug is ...

I didn't have an input for it on my new deck.

well i hooked up the mitah and the HU comes on but no sound so i think the amp is shot

water probably got on it from a shampoo job combined with the evap drain leaking onto the passenger side.. it was reallly really wet ..

anyway i'm going to try the above but seems like i might get lost in the blue/white blue/black red/blue LR blue/yellow LF RF orange/white orange/blue<--- go gators lol

cheers,

mal
    Don't need it. The sotck radio uses 2 differrent antennas to help with reception. The smaller connector is for the secondary antenna.

cheers,

mal
    Don't need it. The sotck radio uses 2 differrent antennas to help with reception. The smaller connector is for the secondary antenna.

malicious
    ok thanks for the fyi....

we've got 4ohm speakers right?

anybody know the specs on them ... rms watts etc..

thanks.

malicious
    worked like a charm

colors were a little different but i figured it out

thanks,

mal

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    where can i get one besides ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87
    where can i get one besides ebay?
    Wiring harnesses and MITAH adapters can be bought at any car audio store, I.E. Best Buy, Circuit City, Car Tunes, or your local Stereo shop.

Quote Originally Posted by cntrylvr79
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("pinoyesv6")</div><div class='quotemain'>you can also just get a mitah adaptor and use the factory amp and still have use of the center channel speaker.</div>

Yeah that's always an option. I wrote this only because I've seen quite a few galants, eclipses, stratus, and sebrings where the factory amp has taken a crap. Not to mention if you don't get a radio with front and rear rca preouts then you lose the ability to fade. Which may seem stupid, but I get a lot cheapys that don't want to pay but expect it to work the same way. Ah to each his own. The info is there hopefully someone will find it uselfull.
    i definitely found it useful. i used the info to bypass my amp and i will have pics posted tomorrow hopefully.