The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Modding Your Stock Harness to work with Jdm Tails

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    GEMINITHUG

Modding Your Stock Harness to work with Jdm Tails

Many of you are getting Jdm tails and are fortunate to get the JDM harness with it but what about the people who will not be so fortunate. one member pmed me and asked how i did mine so i wrote up a little tutorial for him. I searched in here and to my surprise there is not one, so i will post what i wrote up for him. Please put it up some where so that all can see......

First of all, I Geminthug am not responsible for any damages that you may cause to your harness, Your self or your tail lights. modd at your own risk....

Parts you need....

Two 1157 sockets, Electric tape, Wire cutters, Quick Splices, Silicone seal, dremel..

First thing you need to get is a 1157 socket, Some use a 1156 but i used a 1157...also if you can get your hands on a stock harness from a junk yard you will be better off.. Make sure that the socket you get is not huge and is short because you will have fitting problems when you put your light on your car, if the socket is to long your tail light will not be flush on your car and might not fit at all.... On your stock harness locate the socket that is used as the blinker, be sure its your blinker wire so before you start cutting i suggest you put your blinker on in the car and mark the correct socket before you disconnect it from your car ...On your stock harness there is a solid green wire, a black wire, a green and white wire. Cut the green and white wire on the blinker socket ( in the pic its the red circle ) You will not be connecting the end thats connected to your blinker socket so electric tape that end ( again its the red circle in the pic) electric tape it. Use a quick splice and connect the other end of the green and white wire to the positive wire on your 1157 socket.( Blue circle in the pic ) ..Now use a quick splice to splice and connect your ground wire( black wire) on your 1157 socket to the black wire that runs to your blinker socket on your stock harness ( yellow circle in the pic ). Now the hardest part, making the sockets fit.. the only socket that is a direct fit is the blinker socket it should plug right in.. the other three you have to make the holes bigger..use a dremel or what ever tool you can get your hands on that will cut out the plastic in the hole to make it bigger. i used a hot knife lol, because i could not get my hands on a dremel and i wanted my tails on asap, it worked just fine. once the holes are big enough to accept the bigger blubs, put your new socket which is now a new brake light / parking light in the hole right above the hole where the reverse socket goes, reason being that its a little deeper on the tail light and should allow for a snug fit when you put your tails on your car. The stock brake socket goes in the opposite hole which is above the blinker hole..Use the silicone seal to seal around the sockets to hold in place . You can use electrical tape also it worked just fine for me..i just taped all around it and put enough to keep it in place. i have had it on with electric tape almost a year now and no problems.. Now just plug your new harness in. When you cut your parking lights on the whole red part should be lighted, have someone press on the brakes and the brake light should light brighter now.

so by doing this, this allows that turn signal to only be a turn signal and not a parking light correct? but you are still using the two filament bulb as the indicator bulb?

or did you convert the USDM turn signal into a brake/parking light, and then wire in a new indicator to be a one filament bulb?

quicksplice = ew. use solder and heat shrink.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    quicksplice = ew. use solder and heat shrink.
    X2 ^^^
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

TGC Regular
    can someone post a link here for the tut with all those pics and such? I don't remember the website.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Hu?

Quote Originally Posted by lKoRTy
    can someone post a link here for the tut with all those pics and such? I don't remember the website.
    Did you sell yours? did you get another set?

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rez887
    Did you sell yours? did you get another set?
    No i sold mine to G-Spot. I just remember there was a website with detailed pictures and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lKoRTy
    No i sold mine to G-Spot. I just remember there was a website with detailed pictures and stuff.
    If G-spot has problem to make a harness tell him to call me.

Actually it's not that hard. Had to disect the harness to get a full understand and all of sudden it became clear. I wish I did back in 2003 if the making a harness was that easy...

BTW I lost my alternator to the initial LEDs wiring. Short circuit caused an over surge from my battery to my alternator, shutting down almost all electrical component except my engine lol. Don't worry, bought a brand new alternator and it's running fine now.

TGC Regular
    im, not saying he has a problem... I'm saying there was a website... with pictures... if any member needs info on how to make harness....

I found this pic in my computer I wonder if this helps if any..

TGC Regular