The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: V6 Engine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39
    galant_got_speed

V6 Engine...

I know this topic has MOST likely been ripped to shreds but i always get frustrated using the search because it doesnt really filter all that well...lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-2000-2...1QQcmdZViewItem

If i were to buy that, i'd need a new tranny and what else? i really love my galant but would like some more power out of it and i cant stand the 4 cylinder...Thanks for those who dont flame lol

you know it would be cheaper and easier to trade your i4 in for a v6. or even better, turbo the car

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    you know it would be cheaper and easier to trade your i4 in for a v6. or even better, turbo the car
    you think it would be easier to just trade it in? i dont wanna turbo because it has a lot of miles (85k) i dont need a blown motor a year down the road...i live in new hampshire so there arent THAT many G's floatin around lol

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galant_got_speed
    you think it would be easier to just trade it in? i dont wanna turbo because it has a lot of miles (85k) i dont need a blown motor a year down the road...i live in new hampshire so there arent THAT many G's floatin around lol
    you dont have to worrie about blowing your engine from turbo,, as long as its installed right and you keep up with maitence, it wont just shut down on you like that

unless you are getting parts for free, or even better, labor for free then its gonna be cheaper to trade the car in. parts can be expensive and even if you get thtat for free, labor costs even more than parts. then factor in all the down time you'll have and the head scratching you'd have to do.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    in order to swap from 4 cyl to V6 you would need the entire front cross member assembly, control arms, knuckles, possibly struts, axles, engine, transmission, wiring harness and ECU. Those parts from a junkyard would probably cost you about $2500 or so. Believe it or not, if you were able to get the whole assembly, all as 1 piece, you could drop out yours and just bolt that one into place, that would make the labor much cheaper, maybe about $1500 for the install with changing the wiring and shit, so thats $4,000 total, you can buy a used 8g V6, the entire car for about $6500. It is possible, but more cost and time effective to trade or just flat out buy another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I live life a 1/4 Mile at a time...for those 17 seconds im free....
    that's awesome

But yeah, even at 85k, I'd rather consider boosting the G, you just have to do it right.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    where in NH? I'm in Maine; Orono.

Experienced TGC Member
    You don't want a V6. They are BARELY faster than the I4, and still too slow to even considering swaping in for performance upgrade.

Its cheaper, easier, and much more beneficial to simply go turbo with the I4 (god only knows I wouldn't mind trading you my V6).

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    You don't want a V6. They are BARELY faster than the I4, and still too slow to even considering swaping in for performance upgrade.

Its cheaper, easier, and much more beneficial to simply go turbo with the I4 (god only knows I wouldn't mind trading you my V6).
    BARELY faster? the V6 runs what? low to mid 16 quarter miles? the I4 runs friggen 17+ prob in the high to low 18's, completely ridiculous how slow it is.

Dont get me started on the high end power, completely non existent, i can hang with ppl until 100 where i hit some huge magical wall and it takes me FOREVER to hit 120...im strongly considering turbo...just i dont no where to go in my part of the country for installation...

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    where in NH? I'm in Maine; Orono.
    Nashua, NH...never heard of Orono before..i have family that lives way up in Bangor/Southwest Harbor, i go there every labor day weekend. Do you know of any places in our general area that are known for turbo installs? i cant seem to find any place around here...

Orono is 5 mins North of Bangor.. I was jus in Bangor... as far as turbo installs theres a place in Portland F1 Motorsports I think its called... I'll have to get back to you on that... nice place, have a sweet dyno there.. cool owner..

actually its called F1 Dyno i think

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    actually its called F1 Dyno i think
    Portland is relatively close to me, id like to get turbo done...i dont have the cash in hand tho...id have to borrow to do something like that...prob be well worth it tho...what kind of times have people been seen running with turbo'ed I4's?? im guessing they get about 180whp?? or am i shooting too high? lol

check out rippmods supercharger if you want some hp.

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by bebopin64
    Yah supercharging is fine and dandy...but id rather have more top end power...from my knowledge turbos r much better top end than superchargers, besides im pretty sure turboing is a bit cheaper than supercharging..at least for our cars neway, thanks for the suggestion tho!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black

BARELY faster? the V6 runs what? low to mid 16 quarter miles? the I4 runs friggen 17+ prob in the high to low 18's, completely ridiculous how slow it is.

Dont get me started on the high end power, completely non existent, i can hang with ppl until 100 where i hit some huge magical wall and it takes me FOREVER to hit 120...im strongly considering turbo...just i dont no where to go in my part of the country for installation...
    Differance between 17 and 16.5 is tiny. The differance between 10 and 10.5 is large.

The power differance between the V6 and the I4 is all of about 50 whp.

NOT a large differance. Barely faster. Black Pearl (Dustin) and I lined up a while back. I couldn't pass him till I hit 3rd gear. Of course the fact that he has quite a few NA bolts surely helped. But none the less, the V6 and I4 are excruciatingly slow. In the end its a terrible idea to want to swap in a V6. If you want to swap in any engine, go the route that Stewi has gone and throw in a Evo motor. It weights less, has a bigger aftermarket, and comes out of the box strong as shit.

Its basicly better in every way imaginable than the anemic V6.

Yah supercharging is fine and dandy...but id rather have more top end power...from my knowledge turbos r much better top end than superchargers, besides im pretty sure turboing is a bit cheaper than supercharging..at least for our cars neway, thanks for the suggestion tho!
    Top end power is a function of many things. Not simply turbos vs superchargers. But thats another discussion.

Either way, turbo is much simpler (atleast for the I4), and probably a whole lot cheaper + reliable.

BTW About the search, make sure you check "Search for all terms", or else it will search each and every word separately (I believe adding a plus does the same thing as well ~ not sure).

The rippmods stage 2 supercharger is about as good as it gets for any rpm range. Anyway, low end power is what todays engines lack.

Experienced TGC Member
    The rippmods stage 2 supercharger is about as good as it gets for any rpm range. Anyway, low end power is what todays engines lack.
    Try a 13G for low end power.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bebopin64)</div><div class='quotemain'>check out rippmods supercharger if you want some hp.</div>

Listen to me (or to the others here, or read a little bit more on this)

Want more power? Turbo is your answer on the I4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast