The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: safe to drive on tire with bubble in it?

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

safe to drive on tire with bubble in it?

i hit a sick pothole today. it was more like the size of a grave and like 8 inches deep. seems that some Con-Ed workers cut open the street but didnt patch up the hole. now my tire has a small bubble in it. my rim looks fine tho. just a slight slight bend that you cant really see but the tire has a small bump on it. is it safe to drive on? it was a new tire. falken ziex512

not safe at all.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

don't do it. I got stuck out on the interstate because of that

No you shouldn't drive on it. However if you need to replace the tire, depending on who was working on the street you can get them to pay for it.
    1994 GS DOHC I4 2.4L Auto

"Good friends will help you move. True friends will help you move bodies."

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slick_rick)</div><div class='quotemain'>No you shouldn't drive on it. Â*However if you need to replace the tire, depending on who was working on the street you can get them to pay for it.</div>

ha ha, in NY.....Good luck. Talk to Jason (MRJAYDEEONE) about that. He tried to get his rim replaced...didn't really happen.
    -Pedro

getting a city to pay for damage on your car caused by a pot hole is only done a case by case system. some people will get a new tire out of it, some won't. find out if the city was working there or what company was and send them a letter describing the problem and a copy of the bill you paid for replacing the tire, they might send you a check for re-imbursment.

"If Wal-Mart is lowering prices everyday, how come nothing is free yet"

alright. im gonna try that guys. i know Con-Ed was working there earlier in the week. and the next time i drive by the street, they left a grave size ditch in the middle of the street.

woodsgalant

Re: safe to drive on tire with bubble in it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qnz)</div><div class='quotemain'>i hit a sick pothole today. it was more like the size of a grave and like 8 inches deep. seems that some Con-Ed workers cut open the street but didnt patch up the hole. now my tire has a small bubble in it. my rim looks fine tho. just a slight slight bend that you cant really see but the tire has a small bump on it. is it safe to drive on? it was a new tire. falken ziex512</div>

The bubble on your tire is called an impact break - basically permanent damage to the steel belts in your tire. I hit a curb a couple years back and developed one of these myself, though unknowingly as it was on the inside of the tire (don't ask). I drove on it for over a year like that until it was brought to my attention during a tire rotation, whereby I immediately replaced the tire. I got lucky, but don't advise that you try the same.

Good luck getting your city to pay for the rim. It happens all the time here in Columbus, and they only credit you for damage to the wheel beyond a minimum insurance deductible of $500. So if your wheel is worth more than $500 here, you might get the difference after a lot of red tape - mighty generous.

I would suggest agaisnt the driving with a bubble, i've done it a few of times. It just a ticking time bomb, you will get a blow out you just dont know when, could be causual driving in the city, or on the highway which is not fun or safe.

I would put on your spare and change the tire asap.
    Signature wanted call: 1800-Darkkend

<a>Take Better Photoshots Tips from the Pro's</a>

Staten Island, New York. & Piscataway, NJ
    if its in the back, it wouldnt matter too much right?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chromey)</div><div class='quotemain'>if its in the back, it wouldnt matter too much right?</div>

It still does, its still going to blow out at some point, and depending how big the bubble cause vibrations while you drive.

If you cant replace the tire (the reason why i drove on the bubble for a while $) try not to drive to aggrisive or too fast, and have a spare ready.
    Signature wanted call: 1800-Darkkend

<a>Take Better Photoshots Tips from the Pro's</a>

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    I remember when the city use to pay for the damage to the car that a pothole would make. But they dont do that anymore and even if they did, you wouldnt hear or see any doe for a few years.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Got any pics. I never seen a bubble on a low profile tire. I would like to know what to look out for if it does happen to me.

Staten Island, New York. & Piscataway, NJ
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darkkend)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chromey)</div><div class='quotemain'>if its in the back, it wouldnt matter too much right?</div>

It still does, its still going to blow out at some point, and depending how big the bubble cause vibrations while you drive.

If you cant replace the tire (the reason why i drove on the bubble for a while $) try not to drive to aggrisive or too fast, and have a spare ready.</div>

i fell into a fucking pothole, deeper than dino's mouth last month while driving at night. next morning when i checked, both my passenger side tires had bubbles. the front one was SHOT, the bubble was so dam big that the tire was almost about to pop off the rim. i had that shit changed the same day, but my rear still has a minor bubble. ive been riding around with a full size spare just in case

my bubble was in the back on the inside, so I couldn't see it.

Experienced TGC Member
    yeah driving with a titty in ur tire is bad..... but yeah u'll know it there

well i replaced the tire today. didnt get any pics b4 i took it off. it wasnt that big or noticeable. about the size of 4 quarters stacked. when deflated, the tire looks normal and u cant even see the bump anymore

i had a bubble and tried to drive across town. didnt work

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well i replaced the tire today. didnt get any pics b4 i took it off. it wasnt that big or noticeable. about the size of 4 quarters stacked. when deflated, the tire looks normal and u cant even see the bump anymore
    Make sure you scrap the tire, its useless.