The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Too heavy for 4 cyl?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28
    Andoy

Too heavy for 4 cyl?

Been riding on American Racing Estrellas 17 x 7.5 weigh in at 20 lbs. each and, at 7.5, are wider than stock. Feel a bit of a lag on acceleration vs. my stock 15's, but they look good and handle great in corners. Offset 42.
    I am planning to drop car soon also.

Think it's too much rim for stock l4?

IMO, the G is too much car for a stock 4 cyl.

Andoy
    damn, shoulda probably gone with a lighter weight 17 x 7 or 16 x 7?
    These rims are CHUNKY

GPTourer
    No it is not too much rim. It is all in your mind.

Andoy
    could be right .. but the wheels seem lot more massive than the stock 15s ..

u just need to adjust to the weight changes.balance it out by adding more power.

Andoy
    yeah like maybe cold air intake and ...

having a wheel wider than stock isn't going to improve your acceleration either.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Re: Too heavy for 4 cyl?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Been riding on American Racing Estrellas 17 x 7.5 weigh in at 20 lbs. each and, at 7.5, are wider than stock. Feel a bit of a lag on acceleration vs. my stock 15's, but they look good and handle great in corners. Offset 42.

Think it's too much rim for stock l4?</div>

My stocks are heavier than my rims, the lag you feel is probably b/c of the increase in wheel circumference. I remember seeing info on this on tuner transformation (i think)

Back from the dead!!!

Andoy
    thinking that THATS the problem, the 7.5s look pretty damn wide ..

TGC Regular
    If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.
    only 20lbs? I seriously doubt it. Have you weighed your stock rims? They might be heavier. My rims are chrome 19s and they weigh less than my friends stock eclipse rims he had on his G and those arent the big steely ones either. they are these kind...

These are mine...

...so its all perspective. Im not sure if this is the kind of lag you are talking about but:

Have you tightened up your throttle cable? That will help with the response. Make sure to pull it just tight enough to where u hear a VERY slight increase in your idle. Any more than that and you'll be wasting gas and your car will want to be pulling real hard when you are stopped with your foot on the brake.

...U N D E A D...

Andoy
    that would help for sure,

but thinking that my new rims are 1 1/2" wider than stock 15 x 6 , thats a lot. Probably shoulda not gone wider than 7

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>that would help for sure,

but thinking that my new rims are 1 1/2" wider than stock 15 x 6 , thats a lot. Â*Probably shoulda not gone wider than 7</div>

nope. or else this is going out the window:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>but they look good and handle great in corners. </div>

they wont look good and they wont handle great in corners. 7-7.5" is pretty standard. now, 8.5" like I have is a little rough, but I wouldnt say that I feel any lag because of how wide they are.

and that guy above who said that wider tires make you lose power or whatever-well Im not going to discredit him or anything-but that just sounds rediculous. It might happen, but not so much that you could actually feel it. that seems like it might be more likely to happen on a much smaller scale. Like something with very very little power. like battery operated, and you move to a tire thats twice as wide. I dont know what this contraption would be, but it really doesnt seem feasible to me with a passenger vehicle.

...U N D E A D...

I've actually had those same rims in that size, and I do think they are heavier than 20lbs - I remember when switching from the stock 16" alloys to these rims it definitely felt a lot heavier.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've actually had those same rims in that size, and I do think they are heavier than 20lbs - I remember when switching from the stock 16" alloys to these rims it definitely felt a lot heavier.</div>

you have to add in the wieght of a heavier tire as well.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've actually had those same rims in that size, and I do think they are heavier than 20lbs - I remember when switching from the stock 16" alloys to these rims it definitely felt a lot heavier.</div>

you have to add in the wieght of a heavier tire as well.</div>

That close to another 20lbs right there

I was saying the increase in overall circumference or diameter of the wheel/tire combo, might effect the acceleration of your vehicle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Titan)</div><div class='quotemain'>and that guy above who said that wider tires make you lose power or whatever-well Im not going to discredit him or anything-but that just sounds rediculous. It might happen, but not so much that you could actually feel it. that seems like it might be more likely to happen on a much smaller scale. Like something with very very little power. like battery operated, and you move to a tire thats twice as wide. I dont know what this contraption would be, but it really doesnt seem feasible to me with a passenger vehicle.</div>

Back from the dead!!!

You are here entirely tooo much!!

Re: Too heavy for 4 cyl?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Been riding on American Racing Estrellas 17 x 7.5 weigh in at 20 lbs. each and, at 7.5, are wider than stock. Feel a bit of a lag on acceleration vs. my stock 15's, but they look good and handle great in corners. Offset 42.

Think it's too much rim for stock l4?</div>

Shit 20 pounds, try 48 pounds a piece with tire on 17's. Now thats heavy.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shortdogg2k05)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was saying the increase in overall circumference or diameter of the wheel/tire combo, might effect the acceleration of your vehicle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TITAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>and that guy above who said that wider tires make you lose power or whatever-well Im not going to discredit him or anything-but that just sounds rediculous. It might happen, but not so much that you could actually feel it. that seems like it might be more likely to happen on a much smaller scale. Like something with very very little power. like battery operated, and you move to a tire thats twice as wide. I dont know what this contraption would be, but it really doesnt seem feasible to me with a passenger vehicle.</div></div>

I see. But again, you should not do this anyway. My 19s are not any bigger in overall circumference or diameter from the stock. If you laid them down and outlined the stock, the aftermarket 1 would fit in the same area, just now there is more rim and less rubber.

but I do know what you mean and it still baffles me to this day that people get a aftermarket tire size that is not at least within 1/2" of their original tire size.

...U N D E A D...

titan how you gonna lie? 24.9" (205/55/16) and 25.5" (235/35/19) is bigger in diameter...not to mention increased mass for the car to actually turn (the bigger rim) so there probably is less acceleration from stock, but not enough to really notice unless you take your car to the track daily for quarter mile passes...

and you guys think 40lbs of rim and tire is heavy? i rotated my tank tracks...come to find out they're about 60lbs of wheel and tire...stock! :cry:
    President Team DNA IL Chapter
    [email protected]
    www.dnaracing.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast