The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Too heavy for 4 cyl?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    wider tires will slow down accelration as well as decrease your top speed but the handling will improve and like you mentioned they look better. The changes are so slight that 9 times out of 10 its all in your head. pro's and con's if you want the best of both worlds grab some lightweight wheels but they cost drasticaly more..

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Plus with widers tires/wheels, makes a larger contact patch with the road. Since you have power steering, you probably will not notice a difference in the steering pressure, but if you dont have power steering, it will become tougher to steer.

And its not so much the weight addition, its the weight of the rotating mass that the car has to overcome, not just the overall weight of the wheel. Which is really the same thing, but not really

You can get a light weight set of 15/16s weighing 16lbs or less for a descent price without paying the price of forged wheels(which are light, strong, but expensive). I think 17s are a great size, just need to find a nice lightweight set.
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>titan how you gonna lie? Â* 24.9" (205/55/16) and 25.5" (235/35/19) is bigger in diameter...not to mention increased mass for the car to actually turn (the bigger rim) Â* so there probably is less acceleration from stock, but not enough to really notice unless you take your car to the track daily for quarter mile passes...

and you guys think 40lbs of rim and tire is heavy? Â*i rotated my tank tracks...come to find out they're about 60lbs of wheel and tire...stock! Â*:cry:</div>

I was gonna say....cause my 195/60/15 vs my 225/40/18 is an increase.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Titan)</div><div class='quotemain'> Â*
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shortdogg2k05)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was saying the increase in overall circumference or diameter of the wheel/tire combo, might effect the acceleration of your vehicle. </div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Titan)</div><div class='quotemain'>and that guy above who said that wider tires make you lose power or whatever-well Im not going to discredit him or anything-but that just sounds rediculous. It might happen, but not so much that you could actually feel it. that seems like it might be more likely to happen on a much smaller scale. Like something with very very little power. like battery operated, and you move to a tire thats twice as wide. I dont know what this contraption would be, but it really doesnt seem feasible to me with a passenger vehicle. </div>

I see. But again, you should not do this anyway. My 19s are not any bigger in overall circumference or diameter from the stock. If you laid them down and outlined the stock, the aftermarket 1 would fit in the same area, just now there is more rim and less rubber.

but I do know what you mean and it still baffles me to this day that people get a aftermarket tire size that is not at least within 1/2" of their original tire size.</div>

You are right you will not notice it. The only way they proved that theory was on the dyno.

Back from the dead!!!

Re: Too heavy for 4 cyl?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Been riding on American Racing Estrellas 17 x 7.5 weigh in at 20 lbs. each and, at 7.5, are wider than stock. Feel a bit of a lag on acceleration vs. my stock 15's, but they look good and handle great in corners. Offset 42.
    I am planning to drop car soon also.

Think it's too much rim for stock l4?</div>

Shit 20 pounds, try 48 pounds a piece with tire on 17's. Now thats heavy.</div>

Thats light. Try 150lbs wheel and tire.

Btw, 20lbs is roughly what the stock 17s weigh, stock aluminum 15s a little less, factory steel wheels will weigh more than aftermarket chrome 17s.

TGC Regular
    If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>titan how you gonna lie? Â* 24.9" (205/55/16) and 25.5" (235/35/19) is bigger in diameter...not to mention increased mass for the car to actually turn (the bigger rim) Â* so there probably is less acceleration from stock, but not enough to really notice unless you take your car to the track daily for quarter mile passes...

and you guys think 40lbs of rim and tire is heavy? Â*i rotated my tank tracks...come to find out they're about 60lbs of wheel and tire...stock! Â*:cry:</div>

haha! dewd, Im not lying. If they were infact so much "bigger" as you so adamantly claim(oooooh 1/2"), my speedo would be way off right? Well, guess what buttface!?!? It wasn't off but 2-3 mph.

comparison: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculato...p?action=submit

blank form: http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

approx 1/2" or 3% difference. You are seriously gonna split hairs over 3%??? Thats a difference of 1/4 on each side of the wheel. I'm pretty sure that even you, Mr. Laser Eyes, wouldn't be able to see a difference.

...U N D E A D...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keithert)</div><div class='quotemain'>IMO, the G is too much car for a stock 4 cyl.</div>
    You gotta agree with that, lmao.

Andoy
    Well my total wheel and tires weighs in at least 42 lbs. each --

I am running on 205-50-17s an unusual size (its Porsche size)
    but the RPMs and the tire height match my OE tire (195-65-15)! according to tirerack chart. That means no change on speedo and
    That's why I tried them.

Was wondering if its the heaviness of the tire that's slowing me down??
    and not just the rim??

TGC Regular
    If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>Was wondering if its the heaviness of the tire that's slowing me down??
    and not just the rim??</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Plus with widers tires/wheels, makes a larger contact patch with the road. Â*Since you have power steering, you probably will not notice a difference in the steering pressure, but if you dont have power steering, it will become tougher to steer.

And its not so much the weight addition, its the weight of the rotating mass that the car has to overcome, not just the overall weight of the wheel. Â*Which is really the same thing, but not really

You can get a light weight set of 15/16s weighing 16lbs or less for a descent price without paying the price of forged wheels(which are light, strong, but expensive). Â*I think 17s are a great size, just need to find a nice lightweight set.</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>wider tires will slow down accelration as well as decrease your top speed but the handling will improve and like you mentioned they look better. Â*The changes are so slight that 9 times out of 10 its all in your head. Â* pro's and con's Â*if you want the best of both worlds grab some lightweight wheels but they cost drasticaly more..</div>

short answer, yes. most likely though, not enough for you to really notice so, fugghedaboudit!!!!!!!!!!!

...U N D E A D...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12