The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrading to GTS Headlights?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 44
    Rising_Suns

Upgrading to GTS Headlights?

Hey all,
    I was curious if there is a way to upgrade from a Galant ES/LS/etc headlight assembly to the GTS headlight assembly.

Has anyone tried cutting the 9007 plug off, and replacing it with a 9005/6 plug?

Thanks!

-Davide

Rising_Suns
    Ok. Since this post has had 32 views so far, and no responses, I will go ahead and talk to myself then.

So I noticed something interesting: I can get a fog light kit from the dealership for $100 (which I did already). These come stock on the GTS, but not on the lower models. The neat thing is, the LS is already wired for the fog light upgrade, so all you need to do is plug in the lights and the switch and you're in business. The kit comes with everything you need. It's a simple 15 minute job.

The reason why I bring this up, is because the fog lights are H1's, and I noticed that they seem to be simialr in shape and size to that of the 9005/6's that the GTS lights require.

So, just maybe, (and I'm really stretching here), I could get the H1's to fit properly in the 9006 (projector) slot on the GTS assembly. If this works, then I can get an H1 HID kit and I'm good to go: GTS headlights with HID's on a non-GTS galant (never thought it would be possible).

So, I already bought myself a driver side GTS headlight assembly on ebay (to experiment with), so I'll go ahead and see if I can work out something.

Another thought I had was to disassemble the headlight assembly, and perhaps interchange parts. But it appears as if the inner components of the headlight is basically one piece...if not one piece, then glued (sealed) pretty darn well together.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, in case some straggler comes by with a brighter idea than my ghetto fisher price ideas (which I'm praying is the case).

-Davide

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar

Re: Upgrading to GTS Headlights?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rising_Suns)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey all,
    I was curious if there is a way to upgrade from a Galant ES/LS/etc headlight assembly to the GTS headlight assembly. Â*

Has anyone tried cutting the 9007 plug off, and replacing it with a 9005/6 plug?

Thanks!

-Davide</div>

hmmm... so no introduction ey?

Q1: Yes. Its a complete bolt on besides the low/high beam bulbs.
    Q2: Yes. I have.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rising_Suns)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok. Since this post has had 32 views so far, and no responses, I will go ahead and talk to myself then.

So I noticed something interesting: I can get a fog light kit from the dealership for $100 (which I did already). These come stock on the GTS, but not on the lower models. The neat thing is, the LS is already wired for the fog light upgrade, so all you need to do is plug in the lights and the switch and you're in business. The kit comes with everything you need. It's a simple 15 minute job. Â*

The reason why I bring this up, is because the fog lights are H1's, and I noticed that they seem to be simialr in shape and size to that of the 9005/6's that the GTS lights require. Â*

So, just maybe, (and I'm really stretching here), I could get the H1's to fit properly in the 9006 (projector) slot on the GTS assembly. If this works, then I can get an H1 HID kit and I'm good to go: GTS headlights with HID's on a non-GTS galant (never thought it would be possible).

So, I already bought myself a driver side GTS headlight assembly on ebay (to experiment with), so I'll go ahead and see if I can work out something. Â*

Another thought I had was to disassemble the headlight assembly, and perhaps interchange parts. But it appears as if the inner components of the headlight is basically one piece...if not one piece, then glued (sealed) pretty darn well together.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, in case some straggler comes by with a brighter idea than my ghetto fisher price ideas (which I'm praying is the case).

-Davide</div>

1. all of the models are wired up for the foglights.
    2. why buy an H1 HIDs when you can buy HID kits for 9006?
    3. how much did you pay for it?
    4. its actually 3 peice if you include the body itself and the lens. Get a heat gun to seperate the lens from the body. once you open it up, the black chrome that you see is connected to the lens by 2 small screws.
    5. pics! pics! pics!

Rising_Suns

Re: Upgrading to GTS Headlights?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rising_Suns)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey all,
    I was curious if there is a way to upgrade from a Galant ES/LS/etc headlight assembly to the GTS headlight assembly. Â*

Thanks!

-Davide</div>

hmmm... so no introduction ey?

Q1: Yes. Its a complete bolt on besides the low/high beam bulbs.
    Q2: Yes. I have.</div>

You've done this? Any problems? CEL throw any code?

You see, ultimately I'd like to put HID's in the GTS lights. Done this too?

yupyup. theres another member who has hids, too. maybe more but im not sure.

No problems at all since i can't think of any reasons why it would cause the engine light to turn on or throw a code.

Just buy a 9006 HID Kit and you'ld be set. well, youll need the passenger side headlight but other than that, you'll just need to slipce some wires and as long as you do it right, everything should work as how you want it to be.

Rising_Suns
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G)</div><div class='quotemain'>1. all of the models are wired up for the foglights.
    2. why buy an H1 HIDs when you can buy HID kits for 9006?
    3. how much did you pay for it?
    4. its actually 3 peice if you include the body itself and the lens. Get a heat gun to seperate the lens from the body. once you open it up, the black chrome that you see is connected to the lens by 2 small screws.
    5. pics! pics! pics! </div>

1. didn't know that.

2. I see what your saying. I didn't realize that the power supply to the H1 fogs would be sufficient for 9006 HID bulbs. So all I would need then, is a 9006 male connector. Know where I can get one?

3. $200 shipped

4. Aha. Thanks!

5. In due time.

wows. $200 each. Must be brand spankin new!!!

well as for the wiring stuff, first, how do you want them to turn on?

1. on all the time
    2. on only when you turn on the headlight switch. (alot of work because of DRL)
    3. my setup. i have my 9006 HIDs connected to the foglight wires so they only turn on when you press the fog light switch. I also have it wired with a 9006 connector just in case i need to put a halogen bulb on them. My lowbeam wires are connected to the fog lights so the fogs are on all the time because of DRL.

Rising_Suns
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G)</div><div class='quotemain'>wows. $200 each. Must be brand spankin new!!!

well as for the wiring stuff, first, how do you want them to turn on? Â*

1. on all the time
    2. on only when you turn on the headlight switch. (alot of work because of DRL)
    3. my setup. i have my 9006 HIDs connected to the foglight wires so they only turn on when you press the fog light switch. I also have it wired with a 9006 connector just in case i need to put a halogen bulb on them. Â*My lowbeam wires are connected to the fog lights so the fogs are on all the time because of DRL.</div>

Well, I was leaning towards your setup (#3), but I wasn't sure if the fogs power supply was ample enough for 9006 HID's. But if you did it without any issues, then I'll probably take this route.

So, where can I get a 9006 male connector?

And thanks for the help!!!

-Davide

you can get a 9006 connector from any auto stores. i got 4 from advance auto parts and modified 2 of them so they would fit the 9005 high beam lights.

BTW, hid kits use 35W per side instead of the regular 55W each hologen bulb use.

Rising_Suns
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G)</div><div class='quotemain'>you can get a 9006 connector from any auto stores. i got 4 from advance auto parts and modified 2 of them so they would fit the 9005 high beam lights.

BTW, hid kits use 35W per side instead of the regular 55W each hologen bulb use.</div>

I see, thanks!

Quick question; How do you power the 9005's?

Thanks again for the info. It's good to see that someone else paved the way ahead of my. I was beginning to get worried that I'd have to be the guinny pig.

just find the wire for the high beam. when you splice the 9007 connector, there are 3 wires. ground, low, and high. just use a test light or a multimeter to check which is which.

Rising_Suns
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G)</div><div class='quotemain'>just find the wire for the high beam. when you splice the 9007 connector, there are 3 wires. ground, low, and high. just use a test light or a multimeter to check which is which.</div>

:idea:

That's good to know. I just assumed that the highbeam and low beam in were in 1 variable current wire (I'm a mechanical engineer, not an EE, as you can see.)

Thanks!

3 wires on each headlight(on the es/ls model, the three wires all go in the 9007 connector) so they both use the same ground but have 2 different wires for the high and the low. You'll see when you pull the plug for your headlights now.

Rising_Suns
    Just out of curiosity, which HID kit do you have. I'm unsure which one to buy. I had a Prolumen 5000K kit on my old M3, and was pretty happy with it. It had a nice purple hue to it. But I think I'd like something a little whiter this time, perhaps with a slight blue tint...not sure if there is something in between 4300K and 5000K though.

i have the mcculah(???) kit. bought it from ebay about a year ago for $300. my ttemp light is 6000k. i started with 5300k thinking it was white but it ended up looking yellowish so i got the 6000k and it more whitish/purpleish and looks OEM or comparable to other cars who has oem hids.

Rising_Suns
    awesome. do you have any pics of the setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Rising_Suns

So I noticed something interesting: I can get a fog light kit from the dealership for $100 (which I did already). These come stock on the GTS, but not on the lower models. The neat thing is, the LS is already wired for the fog light upgrade, so all you need to do is plug in the lights and the switch and you're in business. The kit comes with everything you need. It's a simple 15 minute job.

That is awesome...gonna have to look into that. So did the kit come with the foglights, wiring, and switch?

Rising_Suns
    Quote Originally Posted by 5280nineG
    That is awesome...gonna have to look into that. So did the kit come with the foglights, wiring, and switch?
    The kit comes with everything you need; the fog lights, the switch, fuse, and directions. No wires, since the wiring is already there. All you do is plug in the lights, snap in the switch and the fuse, and that's it.

Thanks! Do you know of anywhere online I could order it...I hate going to the dealership but I will if I have to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast