The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OBX Headers question

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

OBX Headers question

Well I've been looking at this for a while...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-EXHAUST...041872642QQrdZ1

1-From the search I did, some people say that the secound part is not long enough to fit in any galant? I don't have a cali spec galant (I live in florida). So does that mean the header will not fit?(bolt on easly, requires custom job)? I didn't find a clear answer in the search so i was woundering about that.

2- from the search, I can't find any post with an actually proof of improvemnt to installing the header that I listed( if it fits). Basicly I have stock exhaust system. I'm not interested in the muffler part. But I want to know if there is anyone who bought the obx header I listed and just bolted the two parts on and did no muffler or the rest is stock and noticed any increase in preformance? in another word, IS it worth it really or am I wasting $200?

3- with stock muffler, will the sound change?

I hope to get an answer soon Beacuse I want to decide on it today.

no gain will be seening.

the main restriction is from CAT to muffler.

there are two reasons why one should get headers. A. they look better than the stock manifold. and B. they make the car louder. looking for gains from headers is like asking a blind person to tell you what color shirt you're wearing. you'll be lucky if you see anything.

i must say though. the main restrictions are from the manifold to the main cat. not from the main cat to the muffler. that piping is actually pretty good. you'll see more gains in power by getting headers than you would from a cat back. although with both they are very small if any gains.

but yea no matter what kinda cat back you have, aftermarket, stock, or a mix of the two, headers will make your car louder than it was with the stock manifold.

as for your car not being a cali spec galant, i am almost positive that your car is a cali spec. you have a 2001 and non cali spec galants were really rare in 2001. the 2001 non cali spec galants were the first of the 2001 lineup and were only non cali spec to get rid of parts left over from 2000

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

the cali spec means that there is a space for the cat between the header and the second pipe that goes back. if you do not have a cat in that location, then you probably need the one piece. i have a cali spec so i got the two piece.
    2001 Mitsu Galant ES 4Cyl.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    i must say though. the main restrictions are from the manifold to the main cat. not from the main cat to the muffler. that piping is actually pretty good. you'll see more gains in power by getting headers than you would from a cat back. although with both they are very small if any gains.

but yea no matter what kinda cat back you have, aftermarket, stock, or a mix of the two, headers will make your car louder than it was with the stock manifold.
    You say that the restriction is from the manifold(?) to main cat, are you saying the secound part in the ebay thing I listed (the pipe) is what's restricting the air(or that part stock in the car is what's restricing the air and that the secound pipe in the obx listing would "help")?

I'm just making sure I get you. thats all.

Amanda Huginkiss
    there are two reasons why one should get headers. A. they look better than the stock manifold. and B. they make the car louder. looking for gains from headers is like asking a blind person to tell you what color shirt you're wearing. you'll be lucky if you see anything.
    Don't speak so generally. I'm assuming you're referring to galants only?

galant_got_speed
    Yah i agree with Pinoy that it would be a bit more beneficial to get headers over catback exhaust..although my from my experience the muffler is the most restrictive part of the airflow..but headers definitely do help and ive been saving up to buy myself some as well..

.i didnt bother doing my midpiping and just had a muffler welded on and with headers it should be nice..cheap might i add....but dont expect much power change..your looking at a lot of sound gains here...

Ok I'm getting two answers in here about what's the major restriction in the exhast system. the catalitic converter pipe and the muffler, which one is more restrictive?

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Huginkiss
    Don't speak so generally. I'm assuming you're referring to galants only?
    this is the [b]<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>GALANT</span></span> center. in the 8G forum. this isn't the place where we talking about how much hp you can get by adding cross drilled brake lines to your gf's chevette.

but yea to repeat myself again...

the main restrictions are from the manifold to the main cat. not from the main cat to the muffler. that piping is actually pretty good. you'll see more gains in power by getting headers than you would from a cat back. although with both they are very small if any gains.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.