The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dead engine.

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    Noobee

Dead engine.

My timing belt broke and I had to change it and the heads.
    I got everything back on but the car was running very rough.
    Now it's dead. I got spark, I got gas, I got compression, the belt turns but the engine doesn't want to catch and run?
    Can anyone give me an idea what migh cause this? :x

You are here entirely tooo much!!

Re: Dead engine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Noobee)</div><div class='quotemain'>My timing belt broke and I had to change it and the heads.
    Now it's dead. I got spark, I got gas, I got compression, the belt turns but the engine doesn't want to catch and run?
    Can anyone give me an idea what migh cause this? :x</div>

You dont have any compression in one of your cylinders. Dbl check the compression. Thats the only reason i can see why it dont start. I mean besides a bent or bent valves.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Noobee Your problem can be easily fixed in the following way:
    Push Galant over cliff, replace with Toyota.
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

Did you replace your tensioner when you replaced the timing belt? Double check all your timing marks. See if the belt jumped a couple fo teeth when you started it up and then a couple more which is why it won't start now!

Noobee

Re: Dead engine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Noobee)</div><div class='quotemain'>My timing belt broke and I had to change it and the heads.
    Can anyone give me an idea what migh cause this? :x</div>

You dont have any compression in one of your cylinders. Dbl check the compression. Thats the only reason i can see why it dont start. I mean besides a bent or bent valves.</div>

I checked it just now and I got really good compression in all four.

Noobee
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Got Rice Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Did you replace your tensioner when you replaced the timing belt? Â*Double check all your timing marks. Â*See if the belt jumped a couple fo teeth when you started it up and then a couple more which is why it won't start now!</div>

Nah I used the old one, but I'll check the timing marks tomorrow see if hte belt jumped .
    Thanks

Noobee
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Got Rice Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>No problem.</div>

Good call, the belt was loose, and it had jumped about four teeth.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Got Rice Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Replace the tensioner!</div>

I wholeheartedly agree, some knob of a Mitsu tech didn't replace the tensioner on my Galant and it failed 20k later, costing me a new head. They're expensive, but well worth it.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>Noobee Your problem can be easily fixed in the following way:
    Push Galant over cliff, replace with Toyota.</div>

Lol, that is like what I did. Well not the pushing off the cliff part. I did get a toyota. The galant will see her time :twisted:

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Nice.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

If the tensioner is meh either replace it or preload it.
    Use something softer than a drill bit when putting the pin in to hold it.
    Like an injector clip.
    Then tighten that belt like you mean business.
    It will actually sink the pin in the tensioner farther and it will in turn increase the load its capable of throwing at the tensioner arm.
    Keeping you tight whether it likes it or not.
    Its not alot of fun to pull the pin out...
    But you'll see a belt 30% tighter than you could get it with a brand new tensioner & set to OEM spec. And I know guys that can get them to whine they're so tight. (not recommended. They CAN snap!)
    It helps to have the 2 prong tool for the tensioner pulley.
    You can get the one that fits on a 1/4 ratchet for $20 on eBay.
    Worth every penny.
    (But I do like 5 or more a month.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95mitsu03)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>Noobee Your problem can be easily fixed in the following way:
    Push Galant over cliff, replace with Toyota.</div>

Lol, that is like what I did. Well not the pushing off the cliff part. I did get a toyota. The galant will see her time :twisted:</div>

Sweeet.
    But in all honesty my galant and I have a love hate realtionship.
    I'd love to get a new one and hate that I can't afoord it.. or make mine run right LOL
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

Noobee
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Asmodeus)</div><div class='quotemain'>If the tensioner is meh either replace it or preload it.
    Use something softer than a drill bit when putting the pin in to hold it.
    Like an injector clip.
    Then tighten that belt like you mean business.
    It will actually sink the pin in the tensioner farther and it will in turn increase the load its capable of throwing at the tensioner arm.
    Keeping you tight whether it likes it or not.
    Its not alot of fun to pull the pin out... Â*
    But you'll see a belt 30% tighter than you could get it with a brand new tensioner & set to OEM spec. Â*And I know guys that can get them to whine they're so tight. (not recommended. Â*They CAN snap!)
    It helps to have the 2 prong tool for the tensioner pulley.
    You can get the one that fits on a 1/4 ratchet for $20 on eBay.
    Worth every penny.
    (But I do like 5 or more a month.)</div>

I bought the little socket from e-bay, and adjusted the pulley with it it was easy.
    The belt is nice and tight but not too tight.
    The problem is that the car still don't start.
    I redid comp test, its all good, though the plugs are black as hell.
    Once I even got a backfire.