The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: for those with jdm mirror switch

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar

for those with jdm mirror switch

So I got my jdm wired ready to install but the little bulb on the switch is dead, it's not an LED, but thinking I can put one in but the 12 volt led that i found are pretty big, any ideas?

Get your volt meter ane double check it is running on 12volts. Then when you know the voltage go and get yourself a T-1 size LED. they are pretty small.

edit. btw you can easily use any voltage LED under 12v if thats what it runs. Just need to get out your good ol' resistance calculator and figure out what OHM resistor you need.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xrs2)</div><div class='quotemain'>Get your volt meter ane double check it is running on 12volts. Then when you know the voltage go and get yourself a T-1 size LED. they are pretty small.

edit. btw you can easily use any voltage LED under 12v if thats what it runs. Just need to get out your good ol' resistance calculator and figure out what OHM resistor you need.</div>

Do i really need to use any resistor? all this circuit stuff me not good at

what color led did you want? if i have it, i can send it your way.

but yea, im looking at the back of mine, since im probably not gonna use it and if you wanted to use an led, what i'd do is yea take out the existing lamp and base. stick the led in there and put like some hot glue to hold it in place.

now there are the two wires going into the switch for illumination. that we know is running about 12v. connect those two wires to the led and use an appropriate resistor also to drop down the voltage.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>what color led did you want? if i have it, i can send it your way.

but yea, im looking at the back of mine, since im probably not gonna use it and if you wanted to use an led, what i'd do is yea take out the existing lamp and base. stick the led in there and put like some hot glue to hold it in place.

now there are the two wires going into the switch for illumination. that we know is running about 12v. connect those two wires to the led and use an appropriate resistor also to drop down the voltage.</div>

Actually one is positive and one is negative, i use the my volt meter to check that out, so they can't both be connected to power

I'm not sure what you mean both? But you can have as many LEDs in series as you want, as long as the amperage is there to support it.

If your LED is less than 12v just do this

OHMS = (source volatge - LED forward voltage) / forward amperage on LED

This will give you the OHM resistor to use.

As an example

O = (12v - 3.6v) / 0.020 = 420 Ohms

When you buy your LEDs they will have all this info on them.

there are 2 wires for the illumination. green/white and black/yellow. the black is ground and the green is positive.

so take the green/white wire and connect that to the positive end of the led.

that the black/yellow wire, connect that to the resistor, and connect the other end of the resistor to the negative end of the led.

the negative end of the led is the end that has the flat spot on the led.

also when calculating the resitor to use with the led, remember not to use 12v. use a value higher. think about it. check the voltage when the car is off. probably more than 12v. try it again when the car is on, defitnely more than 12v which means you could quite possibly blow out the led.

but yea, question for you, how did u get the lil lamp and its base out? mine is like loose but i can't get it out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>there are 2 wires for the illumination. green/white and black/yellow. the black is ground and the green is positive. Â*

so take the green/white wire and connect that to the positive end of the led. Â*

that the black/yellow wire, connect that to the resistor, and connect the other end of the resistor to the negative end of the led.

the negative end of the led is the end that has the flat spot on the led. Â*

also when calculating the resitor to use with the led, remember not to use 12v. use a value higher. think about it. check the voltage when the car is off. probably more than 12v. try it again when the car is on, defitnely more than 12v which means you could quite possibly blow out the led. Â*

but yea, question for you, how did u get the lil lamp and its base out? mine is like loose but i can't get it out.</div>

Its little hard to take it out i had to use a needle to pull it out the second time, the first time i just took the whole back piece apart it was pretty easy then i just pushed it through, but the second time i just loosend it up and used a need to pry it out. It is just stuck there with a little friction with the sides of the board edges being a little sharp. I just wish i can find the whole piece and just pop it in instead of using an led with a resistor

if i can get my bulb out i'll take a look at it and see if i can find a replacement.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>if i can get my bulb out i'll take a look at it and see if i can find a replacement.</div> Remeber you have to take the whole white thing out that is the bulb holder