The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Questions on swap

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    NashCar

Questions on swap

Ok. So I've been looking to get back into a dsm. . Or something like it. I sold my Eclipse and I regret it. I kinda don't want another T/E/L. And I love the way the Galant VR4's look. But, the price of one in good condition is out of my reach. So I found a 91 Galant N/T 5spd with the 4g63 and a cyclone intake manifold. Now, I know its slow. But I would drive it for a bit while I built up a 4g63 turbo engine for it. Ok, that shouldn't be very hard at all. BUT. I don't how similar the drivetrain set-up is compared to the Galant VR4 or a 4g63 N/T 1g. So I don't know what kind of transmission I would have to go with when I swaped motors. So, here is a list of questions. And if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Can I use a 1g turbo fwd transmission in a 91 Galant n/t?
    How is the cyclone intake manifold controlled? Computer or off vaccume from the engine?
    Would a 1g turbo ecu be a direct swap for the stock n/t ecu?
    If the ecu's are not inerchangable
    How difficult would it be to tune a turbo motor using a n/t ecu? If it can be done at all?

I think thats all the questions I really have at the moment. . If I think of anymore I will post them.

Thanks in advance!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Can I use a 1g turbo fwd transmission in a 91 Galant n/t?
    How is the cyclone intake manifold controlled? Computer or off vaccume from the engine?
    Would a 1g turbo ecu be a direct swap for the stock n/t ecu?
    If the ecu's are not inerchangable
    How difficult would it be to tune a turbo motor using a n/t ecu? If it can be done at all?
    First off...you have a USDM 6g FWD Galant with a DOHC N/T 4G63 with a cyclone manifold? I never heard or seen a regular FWD 6g Galant with a DOHC 4G63 with a cyclone, I thought the "Cyclones" were only 4G63t's. The only 6g that I know of that came with a N/T DOHC 4G63 was the Galant GSX which was N/T AWD. Anyways...i'll try to answer some of your questions assuming on what you have:

1. 1g FWD tranny should work on a 6g N/T Galant. As long the 6g Galant was originally FWD. The Galant VR4 and Galant GSX have a different frame and body and front crossmember assembly from the regular FWD 6g Galants.

2. Not totally sure about the cyclone manifold since I never really cared or delt with them first hand, but I believe its controlled by vaccume.

3 & 4. IF you have a N/T DOHC 4G63 right now...its probably a plug and play swapping a 1g turbo ECU, but probably with some minor wiring work. Not sure totally..you might have to do some research on that one. Try:

www.vfaq.com or www.galantvr4.org

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Mr. O
    To answer your questions....

First off 4-G-rim gave you the website www.galantvr4.org
    Gret place to find info about the 6th gen GVR4 but if you ask a newb question they will bash you & say search for it. So the member are worthless but the forum isn't. :thumbsup:

1) Yes, you can use a turbo FWD tranny, with no problem...
    2) The Cyclone manifold (waste of time) is controlled by vacuum, it is difficult to get it to work because of the mess of lines you have to run in order to make it adquate. if you decide to not use the secondary runners for the cyclone just use a USDM manifold, it will flow much better.
    3) No, the ECU's are not interchangable. An ECU on a car controls mainly the fuel. the NA & turbo 4Gs have completely different fule trims & maps. If your gonna do the swap an extra $150 won't kill ya.
    4) Just like I said on 3, it can not be done. Obviously a turbo car consumes more gas than a non-turbo. There is no way for a non tubo ecu to compensate for that lack of fuel.

Hope this helps.

BTW 4GRIM....your VR4 looks good even in that small photo.

Thanks Mr. O...are you on the GalantVR4.org boards?? 8)

Mr. O
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    I am, but I really don't like that forum. It's very hard to get help from the guys there. Quite a bit of them seem to have a weird attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. O
    I am, but I really don't like that forum. It's very hard to get help from the guys there. Quite a bit of them seem to have a weird attitude.
    Really?? Well..I read alot of what is posted there and PM only a handful of members there about questions and they have been helpful so far. I see what you are saying though. 8)

Mr. O
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. O
    Really?? Well..I read alot of what is posted there and PM only a handful of members there about questions and they have been helpful so far. I see what you are saying though. 8)
    Yeah there is a lot of good info there about the 6th gen, I just go there to search for something if I need an answer.