The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: May be parting ways with the G if I can't fix this on my own

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

May be parting ways with the G if I can't fix this on my own

ok, went to the local place about the problems I have been having. They test drove it and said they didn't feel what I was talking about... they always say that. But anyways, they told me that I have a leak in my valve cover. It is allowing oil to leak onto my spark plugs. They said that this MAY be the reason my car is acting like this... but they are not sure. To replace this and do the tune up, they said it would be around $550. To do the timing belt and a few other things, it would be about $900. So I would be paying about $1400-$1500 with no garuntee that this would fix the problem... Not very reassuring. Now also, they say from the things I am explaining to them (the things they said they did not encounter on the test drive), sounds like it is a problem with the tranny. Now, this is not good especially since my warranty went up about 2,000 miles ago.... now aint that a bitch! Soooooooo...... if I end up having to replace/rebuild my tranny that's another $1000+. I can at least count on a few more hundred if something minor is wrong w/ the tranny. So the total is at least $1600 - $2500 or so... mow this is all worst case senario, but I'm preparing for the worst.

My plan is to replace the gasket that is leaking on my valve cover and do my own tune up... I'm not sure how realistic I am being about that, but I really don't have $500 extra dollars right now. Can anyone tell me/help me out w/ this? Tutorial would be nice just some direction. From what I understand it is a lot of shit I gotta pull out to get to the valve cover and plugs and wires that I need to replace for the tune up. As far as the timing belt, I don't know what the hell to do about that... is that the price normally charged for that?

Anyways, if this all goes down the way I am hoping that it doesn't, I am gonna be trading the car in for another. I'm either gonna get a GTZ w/ less miles or buy something else newer since I only like a select few models of G's. Lemme know what you guys think and any advice/help/tutorials are greatly appreciated.

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    why would you trade it in after puttin all that money into it...i say trade it in as is...not like you're gonna get much for it even if all those things are fixed.
    -Pedro

Paid $700+for water pump and all the belts and hoses at mitsu...yea you should trade as is
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

:cry: I don't wanna trade in my baby! I'll miss her so much!

Yo stopfakn, where in bmore you located?

Can someone at least gimme some direction of fixing the valve cover leak? I'd like to at least do that and see how it works out before I trade it in.

White marsh area..where are you located?
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

what "problems" are you having?

Quote Originally Posted by stopfakn
    White marsh area..where are you located?
    Right now I live in PA w/ my parents, but Bmore City is always my home.... I lived off of Perring Pkwy. Now I'm up 83 a bit. I hate PA...

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    what "problems" are you having?
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=43968

this is the thread i posted about it

your description leads me to a transaxle issue.

Is the fluid level correct, and the fluid clean?

I'd say either trade it in as it is, or if you fix it up, keep it. You won't get your money out of it by fixing it up, than trading it in.

Also, you'll loose money on the trade in if you want something better/nicer anyway, so if money is an issue, I'd go the "fix it up" route, might just end up cheaper

jus my .02

tranny fluid is correct I just got it changed. the valve cover gasket is leakin oil onto spark plugs... that's all I know.

what I want to know is how do I get to the valve cover to replace it... I wanna do that and see whether that helps at all. If it does, I will do the rest of the stuff and keep the car, if not then I will trade in after replacing the gasket.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Dude, if you cant replace your valve cover, sell it and buy something with a warranty.

Just remove the plug wires, remove hte bolts that bolt the cover down and it pops off......
    7g for life!

It's not actually the valve cover... it's a gasket on it... the shop said that you have to take out the intake plenum to get to it.

if its the front valve cover then that just comes off. but if its the rear valve cover then yea the intake plenum must come out.

but then since u need to change your plugs anyways, the plenum is coming up no mnatter what

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

how do i take the plenum out?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    So its a v6? I always assume Galants have i4s haha.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    service diagrams can probably help alittle bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast