The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: mitsu.. number 4 in conumer reports...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

mitsu.. number 4 in conumer reports...

well, the new issue of consumer reports has mitsu in 4th place overall in reliability since 2004.. behind lexus, toyota, and honda.
    that has them beating 40 other carmakers.

good job.

woo hoo!

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    atleast someone thinks we're doing something right, lol
    -Chris

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    damn. i just saw some oil near the oil pan.

Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    probably from not tightening the drain plug fully.

There honestly hasnt been any issues to speak of on any of the cars from 04 on up.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews

There honestly hasnt been any issues to speak of on any of the cars from 04 on up.
    Oh its tight. Anyways, the oil was up front of the oil pan. I cleaned it off so ill give it a check next oil change. hopefully, it was just me spilling oil which left that mark.

BTW, Im missing 2 bolts on the oil pan. Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews

Oh its tight. Anyways, the oil was up front of the oil pan. I cleaned it off so ill give it a check next oil change. hopefully, it was just me spilling oil which left that mark.

BTW, Im missing 2 bolts on the oil pan. Is that normal?
    which bolts? got a pic?

And heres the oil leak that is actually on the side of the oil pan. This was oil free just about a wek ago when i did my oil change and cleaned it up. Some of the dirt stuff on the bolt was there already.

Im gonna have to get it back to the dealer. It would be nice to have another set of front strut/spring so i can just switcharoo.

pretty sure there isnt suppost to be bolts there.. But its kinda hard to tell.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Mitsubishi realiability is getting better and you can tell by the build quality of there cars currently. I guess they are using better quality controlled manufacturing and assembly.

9G: Has anyone removed your oil pan from what you can remember? Looks like there was a bolt there at one time.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Someone removed your oil pand reused your old gasket, and then didn't torque to the right specs/combination - that has nothing to do with mitsubishi, that's any car.

As far as reliability, I haven't had a SINGLE problem with my Galant (and neither did the previous owner according to the dealership), and it's got close to 50k miles on it...and will be boosted soon enough.
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS - 3.8L V6 - "The G" - 14.62 @ 95.52

”Sticks impress high-school kids, autos win races” – Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tech_Greek
    Someone removed your oil pand reused your old gasket, and then didn't torque to the right specs/combination - that has nothing to do with mitsubishi, that's any car.

As far as reliability, I haven't had a SINGLE problem with my Galant (and neither did the previous owner according to the dealership), and it's got close to 50k miles on it...and will be boosted soon enough.
    how do you know that? :? :? :? :?: :?: :?:

I bought the car brand new in March 25, 2004 and this car has only been to any shop for just my free oil change.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    9G...I would take it to your Mitsu dealer and have them check it out. From the pics you posted there was definitely bolts there and I can't see how they could just "fall" out. It doesn't look like a bit issue since there isn't any severe oil leaks from the area where the missing bolts are..but none the less there should be bolts there. If the car is still under warranty and you are having a bit of an oil leak...take it to the dealer, take advantage of your warranty if you still have it. 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

how do you know that? :? :? :? :?: :?: :?:

I bought the car brand new in March 25, 2004 and this car has only been to any shop for just my free oil change.
    Because I spy RTV and two bolts missing, maybe your service tech did something on accident.

And if your car is brand new jesus thats a lot of rusted metal down there.

i said it bought it brand new so 2+years could have been enough for that place to rust. (snow/salt/lowered)

Anyways, im gonna go there when I get my srs light checked and ask about it and maybe compare it with other cars if possible.

BTW, can you take a pic of yours? I know yours is a V6 but i just want to see hows yours put together compared to mine.

Thanks.

Because I spy RTV and two bolts missing, maybe your service tech did something on accident.

And if your car is brand new jesus thats a lot of rusted metal down there.
    the pans are and have always been sealed with liquid gasket.
    and there arent two bolts missing... those holes are there for other reasons.

and rust? nothing underneath is protected from corrosion. thats what everyones engine looks like underneath.

Shit I have a 7g and I haven't had any real problems, just replacing shit. 140k on the dashand still running. Gas mileage is the shit too. Congrats Mitsu
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

Maybe the RTV is original then, I've never personally pulled a pan off any car that had RTV on the original gasket to begin with, in fact a lot of cars I've done it on said NOT to use RTV with the new gasket.

As far as RUST, my car has no rust as it's a southren car, in fact the engine bay looks brand spanking new after 2 years and 50k miles...its the region you're probbaly in.

I'll take a picture tonight, but I'm working until 10:00 PM CT so don't expect it until then.

Oh by the way, just found this;

"SOURCE: Mitsubishi Tech Talk Article July 2004

TITLE: OIL PAN BOLTS

APPLIES TO: 2004 Galant, Lancer Ralliart, and Outlander with 2.4L MIVEC engine.

SERVICE TIP:

There are four empty bolt holes at the oil pan. This is the intended design. Bolts should not be installed in these locations. "

well that answers the question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast