The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Blower Motor / Lower Dash / Center Console Removal w Pics

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Blower Motor / Lower Dash / Center Console Removal w Pics

So after spending 3 months driving with an annoying click coming from the blower motor whenever I had the Heat/AC on I finally decided to find the problem. Figured at the same time I'll take some pics incase anyone else in TGC land ever has to do the same thing.

Tools you'll need
    #2 Philips screw driver
    Flat head Screw driver for poking / prying
    10 mm Deep well socket
    12 mm Deep well socket
    Ratchet and 2inch or longer extension.

First things first pop the end caps off each side of the dash. The driver side is easy since its the fusebox cover. The passenger side you'll have to pry a little to get it off. Then pry off the bezel around the radio. Once that's done pop the bezel around the shifter out then the part in front of it that has the ashtry/pocket and the lighter plugs. Then remove the screws circled in the follow pics.

There's one screw on the left you can't see in the pic it goes straight up and 2 more right beind the hood release. After the screws for the hood release are out you can slide it forward and down away from the dash piece

Once all the screws are out you can pop that piece off disconnect the plugs for the fog lights and power mirrors and set it aside.

These 2 are exposed when the drivers lower is taken out.

Next is the center console

Pull out the rubber matte that will expose these 2. Once they're out you can pull out the upper half of the center console.

These 3 are the one under the armrest. Once you take out the 2 screws by that metal bracket, the bracket will come free to. Dont lose it or the upper half of the console won't have anything to screw into.

These 2 are the last 2 holding the lower center console in. They're right behind where the ashtry/pocket was. Once out, pull up the parking brake, put the car in gear and you can pull out the rest of the console. Then it's back to the dash.

This one's gonna differ slightly from my car. My ac control have be relocated. If yours hav not then you'll see 4 screws in the holes in the ovals take those out and just push the ac controls into the dash out of the way. Then continue with the other 2 screws.

This is the plastice piece that is supposed to be attached under the glove compartment to hide the underside of the blower motor. My car is was just ghettoed in place when I bought it. From working on other 8gs there's 4 pops that hold it in place. One at each circle.

Open the glove box, you'll see 2 tabs basically squeeze the sides of the glove box together and will allow the thing to drop. Then just take it out.

With the glove box gone it will reveal 3 more screws.

This screw was hiding behind the side panel. It is technically a #3 screw, but you can get it out with a #2 screwdriver. Once that screw is out you can now remove the rest of the lower dash. Now to the fun part.

Next up is the vent assembly that connects the blower motor to the venting for the rest of the car. Left to right, the first is a 10mm that bolt goes up from the floor and threads into the nut circled. Next unplug the harness. The circle next to the bolt is a clip for the wires, just push that out of the hole. Then remove the 10mm bolt.

This is the underside of that same ventshaft. 2 more 10mm bolts and a pop between them. The pop, if you push in on the center circle til you hear a click. Then you can remove it. To put it back in, just push the center part back through the body of the pop til it sticks out about 1/4" Once those are out you can pull the ventshaft down and out of the way.

Got one 12mm bolt and one harness to disconnect from the lower half of the motor.

Here's 1 last harness to disconnect and 3 more 12mm bolts to remove. Once that's done you can now dislodge the motor and remove whatever crap is stuck in it.

All that trouble because of a friggin leaf! Ain't life grand. Installation is the reverse. Oh now would be a good time to remove the glovebox latch so you can get rid of that unsightly gap. Whatever have fun hope this helps someone not spend $70+ at the stealership for 30minutes worth of work.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

You might want to try a different picture host - geoshitties tends to crap out on some of the pictures.

Not a problem can you suggest one that would be good?

Haven't had any problems with imageshack ( http://www.imageshack.us ).

Ok pics, are swapped over. That's pretty cool does thumbnails too.

thanks for the pictures , I took out the center consol a month ago and I forgot which screw is for where , good thing I found this topic .

anyone have the pictures. want to tackle the resistor on the vr4 iirc the jdm and usdm have the same blower unit
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec