The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6g72 Air Intake manifold Upgrades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

6g72 Air Intake manifold Upgrades

So I am looking to help my car breathe a lot better, and was thinking of upgrading the intake manifold. I think I remember reading that the Galant 6g72 intake manifold was "flatter and more squished" as compared to that of an Eclipse. I would assume that an OEM IM for an Eclipse would bolt on fine and represent a slight upgrade vs the OEM Galant intake. True?

Are there any aftermarket upgrades available? If so, coudl you point me in the right direction of a brand or manufacturer? Combined with an AEM Short air intake and some RIPP or RPW heads and a good tune, my I should get a bit more power and milleage or just power? If I get just the intake manifold, what kind of performance changes should I expect? I would think maybe better gas milleage but to a point. at some point all that extra air has to have some extra gas, so I am sure there is a sweet spot that I will miss....

There are two types of Eclipse manifold: the GT and GTS. We have the GT manifold in our cars (squished). The GTS has more equal length runners with a butterfly flap to switch to shorter runners.

There is also the Diamante manifold, which is supposed to be the best flowing of the three.

The GTS and Diamante will bolt up with minor modification and wire extensions. Note that you may need to relocate the battery as the GTS and Diamante manifolds push the throttle body into the battery tray area.

RPW also has an upgrade manifold, and from what I recall is pretty close to the Diamante manifold.

don't bother modding the engine if you are concerned w/ mileage; mileage and power are inversley related.

I will check out the diamante manifold. Thanks for the info! I just checked tearstone and didn't see any RPW mani, just heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose7791
    I will check out the diamante manifold. Thanks for the info! I just checked tearstone and didn't see any RPW mani, just heads.
    Tearstone is getting ready to set up a group buy of RPW products. Get a hold of him if you want to order the RPW manifold:
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57241

i know that there is an intake upgrade for the v6 tiburon that should work. they have the same motor but its destroked and has dohc heads. i have an intake mani from a xg350 and its a lot like the gts mani but i took the flappers out and honed the intake. nice up top and mid range.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boostzealot)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know that there is an intake upgrade for the v6 tiburon that should work. they have the same motor but its destroked and has dohc heads. i have an intake mani from a xg350 and its a lot like the gts mani but i took the flappers out and honed the intake. nice up top and mid range.</div>

Wow, there's always something new! So any special reason why you chose the xg350 mani over the GTS or Diamante?

i worked with a friend of mine at his shop over the summer and he does all kinds of maintenance and a lady brought hers in with a spun rod bearing and we replaced the motor. the junk yard doesnt care about how the motor looks they just know they are getting a motor. sooo. plus when i saw that that mani had allen screws about halfway up the runners i started thinking and then took it apart. i took the flappers out cuz i wouldnt be able to use them since the xg350's intake flappers are run by an electrical motor that i assumes gets signal voltage from the ecu or the tps. after i took everything out i smoothed each runners' primary and secondary runners. if i didnt have exhaust i would hear the intake a lot more cuz i can hear it a lot more now. but yeah i havent had it dyno'd with the new downpipe and the intake mod yet but im expecting nice gains or something solid. feels a lot freer up top though for sure.

anytime

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boostzealot)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know that there is an intake upgrade for the v6 tiburon that should work.</div>

Is this what you are referring to?

NGM stage IV for the Tib

OMFG!!!! no but damn i would take one the quickest way you've ever seen. i checked out their website and the thing is over a grand! but well worth the money. 24 whp and 20 wtq! crazy nice on a NA tibby. imagine what it would do for a tearstone equiped 5 spd galant tuned? hmmm :idea:

Exactly my thoughts. There has to be a way to find out if it really fits the 6g72.

i can tell you it fits cuz i have a hyundai intake mani now and it fits like a champ. i had to get rid of my egr temporarily because things are lined up a little different but everything else went on fine. i ordered the hondata intake spacer tonight so i should see it in a couple of days. i will get the car dynoed before i go to the desert in may. looking for at least 220 on spray.(50 shot)

I noticed with that xg350 intake manifold, your battery has been relocated. Is that because there would have been rubbing issues? It looks like the intake pipe goes right over your battery tray so I'm just assuming. I'm pretty interested in a different style intake manifold but I don't want to have to relocate anything.

99 Black GTZ

Suspension: KYB GR-2 shocks/struts, H&R Springs
    Wheels: 18x7.5 ADR GT-Sports, 225/40/18 Nitto Neo-Gen

i can get a better shot of the engine bay if you need it. the battery has just been located behind the headlight where all that space is after you remove the stock shit. so no wires were extended and nothing was really made to make it fit there. just remember to route the wires to suit this idea if you are going to put it there. if you notice, the intake positions the TB too far to the right of the car for the battery to stay there. so you're going to have to move it.

Nah, a picture isn't really necessary. But I do have another quick question.
    The GTS Manifold seems to have a curve to it. So would it be less likely to have to relocate the battery?

<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>Jose's Eclipse on Cardomain</span>
    99 Black GTZ

Suspension: KYB GR-2 shocks/struts, H&R Springs
    Wheels: 18x7.5 ADR GT-Sports, 225/40/18 Nitto Neo-Gen

that in fact is correct and another reason why people go with it besides the other beneficial factors. the diamante intake places the TB further toward the middle of the heads like the gts mani. if you notice my intake positions the TB further to the drivers side thus creating my circumstance. its not a bad idea and i plan to take this thing apart and really give it a good honing so smooth everything out and make it really flow as well as it should have from the factory. but damn that next gen stage 4 mani is soooooo sexy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast