The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Crank pulley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

Crank pulley

I got a light weight aluminum carnak pulley form an eclipse ( I think) and it bolts right on , the bolt pattern fits, but the pulley is a smaller than the OEM.
    Should I just get smaller belts to make it work or will that screw something up?
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

the timing belt part of the crank or the outer part?
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SuperGALANT)</div><div class='quotemain'>the timing belt part of the crank or the outer part?</div>

Nah not the timing belt sprocket, the outer pulley for the accessoriy belts, water, alternator, A/C etc

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If you cant get the belts to stay tight, just get the 2g eclipse belts. Not sure if theres a difference or not, cant be that much smaller of a pulley.
    7g for life!

well w/ the smaller pully your alt will turn less at idle than stock.. that would be my only concern.. also it may affect ur ps and ur ac..

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Interesting

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SuperGALANT)</div><div class='quotemain'>well w/ the smaller pully your alt will turn less at idle than stock.. that would be my only concern.. also it may affect ur ps and ur ac..</div>

i had a 4g64 pulley and a 4g63 pulley sitting side by side, they are exactly the same. diameter and belt wise.

i have 2 spare 4g63 pulley's if you still need one. pm me an offer and i'll have it in the mail by monday.
    they will work just fine.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    If you cant get the belts to stay tight, just get the 2g eclipse belts. Not sure if theres a difference or not, cant be that much smaller of a pulley.
    Its not that much smalle just maybe a 1/4 inch diameter so if I use belts 1/2 inch smaller they'll work.

oh i thought u ment that it was quite a bit smaller..

and bronx i see ur rolling ur eyes.. what i was talkin about is if u change the ratio of alt:crank then u change how fast the alt is turning at idle which can couse it not to charge as much.. its gear ratio

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGALANT
    well w/ the smaller pully your alt will turn less at idle than stock.. that would be my only concern.. also it may affect ur ps and ur ac..
    Yeah that's what might be affected the thing is how much and would the alternator affect the way the car is running

oh i thought u ment that it was quite a bit smaller..

and bronx i see ur rolling ur eyes.. what i was talkin about is if u change the ratio of alt:crank then u change how fast the alt is turning at idle which can couse it not to charge as much.. its gear ratio
    I'll measure it tomorrow, guess I shoul've done that first. Anyway its a light weight alluminum billet pulley that I got for free so might just try it anyway I hope I don't ruin the alternator.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    If i remember right, there are several different pulleys, and one of the reasons for going with a smaller pulley on stuff like AC, and water pump, is increase of power to the wheels...? When dragging you don't need to worry about power steering, or AC, and since you're engine is running at high RPMs it doesn't matter that the idle speed of the alt doesn't charge as much as the stock pulley. But in most cases the use of smaller pulleys is practical when the car is running at higher rpms, although they could still be used on daily drivers. The whole idea is to not lose power on acc, and gain power to the wheels.

So i am assuming you don't have a track ready Galant. And i am assuming you will be using your galant on a daily basis. My suggestion would be, if while driving your car on a daily basis, you sit in a lot of trafiic, almost everyday then you probably don't want a crank pulley that is extremely smaller than your stock pulley. But lets say you drive highway miles everyday to get to work and back, and most of the driving is at higher speeds(rpms) then a slightly smaller crank pulley will probably not change the accessories enough for you to even notice.

(My comment is based more from logical thinking, rather than experience with installing different crank pulleys and seeing their effects.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>If i remember right, there are several different pulleys, and Â*one of the reasons for going with a smaller pulley on stuff like AC, and water pump, is increase of power to the wheels...? Â*When dragging you don't need to worry about power steering, or AC, and since you're engine is running at high RPMs it doesn't matter that the idle speed of the alt doesn't charge as much as the stock pulley. Â*But in most cases the use of smaller pulleys is practical when the car is running at higher rpms, although they could still be used on daily drivers. Â*The whole idea is to not lose power on acc, and gain power to the wheels.

So i am assuming you don't have a track ready Galant. Â*And i am assuming you will be using your galant on a daily basis. Â*My suggestion would be, if while driving your car on a daily basis, you sit in a lot of trafiic, almost everyday then you probably don't want a crank pulley that is extremely smaller than your stock pulley. Â*But lets say you drive highway miles everyday to get to work and back, and most of the driving is at higher speeds(rpms) then a slightly smaller crank pulley will probably not change the accessories enough for you to even notice.

(My comment is based more from logical thinking, rather than experience with installing different crank pulleys and seeing their effects.)</div>

This pulley if abpout 5 5/8" dia. Vs abpout 6 1/4" of the one I had on there. I'm just worried about screwing up the alternator.

From a Neon point of view...

One of the most popular mods for people with Neons is an UDP. I had one on my ACR. It was about 20% smaller than stock and weighed about 1/3 what the really chunkey stock bit did. Basically it helped the engine rev a little more freely, and let go a few more horses. Not a huge difference, but for $100 (MP--one of the major Neon parts houses, offered free undersized belts with the purchase, so no further expense was needed) I liked it, as did most people. However, the Neon utilized a smaller engine than the Galant and therefore it was just a metal pulley, not a harmonic balancer. The Galant's larger engine calls for a harmonic balancer type crank pulley...I'd leave the stock piece alone, or replace it with a new stock bit. But that's just me...
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

i'm ruynning an underdrive pulley, and have been for a year. i can't say what gains i've seen as a result of it. i can tell you it will helps with your revs.
    between my balance shaft delete, underdrive pulley, a/c elimination, and light weight flywheel, my engine revs pretty quick.

if you want the belt sizes.
    gop to the unorthodox racing site and open one of thier pdf files.
    look under 95-99 eclipse turbo.
    you will find the belt sizes you need.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Couldnt you just get a bigger pulley for your alternator and just get a smaller and lighter crank pulley? Or would that defeat the whole purpose of getting a smaller crank pulley?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19
    Couldnt you just get a bigger pulley for your alternator and just get a smaller and lighter crank pulley? Or would that defeat the whole purpose of getting a smaller crank pulley?
    you gain more power from lightening the pulley than from underdiriving the accessories.

they make aluminum overdrive puloley's for mitsu alternators.

you can underdrive at the crank, then overdrive at the alty, and get cose to the stock ratio. but much less weight.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19
    you gain more power from lightening the pulley than from underdiriving the accessories.

they make aluminum overdrive puloley's for mitsu alternators.

you can underdrive at the crank, then overdrive at the alty, and get cose to the stock ratio. but much less weight.
    Cool so where do I get an overdrive pulley for the alt?
    And how do I figure out the ratio?

since ur underdrive is slightly smaller get one slightly bigger.. ?

since ur underdrive is slightly smaller get one slightly bigger.. ?

LOL OK .
    The underdrive is 5 almost 3/4. The original was 6 1/4 so I guess I need something 1/2 inch bigger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast