The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo help for the newb!

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Turbo help for the newb!

I purchased a turbo. t3/t4 setup with ar.60 compressor and ar 1.32 turbine. What the hell does this mean??? Will it be suitable for a V6??

Thanks everyone and wish me luck.

Phil

Back in the Family!!

Experienced TGC Member
    LOL WOW.

tear into him fellas
    -Chris

go ahead i searched but I just don't know what I am looking for. Maybe you can help?

Back in the Family!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    How did u buy a turbo u know nothing about?!?!?!?

Well I know how, but WHY?!

drukin stupor!!

Back in the Family!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Thats a pretty big turbing housing.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>A/R Explanation
    A/R is the rated volumetric efficiency of a turbos 2 sections, so to speak. Imagine if you have a garden hose spraying water out at a pinwheel
    with the hose open ended, the pinwheel spins okay. Put a nozzle on it an the pinwheel will spin like mad.

There are issues with the nozzle on the end, you lose volume but gain pressure. With the nozzle off you gain volume, but lose pressure and you can't turn the pinwheel as much.

Simply put, on small displacement engines a smaller A/R is better, on large displacement engine a larger A/R is better due to exhaust volume.

A larger A/R will spool later and provide a higher power band, if your engine is capable of reaching the RPMS it should be used in.

You can't cross compare different types of housings and wheels, but if you have a typical T3/TO4E 57 trim with a stage 3 exhaust wheel and a .48 A/R housing, it might have a powerband of 3000-7000, with the .63 it might be 4000-8000, and with a .82 A/R housing it might be 5000-9000. If you have headwork and cams that stop pulling at 8000 RPM's, it's smart to run the .63 A/R housing. If you have a fully ported head and huge cams that will make power till 9000, the .82 A/R housing would be a better choice.

Picture Source: http://www.supracentral.com/content.php?article.57 Â*

</div>
    Would be a descent turbo for a v6 depending on boost level. Not sure how efficient it would be, I could figure it out at different boost levels, but I am too lazy to do math.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    very suitable for the V6, talk to Jet Black, he is going to run the same turbo on his V6
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    Do you mind posting a picture of it? Specifically the numbers on the compressor/turbine housings. I'm intrested to know if the T3 is the exhaust portion (like it usually is)...its just that I've never seen such a large AR for a T3 turbine housing.

Also where/whom did you buy it from?

Kea-Blk
    Hey man check out Maximum Boost by corky bell. Awesome book explains everything you need to know about turbos.(even shows you how to install one in the book) Oh and do what i did the past year learning about turbo....... HOMEMADETURBO.COM OWNS!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Do you mind posting a picture of it? Â*Specifically the numbers on the compressor/turbine housings. Â*I'm intrested to know if the T3 is the exhaust portion (like it usually is)...its just that I've never seen such a large AR for a T3 turbine housing.

Also where/whom did you buy it from?</div>
    Its not a full t3, he said its a t3/t4 so the turbine housing is probably a t4 housing
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Do you mind posting a picture of it? Â*Specifically the numbers on the compressor/turbine housings. Â*I'm intrested to know if the T3 is the exhaust portion (like it usually is)...its just that I've never seen such a large AR for a T3 turbine housing.

Its not a full t3, he said its a t3/t4 so the turbine housing is probably a t4 housing</div>

Oh ya I understand that, though a majority of the hybrids I've seen have usually been T3/T4 with the T3 being the exhaust side. Its pretty rare to see the other way around. I guess this would be good for a very large displacement engine?

That's the same turbo on my car now (Turbonetics T3/T4 ar.60)

What brand is the turbo?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Do you mind posting a picture of it? Â*Specifically the numbers on the compressor/turbine housings. Â*I'm intrested to know if the T3 is the exhaust portion (like it usually is)...its just that I've never seen such a large AR for a T3 turbine housing.

Its not a full t3, he said its a t3/t4 so the turbine housing is probably a t4 housing</div>

Oh ya I understand that, though a majority of the hybrids I've seen have usually been T3/T4 with the T3 being the exhaust side. Its pretty rare to see the other way around. I guess this would be good for a very large displacement engine?</div>
    True, wouldnt make sense for the turbine housing to be bigger then the exhaust housing. Pics would help indeed. And "DryBear" aka Wandering, I thought you had an a/r of .44 or was that the smaller turbo for a different kit?
    7g for life!

<runs out to check car>

Oops, its actually A/R.50. An old e-mail I got from Donny (the kit maker) said it was .60 at the time :oops:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DryBear)</div><div class='quotemain'>That's the same turbo on my car now (Turbonetics T3/T4 ar.60)

What brand is the turbo?</div>

the turbo is made by garrett. I bought it off ebay and plan to have it rebuilt to make sure everything is good with it.

Pics below.

Thanks everyone for the info you gave me!!

p.s. sorry for the small pics!

Back in the Family!!

wish i could get a turbo system .. anyone wants to let me "borrow" their extra turbo system laying around? LOL