The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Aftermarket alarm

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    bark519

Aftermarket alarm

Can someone please explain to my why and aftermarket alarm is better than our stock ones what it dopes that a stock alarm wouldn't to protect your car miore and anyone know of any brands that a worth picking up. Thanks

The stock alarm is one-way. After you arm it, when someone tries to steal your car, the alarm sounds. But most people have grown immune to the sound, and if you're not near your car, you won't know. An aftermarket alarm can be two way, and you will carry a small pager that beeps when your alarm is set off.

Of course there are many more functions like remote start, etc.

i got a two-way remote alarm on my car and it works great. i told a buddy of mine to meet me at a Starbucks and i said, try and trip off my alarm so i can see if it works, and so he did, and i saw it upon my remote. I recommed Clifford alarms or Viper alarm systems. i highly recommend not to use Nitro! DO NOT USE THAT ONE! worst alarm ever and the remote start F's up your starter because it doesnt know that it started so it trys and trys again. yeah worst thing ever. what type of alarm are you looking for? alarm and remote or just alarm?

why is an aftermarket alarm better than stock? Hmm get that question just a couple times a day. So where to begin......

Aftermarket vs factory

Greater range
    Additional sensors ie Glass break, motion, shock, power loss.
    Possible 2-way communication (if you're will to spend the money)
    GPS capability ( again if you're will to spend the money)
    Convience features (ie remote start)
    Here's the biggie. Discount on comprehensive part of your insurance. That's right most insurance companies will give you a break if you have a quality alarm in the vehicle. Which after a year or 2 will cover the cost of the alarm. So in the end it pays for itself. The only downside is that many companies require that the alarm be professionally installed.

I had to jump through many hoops to get the discount on my insurance because I installled the alarm myself. I mean why would I pay someone else to do something that I make a living doing?
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

Sorry for the second post but I can't edit the last one and I hit subit too soon.

The other problem with factory alarms is most of the time the car doesn't actually have an alarm in it. Just because the horn honks when you lock the doors doesn't mean there's an alarm in the car. If you want to see if your car has an alarm in it, roll the drivers window down. Then shut and lock the doors. Wait about 1 minute then reach in through the window and manually unlock and open the drivers door. If the horn and parking lights don't start going off then there is no alarm in the car. Again just because when you bought the car the salesman or window sticker say there's an alarm in it doesn't mean there really is. It's a common mistake for people to think that the keyless entry is an alarm too.

bark519

Viper 650

I just picked up the Viper 650 with an unltra sonic shock senor Very Nice!!!!!!!! the onbly thing i cant figure out which it doesent say in the book is how to turn the siren up so its louder anybody know about that

is there a black loop on the siren? If there is cut the loop in half. That will make the arm and disarm chirps louder.

bark519

Pager

I just got the viper 650 didn't come with a pager its prob still a top quality alarm though.

bark519

Alarm

My alarm is ok but when it goes off it only sound for like 30 secs then goes off automaticall i want it to sound lonbger because thats not long enough to know my car is being robbed i mean it would be stopped and they still would be breaking into the car its messed up can anyone help me out???

The alarm can be programmed to sound for longer, if you had a shop install it ask them to program it to run longer. If they wont do it let me know I'll dig up the manual and tell ya how to change it yourself.

bark519

Id rather

Id rather do it myself can it be changed with the remote?

sort of. Here's what you'll have to do.
    1. Disarm the alarm
    2. open the door
    3. Turn the ignition on then turn it back off.
    4. Push and hold the valet button until the siren chirps twice.
    5. Push the valet switch twice. Then push and hold it. The siren should chirp twice and the led flash twice.
    6. While still holding the valet switch push the unlock button on the remote. The siren should chirp twice.
    7. Let go of the valet switch, and turn the ignition on and offf again.
    8. Set off the alarm and make sure it goes for 60 seconds.

If you don't get the amount of chirps that it says. Stop what you're doing. Don't start just mashing buttons. If you wait more than 15 seconds between any of these steps the alarm will automatically exit programming mode.

bark519

hey

can u send me the manual online this will also work for viper 650? and when u say turn the ingition on then off u mean actually xstart the car or turn the key to eccsories mode?

bark519

valet

where is the valet button?

I mean turn it the key to the run position. That's one spot before the car would crank. As for the valet button, that is up to the installer as to where it gets mounted. Look around the driver side of the car for a little black push button. If you can't find it then take the car to the shop that put it in. As for the manual I don't have anyway to get it into the computer. I have a paper copy of it.

bark519

nice

thanks man your sure that programming really works to mkae it go longer

bark519

Thanks man

thanks man it worked i got the alarm to go off longer once more thing i need help with is whenever i set my alarm it will chirp once ill think its fine 20 secs later it will go off for no reason its doing that all the time do u have any idea what it could be?