The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Muffler Advice needed

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Muffler Advice needed

I just got a tanabe muffler from my friend who had it on his tiburon. It sounded really nice and deep on his car(a 4cylinder surprisingly :shock: )
    Anyways, i was wondering on how it would sound on the galant. I have left the silencer intact. What will give me the most quiet sound? Just stick to the stock piping and get the muffler welded on? Need some advice ASAP, want to get my exhaust done during the next week or so. Thanks. Oh yeah, i will be installing my injen intake tomorrow too.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    do the piping as is. what sound did u want anaway?

if your looking for performance then have a good, i repeat GOOD muffler shop redo the piping with 2.5'' piping from the cat. you can do even better and have the last part of the exhaust go under the axle and not over like the stock piping does and reduce some unnecessary bends. my dyno showed a 26 wtq gain from doing this with no cat and a HKS Hi-Power muffler. now there are some variables here also. do you have an I4 or are you a part of the V6 clan? i have a V6 so maybe thats why i got so much of a gain. but if your not all about the performance then do like the ricers do and stick it on your stock piping. but you wont like it.

i want the sound to be quiet as possible. Something low, without the wrasp. I have a I4. Any opinions on the muffler?

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boostzealot)</div><div class='quotemain'>my dyno showed a 26 wtq gain from doing this with no cat and a HKS Hi-Power muffler</div>

you actually think you got gains from this muffler???

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Install it and see. Tanabe is a good brand and not ricey at all.

Hey thats my future set up. Let me know how it goes. I want to see some video clips and pics.

Re: Muffler Advice needed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2kgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just got a tanabe muffler from my friend who had it on his tiburon. Â*It sounded really nice and deep on his car(a 4cylinder surprisingly :shock: )
    Anyways, i was wondering on how it would sound on the galant. Â*I have left the silencer intact. Â*What will give me the most quiet sound? Â*Just stick to the stock piping and get the muffler welded on? Â*Need some advice ASAP, want to get my exhaust done during the next week or so. Â*Thanks. Â*Oh yeah, i will be installing my injen intake tomorrow too.</div>

he has just muffler or full exhaust? I heard some sound clip from tanabe website, they seem pretty quiet.

I just installed my injen short ram today...the shop can probably do any kind of custom piping that i may need, just want to know what would give me the best sound.

What did you buy just the muffler tip or the entire system with pipes, do the muffler tips actually add HP to the car??
    Still representing for St. Petersburg, Russia

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spetsnaz)</div><div class='quotemain'>What did you buy just the muffler tip or the entire system with pipes, do the muffler tips Â*actually add HP to the car??</div>
    no..

Quote Originally Posted by boostzealot
    if your looking for performance then have a good, i repeat GOOD muffler shop redo the piping with 2.5'' piping from the cat. you can do even better and have the last part of the exhaust go under the axle and not over like the stock piping does and reduce some unnecessary bends. my dyno showed a 26 wtq gain from doing this with no cat and a HKS Hi-Power muffler. now there are some variables here also. do you have an I4 or are you a part of the V6 clan? i have a V6 so maybe thats why i got so much of a gain. but if your not all about the performance then do like the ricers do and stick it on your stock piping. but you wont like it.
    he said he wanted something quiet. 2.5" piping from the cat back isn't gonna make the exhaust quiet. i am 100% sure its gonna make it louder. way louder to tell you the truth.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

this is true but on the other hand, whats the point of putting a muffler on without the intention of gaining. ricers give me headaches and it really annoying to see a big shiny muffler on the end of stock beat up and small piping. but its all what you want from your car in the end that will decide your motivation. you have to research other exhaust systems then your own to understand why one is loud and the other is not as loud. since your going to still have a cat if you are going custom then put a magnaflow flow through muffler where the stock resonator is and then your tanabe. it should still soud good, give you results, an not be as loud and annoying as just the tanabe on the stock piping. its always nice to see a car that has exhaust but even more nice to hear it make a nice sound.

bigger pipes does not equal better sound. it probably will sound worse too. its all based on vibrations, wavelenghts and stuff. thats why companies that make cheap bolt on stuff suck. they dont spend time to tune the sound. they just weld anything together and call it a part. while mitsu would redo the exhaust system until a good (quiet) sound was achieved.

2kgalant lemme shed some light on you , this might make you think twice in a way
    i had a tannabe muffler with 4.5 output, if your looking for a gain oh trust me your gonna get the gain, nothing crazy but you will be able to hear and feel a diffrence but also dont think hp is the only thing your gaining,
    your gainging alot of sound vibration like stated before and some court summons lol
    of course im speaking from exprience
    the first setup i had was 2.5 piping with no cat pinch pipping all the way to the tannabe muffler, started it up sounded great too, thats until all hell started opening up
    not only did the combination of cold air intake and exhuast make the time of my car jump (that what dealer said when i bought it in to fix)which casued a whole lot of supperting down the raod, and not to mention the loss of back pressure the car lost... in other words no gain. * not to mention in nyc nypd they know how import exhuast are these guys were all over my ass everywhere i went trust me dont take that route
    so my only option it had come off that whole setup
    the new setup i put was a megan cat back exhuast with 5 inch output with silencer sounds good and came bolt so that elimanated that pinch pippin which can cuase the extra vibration
    so to sum it up dont rush take your time and do your research dont take the route i did i might juss mess you up
    hope i was some help
    From the dance floor to the track
    bboy for life
    Mitsubishi for life

hey guys, just got my tanabe muffler installed today. I just kept the stock piping. Guess what?....it sounds damn good! Its a nice deep, yet quiet tone. Well, i am glad that it came out the way i wanted. THanks for all the opinions and advice on the matter. I will try to post some updated pics of my car later, after i get my hood repainted later on this week!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2kgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey guys, just got my tanabe muffler installed today. Â*I just kept the stock piping. Â*Guess what?....it sounds damn good! Â*Its a nice deep, yet quiet tone. Â*Well, i am glad that it came out the way i wanted. Â*THanks for all the opinions and advice on the matter. Â*I will try to Â*post some updated pics of my car later, after i get my hood repainted later on this week!</div>

why muffler did you get? sound clip? =P

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    What size piping does our cars have? I think that it is 2.25 but not sure.

which tanabe did you get bro? tanabe has a lot of mufflers the older ones were the racing medallions and the g medallions. the r medallions were noisy as fuck (canister type). the g medallions were nice and deep toned. i had a g-medallion in my corolla back home with my 4AGE 20V. i don't know what they call their mufflers now but i think the concept is still pretty much the same. tanabe is a good brand. good find man.

i don't really know what series i have, but it is a canister. I just can't get enough of how good it sounds, even when i floor it never has that high pitched wrasp sound that hondas have. I guess you can never tell how an exhaust will sound until you put it on. A lot of people told me that it wouldn't sound good, but it does!