The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cold Air Intake (New Way)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29
    Proto

Cold Air Intake (New Way)

**DISCLAIMER** You do this at your own risk! Neither TGC or myself is responsible for you screwing something up or problems that occur.

You can find most of these kits on eBay for dirt cheap, but if you insist on name brand then spend more money on the same supplies. Yes I have done this and fits perfect.

Supplies Needed:
    * 3G Eclipse RS/GS (4 Cylinder) Cold Air Intake Kit (Style provided below)
    * 10mm Wrench
    * Hacksaw (Cutting wheel if you have one)
    * Flathead and Phillips Screw Driver
    * Plumbing Coupler (4" to 3" or 2") to adapt to MAS (any hardware type store)

Procedure for cutting shortram pipe:
    1. Right where you hook the air supply line on the shortram pipe mark about 1-3" down and place a cut line.
    2. Secure the pipe and cut straight down.
    3. Finished, now go to installing it.

Procedure for installing CAI:
    1. Completely remove the stock intake setup (EVERYTHING).
    2. Take your battery out and remove the battery tray.
    3. Attach the MAS adaptor (4 bolts) to the MAS itself. Make sure that this is tightly secure.
    4. Attach the filter to the CAI extension pipe.
    5. Take the plumbing coupler and attach the 4" side the MAS, tighten the ring clamp.
    6. Install the shortram to the throttle body with a coupler provided in the kit.
    8. Attach the 2" or 3" side of the plumbing coupler to the shortram pipe
    9. Use one of the couplers provided, attach one end to the MAS adaptor and the other the CAI extension pipe.
    10. You need to find a way to support the MAS from hanging, if not you run the risk of the CAI extension pipe falling off. I used a support bar from an 8G CAI.
    11. Place the battery back in the car and use the longer tie downs to make sure its secured tightly. Make sure all ring clamps and fittings are tight.

Pictures:

Proto
    Another suggestion.. use a metal MAS adaptor, alot better grip than the plastic ones.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Ya, i had to learn the hardway that after awhile the plastic mas adaptor cracks and will eventually be destroyed and broken into bits and pieces that may go into your intake.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

I know, that Im a stupid foreigner, but we have some datings of Eclipse. So G2 is 95 - 98 and G3? Thanks for replay.
    www.mitsubishiklub.cz
    Dream, as if you live for ever, live as if you will die today, the choice is yours.

Well i didnt now if anyone had used this but if you had a body kit you could just use this and mount it right behind the bumber and bolt it to the and would keep it from hanging on its own weight

Here is the kit. I found this looking for other kits to make a cold air intake.[/code]

i suggest you do this with someone who knows...

i dident take out the battery tray on mine, so i ended up doing it a different way.

here are some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by momo21
    i suggest you do this with someone who knows...

i dident take out the battery tray on mine, so i ended up doing it a different way.

here are some pics.

thats not a CAI thats short ram

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

i used the kit above... but the friend that was helping me dident want to remove the battery tray to be able to use the full CAI extension pipe, so we eneded up cutting it to be able to fit with out removing battery tray. So i guess u are right, i made it into a short ram. But all i am suggesting is do it with someone that knows because if not it could end up worst than mine ;)... just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by momo21
    i used the kit above... but the friend that was helping me dident want to remove the battery tray to be able to use the full CAI extension pipe, so we eneded up cutting it to be able to fit with out removing battery tray. So i guess u are right, i made it into a short ram. But all i am suggesting is do it with someone that knows because if not it could end up worst than mine ;)... just a suggestion
    i didn't take out the battery tray either. it was pointless to buy the kit then to use as short ram. you could of used and 60 degree bend at the top with a filter and a mass adaptor like i do for the winter months

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

to late now :( can u get some pics of close ups.. too see how u did it. if u dont mind.

Admins, is it ok if we keep posting here?? dont wanna get this thread off topic

if its useful to anyone i found universal parts at the local autozone to make my intake kit and i didnt need to modify anything

and what parts would they happen to be?

TGC Regular
    two pipes, couplers and a filter? lol

no i actually used an adapter plate connect the filter.i just had to break off a tab where the adapter plate connected that was in the way
    Attached Images Attached Images

anyone have a link for a decent metal adapter...i keep finding plastic ones

it works best if you get a dry cell battery relocate it to the rear (trunk) get an elbow (silicone 3") to a long 3 inch straight pipe aluminum, or whatever u can get ur hands on. and run it about 2- 3 feet and then clamp your original hosing bent to the left and the mass air flow sensor and adapter plusilter will sit where your battery once sat getting cold air and no hot radiato fan turbulance ;)

i used thefactory block and 0guage wire from a bmw 94-97 ran it trough the car to the trunk , in oreder to get the posotive terminal block i removed the cruise control at top left of the engine bay and screwed it in there. whouses cruise control anyways?

ill post pictures later

here it is... dont mind the cazy throttle body elbow lol it runs fine and no leaks till i get me a silicone, i tore up the last one swapping the 5spd.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    What the hell is that, why not just play around and do it the normal way???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast