The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Roof Racks on an 8G

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Roof Racks on an 8G

Ok - I did a little search and nothing turned up.

So - has anyone ever installed roof racks on their G? If so, which make/model, and what was your feeling about them?

Was the install easy/difficult? Any issues like leaking, excess noise etc?

Any help is appreciated.
    Just living another day in the universe !

I think the roof rack is a universal product

word...
    She reads at a sophmore level....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhd24)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think the roof rack is a universal product</div>

Dealership used to carry them as a factory option. Never seen one in use, ever.

Experienced TGC Member
    what's the point of having a roof rack on a midsize car anyway???

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(colombiano)</div><div class='quotemain'>word...</div>

Cosign

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Well, reason is I surf quite a bit and needless to say its pretty impossible to get a surfboard anywhere except with a roof rack.

I have the soft ones, but they have already torn the insulation rubber along the doors, and also put some minor dents in the roofing (right where the door meets the roof) from the pressure of being tied down tight.

The hard roof-racks may look a bit stupid, but Im trying to figure out my other options. I can keep using the soft ones until I do some more serious damage to my car, but would prefer not to. I can stop surfing, but would prefer not to. I could get a different car but a) I like my Galant and Im not exactly able to afford a change right now.

So thats led me to thinking about getting roof racks on top. There are plenty of aftermarket ones, just like any other part we get, but I was just looking to see if anyone had experience with any.

Anyway - thats why. . . .

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    Personally, i like roof racks, they are sporty looking. I've seen some nice looking ones too so just search the internet, which you seem to have been doing already. I would go ahead and put one. I haven't put one in my car because i don't have a use for one...I'm not as sporty as i once was...but if i took up biking or something like that again, i would definately do it myself.

Mitsu does offer one...but you're probably going to pay a premium because it's a "Mitsubishi."

About mounting, i'm not really sure how they mount. I'm not sure that they drill holes into the car...i emagine there are some sort of fasterning machenism under the rubber trips on the roof for that. But even if you do have to drill holes on to the car. Just take your time and don't cut any corners when doing it. Also, if you don't feel comfortable doing it. Take it to a shop. A shop will usually give a a warranty on whatever work they do. It should not cost you more than 50-70 bucks to get it installed professionally.

i would really be interested in seeing how it looks. So when you do...please post pics.
    -Pedro

I have seen them here in Boston. they mainly use them for there skis. It looks ok, but I don't want one.

"If Wal-Mart is lowering prices everyday, how come nothing is free yet"

TGC Regular
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...ategoryID=73397

scroll to the very bottom, last 3 are roof racks, and the very last one looks like it might be what your looking for...

"GALANT ROOF RACK
    Includes cross bars, q-towers, clips & lock cylinders."

Price - $217.43

Cool - thanks for the input everyone.

I guess Ill see whats out there and give one of them a try out - Seems like Yakima and Thule are the 2 big ones. Anyone had any experience with either?

Summer is coming - so Ill probably get some after I get my car painted next month. Ill def post Pics then !

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    but they don't really show what they look like on the car...

Good luck mangoman
    -Pedro

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>but they don't really show what they look like on the car...

Good luck mangoman</div>

yeh, thats the only thing i was kinda iffy about.

hi

dont think it would sit well, espescially since i am used to the look of most g's w/o em
    doing my thing, one mod at a time