The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: testing interest: 7G Cold Air Intakes....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 81
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar

testing interest: 7G Cold Air Intakes....

a while ago, i wanted to make "official" 7G CAIs. but after thinking about it for a while, it wasn't worth the investment, especially if no one bought any of them. the main reason why it wasn't worth it, is because for like $40-50 you can make your own hard-pipe CAI with the integra cai and the mas adapter. and that's not a bad setup for the money spent.

but then i was thinking. the typical 7G cai just runs down to about midway down the tranny....pretty good distance from the engine....

but not good enough. i was looking under my car yesterday, and i totally realized i can add a 90* bend where the filter would be, and have it go even further from the engine by having the filter wind up directly in front of the passenger tire. and for those people with body kits, that's directly behind the passenger air damn. now thats a [b]<span style='color:blue'>COLD</span> air intake.

i almost 86ed the idea again because i just didn't think anyone would buy them. well now that jet black so graciously leaves his arc welder at my house....i am inspired to do this again.

SO.....i am asking all your n/a 7Gers.....how much would you pay for an "official" CAI? $100? $75? $50? it would be 3" steel hardpipe, all the way from the TB, to the MAS, and to the filter. you can paint it any color your heart desires. this would be a full CAI kit. it will even come with the MAS adapter. and i'm not talking about that black plastic pos on ebay that opens up to 3", it would be the 4.5" aluminum one. no need to piece together your own and risk parts not matching up and what not. each intake i make would be test fitted on my car so they will have perfect fitment.

depending on the interest....i would like to do this. even if you already have a full blown CAI on your 7G, i'd like to know how much you would pay for a kit like this, assuming you didn't already have your cai.

all thoughts and suggestions are welcome
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

94 5-Speed
    I'd do $75, wait is that including filter? I'm interested in one, if you decide to do it by the way.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    50 bux without K&N
    75 bux with K&N filter

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    $100 for a bolt on CAI with filter would be very fair. Just make sure you come up with a design that has mounting brackets to hold up the MAS.

I remember BACK IN THE DAY, we had a group buy for an Arospeed short ram intake for the 7g. Cost me $80 for a pipe, two couplers, MAS adapter and filter haha!

While your at it, make me a set of welded 2.5" mandrel bent IC piping
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>$100 for a bolt on CAI with filter would be very fair. Â*Just make sure you come up with a design that has mounting brackets to hold up the MAS.

I remember BACK IN THE DAY, we had a group buy for an Arospeed short ram intake for the 7g. Â*Cost me $80 for a pipe, two couplers, MAS adapter and filter haha!

While your at it, make me a set of welded 2.5" mandrel bent IC piping </div>

oh wait! you mean you making the shit official like RACTIVE and shit. that would be hott. Ya i dont think you would be charging those prices i listed first.
    If the shit official i defenately would be down. Yo P shit cant go out till Thursday but will be 2 day express Homie. MY CONNECT IS OUT SO ONLY THE MOUNT COMING IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

it would come with a filter, mounting brackets for the MAS and lower pipe, and maybe even a mounting bracket for the filter, if needed. the idea is to have someone buy the kit and not have to buy anything else.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

For a perfect fit? I'm in.. $75

$100 with filter i'm in.
    I'm selling my G

I'm down for $100
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stopfakn)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm down for $100</div>

cosigned.

Proto
    the tutorial i wrote is basically this. you just have to chop one pipe and get that plumbing coupler.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stopfakn)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm down for $100</div>

cosigned.</div>
    perfect fit.everything included.co signed. x2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>the tutorial i wrote is basically this. you just have to chop one pipe and get that plumbing coupler.</div>

true, but the extra 90 degree bend at the end is going to make a difference i think. it's going to be exactly like the 8G Cai, for example. the filter winds up on the other side of the side beam, underneath the engine bay, in front of the tire, yet still not as low as the bumper

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Proto
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>the tutorial i wrote is basically this. you just have to chop one pipe and get that plumbing coupler.</div>

true, but the extra 90 degree bend at the end is going to make a difference i think. it's going to be exactly like the 8G Cai, for example. the filter winds up on the other side of the side beam, underneath the engine bay, in front of the tire, yet still not as low as the bumper</div>

actually if you put another coupler on you could use that extra piece of pipe of instead of the extention pipe use that. for our cars its hard to get behind the wheel well without cutting that guard. mine doesnt sit low as my bumper either, off to side right near that plastic guard.

yeah, i dont have a passenger side guard/shield or whatever, so people would have to cut a 3" hole in their guard....or remove it completely. it doesn't really serve a purpose anyways unless you go offroading or run into some gnarly puddles

1994 Galant GS 5spd

if everything is gonna be their where talking filter mas adaptor, brakets, couples, etc. well a shop over here in h-town was gonna do mine for 90 so i say i'm in for 80 or so! and he said he would use the stock plastic 90 bend down at the bottom! damn dude just ask i would've told you! lol, but i'm down for i guess $100 shipped but diffently 80 shipped 100 is kinda like ummm.... but let us know what's goin on with that!
    life's a waste of time, time's a waste of life, So foget about life and get wasted all the time!

Experienced TGC Member
    Id be down when i get a job.. But my only concern is how would it effect it if it rains and you drive the car???? Would water get into the filter or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19
    Id be down when i get a job.. But my only concern is how would it effect it if it rains and you drive the car???? Would water get into the filter or what?
    this has always been a problem for CAIs that are close to the ground. tons of people have driven in the rain and gone through light puddles with long CAIs, but if you really want to be safe, you can buy an extra 4.5" filter and keep it in your trunk. if it rains, take out the pre-MAS pipe and put the filter right onto the mas adapter. shouldn't take more than 2 minutes. in california that's a valid option because it doesn't rain out here....don't know how often it rains in SC.....

except for right now. 2 weeks and STILL raining...WTF

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    $100 for a 7g CAI is a good deal man you should sell quite a few.

As far as the issue of CAI with the associated problem with sucking up water. I suggest to create a section of piping anywhere before the MAF where if the person wants has the option of adding on a bypass valve like what AEM has. (You can buy just the bypass valve from AEM) Just have a section of the piping to have a coupler and if the person wants to add the bypass valve they can replace the coupler with the AEM bypass valve in its place. I dunno...just shooting an idea.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

94 5-Speed
    Yeah, that's what I would do. I'd get an AEM bypass filter so I don't nuke the car every time it rains.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast