The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: testing interest: 7G Cold Air Intakes....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 81
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGALANT
    well if i come across some extra money ill throw it your way.. but i did my own intake and used an air ratchet to tighten everything down.. only lost 1 filter and that was the first day.. tightened the new one extra tight and havnt lost it yet.. in fact i just bought some extra filters just in case..

hope your money problems go away and gl building the g even better then b4!
    it's not the money for the moment, that doesn't matter, but the overall price of these couplers is too expensive for mass production. still waiting to find standard rubber couplings....
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGALANT
    well if i come across some extra money ill throw it your way.. but i did my own intake and used an air ratchet to tighten everything down.. only lost 1 filter and that was the first day.. tightened the new one extra tight and havnt lost it yet.. in fact i just bought some extra filters just in case..

hope your money problems go away and gl building the g even better then b4!
    just use hairspray on the inside of the coupling as well as the outside of the pipes, before you clamp it down.

but there is no substitute for a nice gentle bead around the end of the intake.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

found a site with pretty solid prices on standard rubber couplers...intake prototype on the way...design a little bit different than pictured

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Hey Matt, you still gonna test fit that prototype on my G? Just wondering.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MissMaverick)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Matt, you still gonna test fit that prototype on my G? Just wondering.</div>

i might, might not. all the parts arn't here yet, the couplers are on the way. i'm either gonna have the intake turn really sharp and go under the battery tray, or have it just go to the side as i originally planned and then cut back under the chasis

we'll see.... once i get cutting and welding i'll have a better idea of where i'm at. if i do need an oem 7g for test fitting i'll ask you at least a week in advance when a good time to meet up would be. thanks again andrea...

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>i might, might not. all the parts arn't here yet, the couplers are on the way. i'm either gonna have the intake turn really sharp and go under the battery tray, or have it just go to the side as i originally planned and then cut back under the chasis

we'll see.... once i get cutting and welding i'll have a better idea of where i'm at. if i do need an oem 7g for test fitting i'll ask you at least a week in advance when a good time to meet up would be. thanks again andrea...</div>

It's no problem, matt...I don't mind whoring my car out for the good of all 7g'ers out there

Just hit me up if/when your prototype is ready, and we'll figure it out. Just to let you know in advance though, I'm gonna be out of town from August 10 to August 25, so we can't do it then. But anytime after that is cool. In the meanwhile, have fun putting it all together.

how are things coming along? can't wait to see a proto!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slayer544)</div><div class='quotemain'>how are things coming along? can't wait to see a proto!!!</div>

leave it to UPS to take 2 weeks to deliver something from 150 miles away....still waiting on that straight 3" steel tubing.....thanks ups

1994 Galant GS 5spd

wow. I hate UPS. Always have, always will.

ok, well, UPS never had my box to begin with. the company i ordered the pipe from lied to me; they still don't have any stock, still waiting. i bitched them out and i found a local supplier of 3" steel. should have a rough version after today....don't have the welder at the moment though...

1994 Galant GS 5spd

put me down for one.. had to go short ram after i ran over my extension pipe.. i had just resecured it.. argh im so angry at these cheap intakes.. nothin is the right size...
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

good news everyone

fabbed up a quick version of what it should come out to.

in the last pic you can see the filter on the left side through the hole, hanging under the white plastic plug.

now for the bad news. i don't have a/c, at least not anymore, and i've removed the silver phallic canister that hangs down in front of the passenger side tire where the charcoal canister is. with the silver canister there it's pretty much impossible to put the filter outside of the engine bay under the oem battery location. the filter itself can fit next to the canisters, but there's no way to run a pipe in there without it hanging below the bumper, which is unacceptable for ground clearance issues.

i'll crawl under the beast tommorow and see what i can do, but it looks bad for those of you with a/c. what does this mean? there might be, and probably will be, two different intakes made. those without a/c will be able to have the intake that's pictured. for people with a/c, i'm afraid you're screwed into running the conventional style 7g CAI with the filter running down to the ground between the transmission and radiator.

of course the whole thing still isn't done yet. brackets need to made. one will be just after the MAS and will share one of the strut tower bolts. i really don't like this idea, since i just want to leave the strut tower alone, but this is the only reasonable place that's close by. hopefully this will change once i really get in there and look around. the other bracket will be welded to the steel pipe closest to the ground just before it dissapears under the side. probably be bolted to one of the two studs inside the frame there.

also, i need to get a steel tube with an ID of about 1/8" for a breather line nipple. in my personal and professional opinion, i think the breather line on all cars should be vented to the atmosphere, regardless of the uncalculated air entering the system, there's no sludge and oil going back into the intake! i will HAPPILY make custom intakes that do not have the nipple for the breather line for a cleaner cai, and a cleaner, more powerful, and healthier engine.

any comments about the wiring in my engine bay will pretty much gaurantee you never get an intake...or anything

short of a bag of ice, water/meth injection or some nitrous, the intake ain't getting any "colder" than that.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i like it, and i was planing on removing my a/c when i get my honda goin. looks really good. im exited and looks good w/ that kit.
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

Proto

mine sits rather lower than the traditional way. i modified an 3G CAI for mine. i attached one bracket to the mas adaptor to where my AC line bolts and one on the extension on the old battery tray bolt.

Proto
    also you could buy a S2000 intake and go for what you are doing. Chop the pipe from the TB and your set. Pic below

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>also you could buy a S2000 intake and go for what you are doing. Chop the pipe from the TB and your set. Pic below</div>

errmm no. first off, it's aluminum. i can't weld anything except steel and heavy aluminum to steel. also, the only pipe of any use in there would be the one with the two 90* bends. the bend wouldn't work because it bump directly into the charcoal canister, and the pipe would need to be extended from the mas anyways to clear the transmission

1994 Galant GS 5spd

On the bracket regarding fitment at the stut tower. When I had mine I just removed a bolt that connected part of the fuse box cover, reattached it and it held rock solid for the 3 years I had my g.

Quote Originally Posted by slayer544
    any news?
    since i finished it, i moved. and now i'm just finishing up moving. between my lack of a garage until the end of october, and the lack of enthusiasm from everyone after i posted up the mock up intake, it's gonna be another couple of months before i finish it up with brackets. also, i still have to work on getting the couplers for cheaper. as of right now it's costing almost &#036;90 to make each one

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    damn.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast