The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Calipers went bad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 71
    You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1
    Dude I work for NAPA. And no I'm not the counter guy I'm the one who bills customers. So don't tell me that that's what the parts will cost and I live in the most expensive state to own a car.
    Then tell me, what do the rotors from white box standard to premium grade cost for a Mitsubishi Galant? Tell me what your cost is and what you would sell it to a shop (like the one who worked on Kal's car)???
    You just quoted my prices. Those were not prices that I sat down and came up with. This is what they would charge if some one walked in to buy that stuff. If I quoted the price that I get then it would be a whole lot lower. Those prices that I wrote are the prices that any walk in customer gets.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1
    Pretty sure that they didn't order from partsamerica.com.
    Cell phone companys also charges you for owning you rown #, but we are talking about auto parts here.
    Well of course not, but that was to show you that aftermarket parts can cost as much as Kal's bill totaled too. Labor differs depending on state, if a shop charges booktime, and what the actual labor dollar per hour is.

<span style='color:red'>And whats different between your cellular provider and an auto repair shop charging you for the extra cost of time and paperwork to give you a detailed bill?</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Pretty sure that they didn't order from partsamerica.com.
    Cell phone companys also charges you for owning you rown #, but we are talking about auto parts here.</div>

Well of course not, but that was to show you that aftermarket parts can cost as much as Kal's bill totaled too. Labor differs depending on state, if a shop charges booktime, and what the actual labor dollar per hour is.

<span style='color:red'>And whats different between your cellular provider and a auto repair shop charging you for the extra cost of time and paperwork to give you a detailed bill?</span>

Bill aside the fact is they riped him off on the price of his parts. Yes you can't really fight the llabor cost but come on, you know that he got jacked on the price of the parts. And just a quick side note NAPA does not charge delivery to commercial customers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    You just quoted my prices. Those were not prices that I sat down and came up with. This is what they would charge if some one walked in to buy that stuff. If I quoted the price that I get then it would be a whole lot lower. Those prices that I wrote are the prices that any walk in customer gets.</div>

Ok, so let me get this right...if a rotor costs a walk in customer $20, napa sells it to a shop for $15. You buy it for $8. Napas actual cost is probably $2-3 (most likely less, a lot less). What says that a shop doesn't have the right to charge $40 for that same rotor?

They buy it for $15. You add he cost of paperwork, cost of materials, lighting, heating, tools, hoists, mechanic time, etc etc... After all is said and done the shop probably makes $5-8 per rotor or less.

An auto repair shops operating costs are higher than you'd think.

Bill aside the fact is they riped him off on the price of his parts. Yes you can't really fight the llabor cost but come on, you know that he got jacked on the price of the parts. And just a quick side note NAPA does not charge delivery to commercial customers.</div>

I'm sorry I can't agree that they ripped him off on parts. We all don't know what was used. Were they new calipers? Maybe. Were they remanufactured? Most likely.

Maybe they bought the parts from a company like S&G, or another specialized import supplier, maybe it cost him $100 for the caliper...

The bottom line is we don't know what was used. To be honest I still don't see the big deal if your brakes cost less than 1/20th of what the car cost new, whats the problem?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    You just quoted my prices. Those were not prices that I sat down and came up with. This is what they would charge if some one walked in to buy that stuff. If I quoted the price that I get then it would be a whole lot lower. Those prices that I wrote are the prices that any walk in customer gets.</div>

Ok, so let me get this right...if a rotor costs a walk in customer $20, napa sells it to a shop for $15. You buy it for $8. Napas actual cost is probably $2-3 (most likely less, a lot less). What says that a shop doesn't have the right to charge $40 for that same rotor?

They buy it for $15. You add he cost of paperwork, cost of materials, lighting, heating, tools, hoists, mechanic time, etc etc... After all is said and done the shop probably makes $5-8 per rotor or less.

An auto repair shops operating costs are higher than you'd think.</div>

Tell you what why don't you scroll up a few posts and read my pricing. Fact is they robbed him. I don't care what bills they have. You can't open a repair shop with just your bare hands . You need tool but the price for these thing should be in the <span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>LABOR COST</span> and not the parts.

Tell you what why don't you scroll up a few posts and read my pricing. Fact is they robbed him. I don't care what bills they have. You can't open a repair shop with just your bare hands . You need tool but the price for these thing should be in the <span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>LABOR COST</span> and not the parts.</div>

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Based on the cheap rotors you are suggesting sure. </span>

However the fact remains that we don't know who they used and until then you have no creditability to say he got ripped off.

RedGalant2k1 you are way too defensive man... So what if you own a shop? Don't tell me you've never been ripped off before. Besides, EVEN if YOU always use the best quality parts for your customer, it is more likely than not that the shop fixing Kal's 8G used mediocre or even inferior quality parts. Be realistic, every business wants to earn money, and the best way to do it is to cut cost.

To add another point: If the shop really used "premium" rotors and new calipers, you think they wouldn't tell Kal about it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Tell you what why don't you scroll up a few posts and read my pricing. Fact is they robbed him. I don't care what bills they have. You can't open a repair shop with just your bare hands . You need tool but the price for these thing should be in the <span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>LABOR COST</span> and not the parts.</div>

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Based on the cheap rotors you are suggesting sure. </span>

However the fact remains that we don't know who they used and until then you have no creditability to say he got ripped off.</div>

So why won't they tell him where they got his parts? Why after he agrred to pay for the itmized bill they still told him that they can't do that "its not policy"? I talked to Kal today so I know more than you do on this situation. Also isn't it funny that you order from NAPA? So I'm guessing that you use the so called cheap rotors too and charge your customers a ton too. Your shop is probably just as bad as that one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhema83)</div><div class='quotemain'>RedGalant2k1 you are way too defensive man... So what if you own a shop? Don't tell me you've never been ripped off before. Besides, EVEN if YOU always use the best quality parts for your customer, it is more likely than not that the shop fixing Kal's 8G used mediocre or even inferior quality parts. Be realistic, every business wants to earn money, and the best way to do it is to cut cost.</div>

Why is it more than likely that the shop that fixed Kal's car used mediocre parts? Of course every business wants to make money, and yes the best way is to cut cost, but pissing off your customers is really not the smartest thing to do.

So why won't they tell him where they got his parts? Why after he agrred to pay for the itmized bill they still told him that they can't do that "its not policy"? I talked to Kal today so I know more than you do on this situation. Also isn't it funny that you order from NAPA? So I'm guessing that you use the so called cheap rotors too and charge your customers a ton too. Your shop is probably just as bad as that one.</div>

Look Skyline, here is the deal. Its not my shop, you didn't supply the parts so we know two things 1) They probably aren't Napa parts, and 2) All Brake parts don't cost the same as Napa Brake parts. (That in no way is meant to degrade Napa or other companies)

Also, you don't need to act smug because you talked to Kal today so this "I know more than you" can be dropped. Btw, we use Napa as little as possible we have larger local suppliers that sell us brake parts, at better prices.

Some people want cheap brakes, and we can certianly oblige our customers request for cheap rotors, pads, calipers, but you get what you pay for. I'm sorry I don't want to cheapen out on the most important thing on the car.

As for attacking the intergrity of my shop, you have no right to do that.

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>I never attacked Napa so don't attack my shop.</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhema83)</div><div class='quotemain'>RedGalant2k1 you are way too defensive man... So what if you own a shop? Don't tell me you've never been ripped off before. Besides, EVEN if YOU always use the best quality parts for your customer, it is more likely than not that the shop fixing Kal's 8G used mediocre or even inferior quality parts. Be realistic, every business wants to earn money, and the best way to do it is to cut cost.</div>

Why is it more than likely that the shop that fixed Kal's car used mediocre parts? Of course every business wants to make money, and yes the best way is to cut cost, but pissing off your customers is really not the smartest thing to do.

So why won't they tell him where they got his parts? Why after he agrred to pay for the itmized bill they still told him that they can't do that "its not policy"? I talked to Kal today so I know more than you do on this situation. Also isn't it funny that you order from NAPA? So I'm guessing that you use the so called cheap rotors too and charge your customers a ton too. Your shop is probably just as bad as that one.</div>

Look Skyline, here is the deal. Its not my shop, you didn't supply the parts so we know two things 1) They probably aren't Napa parts, and 2) All Brake parts don't cost the same as Napa Brake parts. (That in no way is meant to degrade Napa or other companies)

Also, you don't need to act smug because you talked to Kal today so this "I know more than you" can be dropped. Btw, we use Napa as little as possible we have larger local suppliers that sell us better brake parts.

Some people want cheap brakes, and we can certianly oblige our customers request for cheap rotors, pads, calipers, but you get what you pay for. I'm sorry I don't want to cheapen out on the most important thing on the car.

As for attacking the intergrity of my shop, you have no right to do that.

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>I never attacked Napa so don't attack my shop.</span></div>

You attacked my credibility, which indirectly attacks the training that my organization has given me.

You attacked my credibility, which indirectly attacks the training that my organization has given me.</div>

You attacked a Auto Repair Shops creditibility which indirectly attacks mine, let alone attacks your biggest customers.

Seriously, don't take it so personal.

<span style='color:red'>If you think Auto Repair Shops rip people off you might want to find a new line of work, because your customers may not like your opinion of them, I know I don't and I'm your customer</span>

I'll tell my mechanics not to use Napa company wide, does Napa want to lose the millions of dollars in parts we buy off them yearly? I don't think so, you would do good to choose your words carefully.

You attacked my credibility, which indirectly attacks the training that my organization has given me.</div>

You attacked a Auto Repair Shops creditibility which indirectly attacks mine, let alone attacks your biggest customers.

Seriously, don't take it so personal.

<span style='color:red'>If you think Auto Repair Shops rip people off you might want to find a new line of work, because your customers may not like your opinion of them, I know I don't and I'm your customer</span>

I'll tell my mechanics not to use Napa company wide, does Napa want to lose the millions of dollars in parts we buy off them yearly? I don't think so, you would do good to choose your words carefully.</div>

Frankly I don't care. I won't be there after April 30th so you can do what you what. I'm tired and really don't feel like taking to a programmed machine right now. You win.

Frankly I don't care. I won't be there after April 30th so you can do what you what. I'm tired and really don't feel like taking to a programmed machine right now. You win.</div>

Thats a nice excuse.

You know I'm right and you cannot come up with another attack on Auto Repair Facilities because of that fact.

Frankly I don't care. I won't be there after April 30th so you can do what you what. I'm tired and really don't feel like taking to a programmed machine right now. You win.</div>

Thats a nice excuse.

You know I'm right and you cannot come up with another attack on Auto Repair Facilities because of that fact.</div>

It's 12:58 in NY. I really don't want to continue this arguement. Lets just agree to disagree.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Thats a nice excuse.

You know I'm right and you cannot come up with another attack on Auto Repair Facilities because of that fact.</div>

It's 12:58 in NY. I really don't want to continue this arguement. Lets just agree to disagree.</div>

Agreed.

Its the same time here...hahaha... oh well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Seriously, don't take it so personal. Â*

I'll tell my mechanics not to use Napa company wide, does Napa want to lose the millions of dollars in parts we buy off them yearly? Â*I don't think so, you would do good to choose your words carefully.</div>

Chill, man. Don't you think you are the one taking it too personally? Your mechanics did not service Kal's car. If Kal ends up really getting ripped off, it is not your fault and it's well, none of your business. It won't affect either your credibility or your shop's.

Come on, in every business (in fact, every kind of things) there are bad apples. You gotta live with them. Instead of defending them - whose credibility is unknown to you - why not learn a lesson and make sure you don't do what they do that pissed customers off? People like to stereotype all bikers as reckless daredevils, especially when a kid kills himself or someone else on a literbike. Do I, an avid rider since teenage years, stand up and defend those mofos? No. I'd say there are good bikers and bad bikers. I'll stay alive by not doing what those idiots do.

Yes, NAPA would lose much of its business without shops - like yours. But shops like yours would not exist without customers - like us. You need to lose that "holier-than-thou" attitude.

If you want to know why I presumed that the shop servicing Kal's car used mediocre parts, I learnt it the hard way, from experience. Not a single repair shop (auto and moto, in Asia and in Americas) that I have dealt with used high quality performance parts unless I very specifically said that I want them.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Dude, im not attacking your shop or Napa. Just telling you what i know from 10 yrs being in the business. Shit the cheapest AAIMCO rotors i ever sold cost the store 5.85 and list on the shit was 10 something. I know the shop charged the customer over 30 a piece for those cheap shits.

And just a quick thought. the same cheap parts they put on your car are probably on a car driving next or behind you. Can someone behind you come to a full emergency stop on 5 dollor rotors and 40 dollar remac calipers?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

guys.. chilllax and breath..... can we all just get along ??!! 8)

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    so my grand total should be $818.57 Â*I'm wondering where they came up with $961 from.</div>

Not bad. But get a itemized reciept.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'>if its the calipers you can save money by going to the dealer and getting the caliper rebuild kit.

You will need a nice sized pair of vice grips, and grease.</div>

waste of time to rebuild the caliper, buy a new or rebuilt, its cheaper and easier.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bronxbombr)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Been in the autoparts business to know all the loopholes.
    Also 425 in parts is mad expensive especially if you dont know exactly what parts they putting on the car. Believe me when i tell you i have seen guys come to pick up the cheapest rotors they can find $8.00 but charge the customer 30 -50 per rotor. Brake pads same shit. And the master cylinder most stores get like 40-50 off so they go for 20-70 the most that i have ever sold to a store. I even once sold a store Plug Wires that cost the guy 10 bux, he calls his employees and tell the guy not to bill it as some other part cuz he taking out of the box and giving them to him.</div>

$425 isn't expensive at all. Two balljoints on a Ford Explorer cost more than that, and that doesn't include the labor or alignment. $425 for two rotors, a set of pads, two calipers, hardware, is cheap. $200+ in labor is nothing considering they fixed the hardware in the rear, installed new calipers, resurfaced the rotors (as most need to be resurfaced out of the box anyway), installed new hardware, installed new pads, test drove the car. Seriously man $600-700 for a full front brake job is good.

If you want to see expensive do the front rotors on a BMW 740Li or a 3500 Ram truck. Those rotors cost upwards of $150-200 per rotor! We did front and rear brake pads and rotors on a 740Li it cost over $1100 when we were all said and done.

Whats wrong with charging $50 per rotor? You realize you don't just have the cost of the rotor involved in that right? There is required paperwork, materials for install, mechanic time, mechanic tools, cost to use the hoist, cost to operate the lights in the store, cost to operate the air compressor that runs the mechancs tools to fix your car right the first time. Seriously everyone needs to understand that there is more than just the $8 rotor thats built in when you pay for it.

Nobody seems to have a problem when Walmart pays $.50 for something and sells it for $15......I wonder why that is?</div>Man you can try to justify all you want but we all know that most mechanics will rip you off. When my car got hit on the passenger side fender, I took it to a mechanic to get a quote. The only damage was paint from the other car and my bumper scratched up, however my hood was'nt closing properly because a truck backup into me and bent the radiator support. Without even looking under the hood, the mechanic told me that the frame is bent and its gonna cost a lot to straighten. I just rolled my eyes and left

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast