The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Calipers went bad.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Showing results 61 to 71 of 71
    TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Tell you what why don't you scroll up a few posts and read my pricing. Fact is they robbed him. I don't care what bills they have. You can't open a repair shop with just your bare hands . You need tool but the price for these thing should be in the <span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>LABOR COST</span> and not the parts.</div>

<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>Based on the cheap rotors you are suggesting sure. </span>

However the fact remains that we don't know who they used and until then you have no creditability to say he got ripped off.</div>

So why won't they tell him where they got his parts? Why after he agrred to pay for the itmized bill they still told him that they can't do that "its not policy"? I talked to Kal today so I know more than you do on this situation. Also isn't it funny that you order from NAPA? So I'm guessing that you use the so called cheap rotors too and charge your customers a ton too. Your shop is probably just as bad as that one.</div>lol yo I went to a shop on Bergen between Schenectady and Utica to get a quote. The guy does good work, but when I went to get the quote I had second thoughts. When he saw the car, he said he would paint it and fix the damages for $1500. Now he thought I was paying for it. When I told him that the other person's insurance is paying he said I would have to pay an extra $200 for them to sign some insurance paper. Now I dont know what the hell he was talking about, cause I got a check from the insurance company and that was the end of the story. When ever you take your car to a shop tell them you are paying out of your own pocket, at least they'll try to work with you. Once you tell them that insurance is paying its a wrap

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhema83)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    You attacked a Auto Repair Shops creditibility which indirectly attacks mine, let alone attacks your biggest customers.

Seriously, don't take it so personal. Â*

<span style='color:red'>If you think Auto Repair Shops rip people off you might want to find a new line of work, because your customers may not like your opinion of them, I know I don't and I'm your customer</span>

I'll tell my mechanics not to use Napa company wide, does Napa want to lose the millions of dollars in parts we buy off them yearly? Â*I don't think so, you would do good to choose your words carefully.</div>

Chill, man. Don't you think you are the one taking it too personally? Your mechanics did not service Kal's car. If Kal ends up really getting ripped off, it is not your fault and it's well, none of your business. It won't affect either your credibility or your shop's.

Come on, in every business (in fact, every kind of things) there are bad apples. You gotta live with them. Instead of defending them - whose credibility is unknown to you - why not learn a lesson and make sure you don't do what they do that pissed customers off? People like to stereotype all bikers as reckless daredevils, especially when a kid kills himself or someone else on a literbike. Do I, an avid rider since teenage years, stand up and defend those mofos? No. I'd say there are good bikers and bad bikers. I'll stay alive by not doing what those idiots do.

Yes, NAPA would lose much of its business without shops - like yours. But shops like yours would not exist without customers - like us. You need to lose that "holier-than-thou" attitude.

If you want to know why I presumed that the shop servicing Kal's car used mediocre parts, I learnt it the hard way, from experience. Not a single repair shop (auto and moto, in Asia and in Americas) that I have dealt with used high quality performance parts unless I very specifically said that I want them.</div>Well said. Thats why whenever I take my car to the shop, I always bring my own parts. I went to change my oil once and I brought Royal Purple, the guy told me that oil is crap and that it gonna mess up my engine, mind you he never even heard of that oil before. Ignorance is bliss

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    hmm, damn.

Guys i appreciate your concern...

Well, i just called the shop to get the brands of the parts put on my car. No such luck...the guy who ordered the parts was not there. The guy who worked on my car (who picked up the phone) said that they put good quality parts after i asked for the brands. He couldn't remember the brands. I do think that the calipers are new. and i remember seeing the boxes for the rotors, the bottom where black and the top white... I don't remember the brand. I hope that helps.

The fact of the matter is, i paid the 961 Dollars. I would have loved to do this job myself but the circumstances didn't allow for it. I just moved to texas less than a month ago so i could definately have used the money spent of labor and anything they overcharged me for (if that did happen. $96 for pads and 98 dollars per rotors seem a bit much to me when Chad got a set of cross drilled rotors for 90 bucks for both.

One thing is for sure...i will not be going back to that shop...EVER. I personally feel that i did get overcharged and i hate when people take advantage of other people.

Redgalant2k1, your quote was for 600-700 i paid 961, you have to admit that i was at the top end of that average and by a lot.

No need for anyone to feel disrespected.
    -Pedro

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkylineG1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>my shop during the winter our heating bill was well in excess of $5000.
    </div>

So? My heating bill in my home was more than $250 a month. You don't see me out there trying to rob granny for money.</div>

Neither do I see the shop doing the same to Kal.

BTW I found prices too!

BeckArnley Brake calipers (unloaded) - $110.99 ea (plus tax and shipping)
    BeckArnley Brake Rotors - $74.99 ea (plus tax and shipping)
    BeckArnley Hardware Kit - $18.99 set (plus tax and shipping)
    Hawk HP Brake Pads - $83 set (plus tax and shipping)

Thats $492 in parts.

Should I go to labor?

We charge $70 per labor hour. Std. Brake Labor is 1hr per axle. 30min additional for calipers. Rear brake clean and adjust, including install of new adjusters/hardware in rear $70.

Total brake labor $140.

Plus tax on parts only (Michigan 6%)

Total bill: $662.52 (That is using parts and prices found online, for the record yes we could do it cheaper, but for sake of comparison.)

Plus towing. $50 per labor hour is cheap.</div>

For the record, Beck Arnley only sells semi loaded calipers for the G, I know cuz i sell em, line codes I.E. are 077-0945S
    Astro makes em too but they remacs and the line codes are AST 50-7855
    Cardone makes em too, but they loaded lime codes are CD 16-1475 or semi loaded 17-1475. some come new but they are 19 series and no one stocks those. by the way none of those calipers come to any of those prices you posted. Maybe its different for Auto Parts Store but remember i work for the main warehouse corporation that supplies these stores with they stock, so i know how much they get off of the list price.The store then charges the mechanic at mark up price and then the mechanic marks up the price and charges the customer. All im saying is that for all that he probably couldve gotten the parts from the dealer for cheaper and gave them the parts to put on the car. At least he would know what was actually put on his car instead of playing the guessing game with his money, car and eventually his life. I dont fuck around when it comes to brake jobs. And one more thing about BeckArnley. Get a Bec water pump and look at it closely and i bet you its stamp and says GMB on it. Bec puts they name on anything.
    Nothing but MOOG suspension parts go on my car
    Bec is one of the best of the best but if you dont know what to look for you can get played like a wet food stamp.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhema83)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Chill, man. Don't you think you are the one taking it too personally? Your mechanics did not service Kal's car. If Kal ends up really getting ripped off, it is not your fault and it's well, none of your business. It won't affect either your credibility or your shop's.</div>

I'm not taking it personally. What I want people to understand is simply that 9 out of 10 of mechanics are hardworking and honest people. Yes it wasn't my shop or my mechanics that did the work, but Kal also posted here and there was dissenting opinions on the matter, on both sides.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Come on, in every business (in fact, every kind of things) there are bad apples. You gotta live with them. Instead of defending them - whose credibility is unknown to you - why not learn a lesson and make sure you don't do what they do that pissed customers off? People like to stereotype all bikers as reckless daredevils, especially when a kid kills himself or someone else on a literbike. Do I, an avid rider since teenage years, stand up and defend those mofos? No. I'd say there are good bikers and bad bikers. I'll stay alive by not doing what those idiots do.</div>

I'll be one of the first to tell you there are bad apples out there, and in every walk and aspect of life. However I well again stress that I want people to reduce their stereotypical view of the people that service yours, mine, and everyones pride and joy at one point or another.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes, NAPA would lose much of its business without shops - like yours. But shops like yours would not exist without customers - like us. You need to lose that "holier-than-thou" attitude.</div>

I don't have it, if it came across like that I'm sorry, and I shouldn't be the only one getting the 'holier-than-thou" speech.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>If you want to know why I presumed that the shop servicing Kal's car used mediocre parts, I learnt it the hard way, from experience. Not a single repair shop (auto and moto, in Asia and in Americas) that I have dealt with used high quality performance parts unless I very specifically said that I want them.</div>

My mechanics prefer to use the higher quality parts, and in all honesty my entire company preference is on better quality parts with better warranties and service coverage for the customer. Moog, Monroe, KYB, Bendix, etc....

All I was saying is maybe that shop is the same way, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    For the record, Beck Arnley only sells semi loaded calipers for the G, I know cuz i sell em, line codes I.E. are 077-0945S
    Astro makes em too but they remacs and the line codes are AST 50-7855
    Cardone makes em too, but they loaded lime codes are CD 16-1475 or semi loaded 17-1475. some come new but they are 19 series and no one stocks those. by the way none of those calipers come to any of those prices you posted.
    I know, I was posting retail prices (What the end-customer would pay), not manufacturer cost.

Maybe its different for Auto Parts Store but remember i work for the main warehouse corporation that supplies these stores with they stock, so i know how much they get off of the list price.The store then charges the mechanic at mark up price and then the mechanic marks up the price and charges the customer. [/quote]

Supply chain economics, everybody needs their cut.

All im saying is that for all that he probably couldve gotten the parts from the dealer for cheaper and gave them the parts to put on the car. At least he would know what was actually put on his car instead of playing the guessing game with his money, car and eventually his life. I dont fuck around when it comes to brake jobs.
    Sure he probably could have, bottom line is that his car is fixed and we are debating something utterly pointless now.

Also, we don't mess around with brakes either, that by far is the most important service to be performed on a car.

Kal, most importantly is your car driving okay? Did you test the brakes? If I were you I'd test them on a clear road or a big empty lot.

If all is well, let's end this endless debate and close this thread. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rhema83
    Kal, most importantly is your car driving okay? Did you test the brakes? If I were you I'd test them on a clear road or a big empty lot.

If all is well, let's end this endless debate and close this thread. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion.
    my breaks now don't feel like my breaks before...but being how this is all new hardware it may just be that i have to get used to it.

Honestly, i feel the car's stoping distance is longer than i'm used to...but that kinda makes sense if my breaks where locked up before. SO yeah, i guess all is good.

Thanks.
    -Pedro

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Nice!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

hey Kalamidad, i feel for you man.. i had the same problem about a month ago. i was doing 80 on the highway when my caliper piston disentegrated and my breaking on my right rotor locked up... the car was shaking like crazy...

i rolled over to the side after a cop flagged me down..

he pulled me over to the side and we watched in awe as my rotor was being cooked to a crisp. it was so hot that it lit up the wheels like on those curling iron stove tops..

i spent the next 2 1/2 hours doing 15mph all the way home...

i spent a total of 250~325$

completely new rotor, caliper, break lines from autozone. funny thing is... i only noticed this problem started to happen right after i used my cruise control function.. i think it had something to do with it..
    1998 Galant ES

you cruise control doesn't use your breaks...it uses your transmission to slow the car down...so i think it may have just been concidense that if you where using it when it happened.
    -Pedro

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234