The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lip

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    You are here entirely tooo much!!

Lip

How have some of you guys installed your lip on the G?

Screws
    Rivets
    DBL sided tape
    Glue
    ETC.

I wanna know?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

i would wanna know this too...what lip are you tryna put on the G?
    R.I.P. My fellow Galant owner. May God be with you and your family.

I have the accord lip. I think i have an older post with some preop pics of the thing around here somewhere.

i'd go with the double sided tape with some screws or rivets in places you can't see.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Drywall screws baby!!! Personally, I figure if it's out of sight, and no one sees your ghettoness, then who the hell cares? If it works, it works, and you can't argue with results. I've scraped a million times with my Integra lip, and am yet to have a problem with it comming off or loose.

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

Hhmm, i like the dbl sided tape idea better.

Using both couldn't hurt. Personally, I wouldn't feel secure with just tape. I'd be afraid it would fall off eventually or come loose from a mean scrape.

use both. the tape will keep the lip tight to the body but the screws are the ones that will make sure it doesn't go anywhere

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Id use both. I dont know about drywall screws, but use screws nonetheless. On Sports Car Revolution they showed an install of a lip. First they used the double sided tape to position the lip where they wanted, then they screwed it into place.

Go to streetfire and do a search on eclipse. Theres a video of a white eclipse on there that just used dbl sided tape to install his wing, yup it flew right off and a guy ran over it. If you just use tape, it will eventually come off.
    7g for life!

i wouldn't use drywall screws. first of all im pretty sure the drywall screws you choose will be too long. you don't need some long ass screws. you're just screwing into the lip and then the bumper. not into some 2x4

but more importantly the head.

the head of the drywall screws were made to countersink into the drywall. so if you screw them in too much you might just screw straight through. or if any stress is placed on the lip/bumper the screw can still force its way through

whereas with a sheet metal screw for example

once you get to the bottom of the head thats it. you can screw all day, do whatever and it won't get any deeper.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    All it took to mount the lip on mine is:

-2-4 self tapping screws I used the ones that were packaged with the lip. You can either use 1 screw or 2 screws on each end of the lip to attached to the bumper

3M double sided tape This is for the "flap" that sits on bottom of the mouth of the front bumper. Its added security that the lip will stay in place.

As you can see in this pic I just use 1 self tapping screw to hold each end of the lip to the bumper. You can also see the 2 extra holes I drilled till I got the right spot to the lip fit right and was aligned straight which is the HARDEST part.

In this pic I just put the double sided tape on the "flap" of the lip so it would stick to the bottom of the mouth of the front bumper.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I see what you did G-rim. I mounted mine a little differently. i didn't do any cutting, I just screwed the lip straight up onto the bottom of the bumper cover. Looks just as good IMO. I'll nab some doublesided tape and apply it accordingly, because there are two small gaps on each side of the lip where a screw is impossible to use. Also, as for sheetmetal screws, good idea. I'll use those instead.

hey what car is that lip form?
    95' ES "Diamond"

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim

That intercooler looks soooo good right there..
    -Pedro

7G_Beater
    I would use double sided tape and body bolts or screws (they have the larger flat heads made to keep it from stripping through the pieces).
    They also make metal clips to put on the bumper part to screw the body screws through. This reinforces the plastic and also helps the screws from backing out.

You should be able to get these from any auto parts store...

Clips: http://www.thecliplink.com/u_nuts1.htm

for mine i used for self tapping screws from underneath since on the accord i couldnt attach it from the sides along with a million pounds of fiberglass. i also used some double sided tape to get the fitment right

uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???