The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Painted Taillight housings?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    7gSoldier

Painted Taillight housings?

I've seen posts about clearing the tail lights on a 7g (mines a 96), but has anybody tried painting the housings red where the red covers would have been, or anything similar? If so, where can I find pics and what are your opinions?

What would be the point of doing this?

Also, if you paint it, a whole lot less light (if any at all) is going to show through and it won't look very good. It'll probably just come out looking like you have shitty bulbs in your taillights.

On the other hand, they sell taillight repair tape which is a translucent vinyl material, which if placed on the inside of a cleared taillight, it should make it red while allowing a lot of light to shine through.

And welcome!! Pics!!

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

7gSoldier
    I just bought my G last week and I am really just tossing around ideas right now. I would like to clear and black my headlight housings (I think it was "g-rim" that I saw this on first). I think it will add continuity if the rest of the lights are clear on the outside as well. I like the reflective tape idea, I was originally going to search for some kind of reflective paint that wouldn't dull the light too much. Do you think the tape will stand up to the heat?

Thanks for the welcome, I've been nosing around for a few days now and finally decided to post. I'm going to the Dominican Republic for a couple of weeks with my Guard Unit and will begin modding when I return.. And don't worry, there will be plenty of pictures.

i think hes talking about blacked out tails which several members have done..
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 7gSoldier
    I just bought my G last week and I am really just tossing around ideas right now. I would like to clear and black my headlight housings (I think it was "g-rim" that I saw this on first). I think it will add continuity if the rest of the lights are clear on the outside as well. I like the reflective tape idea, I was originally going to search for some kind of reflective paint that wouldn't dull the light too much. Do you think the tape will stand up to the heat?

Thanks for the welcome, I've been nosing around for a few days now and finally decided to post. I'm going to the Dominican Republic for a couple of weeks with my Guard Unit and will begin modding when I return.. And don't worry, there will be plenty of pictures.
    well if can open up the taillights you'll be golden... also while you are in the DR you can pick up some parts for your car that you won't be able to find in America.... just check around some junkyards while you are down there... maybe even some diff. taillights

when is we gon be free????

sleepagalant
    i have my tailights blacked out .... bought them off of someone on the board but i think he used nightshade spray paint or something like that ...... i even have passed inspection with them on and i am in Virginia

Wow, passed inspection, really? Impressive.

I'm not going to post any pics of my taillights yet (I swore not a single pic until I'm done with my current body work), but I must admit it's very different, I've never seen anyone with anything like it and they actually look pretty damn good. First, I made the mistake of pulling them all apart and putting color filters on the inside, and painting some of the outsides and this and that and it came out absolutely pathetic looking. now what I'm on to looks perfectly stock, but when lit it's damn insane.

And wow, this is my thousandth post!!!! I think that's excuse enough to go out and celebrate...

*remote starts car from room*

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.