The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: wrapping headers

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Proto

wrapping headers

would it be wise to wrap the headers? does it help keep heat down in the bay, etc?

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    I've heard good and bad things about wrapping headers but the good outweighs the bad.

This info is from www.heatsheildproducts.com

Insulators- Most insulators are comprised of fiberglass, which is good for 1000°F of continuous direct heat. Fiberglass wraps can have special coatings applied to them such as "Vermiculite", which allows the glass to take 1200°F of continuous direct contact. The 2000°F bench mark is the maximum temperature glass products can withstand for less than 3 seconds; anything beyond that temperature or period of time will cook glass products. Other popular types of insulator materials are made from silica or ceramic. These materials are more expensive than fiberglass, but can tolerate a higher degree of heat. Silica is good for 1800°F continuous, and ceramic materials are capable of going up to 2300°F continuous.

Heat Shields & Thermal Barriers-The most widely used heat shields and thermal barriers are comprised mostly of aluminum, but also can include other forms of metal or alloys such as stainless steel (1800°F continuous) and inconell (2200°F continuous). Aluminum materials melt at 1227°F and are designed to be used as shields, not insulators. Moreover, aluminum reflects radiant heat away, often exceeding more than 90% efficiency with 1000°F of continuous radiant heat (radiant heat means it is placed with at least a minimum 1" air gap from heat source). Otherwise, they can withstand up to 500°F of a direct heat source. Cloth, tapes, and other aluminum heat shields all fall within the above mentioned parameters.

First things first, do your homework. Check your temperature ratings for you application(s). If you have access to a temperature gun use it. Shoot the areas you need protected and measure the temperatures. By doing this you will get the solution to your problem. For example, you would not buy a pair of cylinder heads or an intake manifold without finding the correct application. Do not do the same thing with thermal insulation. We at Heatshield do not want you to waste your money buying the wrong product. Therefore we will do everything within our power to help you get the right product, at the right price, with the best service.

i'd ceramic coat the headers insteaf of wrapping it.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

i'd wrap.
    if you get the wrap on their tight and even, it actually looks pretty sexy.

headers won't generate the kind of heat that damages anything. but wrapping them bad boys up will help extract more power out of your exhaust system by keeping the exhaust gas hot, and getting them through wuickly.
    its called scavenging. and its the real deal. not some jive.

but if you don't care about a few extra horses.
    then just go for the looks and leave it alone.

but if you get polished headers,
    make absolutly sure you clean them off with brake parts cleaner or some other solvent to get all the fingerprints and grease off before you start her up.
    otherwise its baked on for good.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Peano had his wrapped...ask him

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i wrapped my exhaust manifold for a few reasons. i kinda live by the beach, and john had the exact same exhaust manifold rust through after he parked his car on the beach for a week. the metal is thin and i wanted to protect it. also, i wanted to contain the heat inside the exhaust for the turbo, not like it needs any more help spooling, but i noticed my EGTs post-turbo were a lot higher, so i proved it works, and works well. and the obvious reason to keep engine bay temps down.

i also wrapped my downpipe since the charge pipes are only 2.5" away from it :? :?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

JokerJester
    how effective would it be to ceramic coat your headers?
    how about ballpark cost?

RollinBishiStyle
    Wrapping your headers will help keep some heat out from under the hood and it absolutly keeps the heat inside and helps scavenging that diffenitly no jive. Even though wrap might help your headers from rusting at the beach it might also caus them to rust because moisture can get trapped inside. But i say do it, i dont like the white but the black wrap is hot.

Proto
    i wraped them the best i could but they are on the car now