The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Do you put synthetic oil in your 8G?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 65

Do you put synthetic oil in your 8G?

Just read the cracking the oil myth and wondering if I should continue to put Mobil 1 into the car or go back to regular oil.

I used Mobil One, and did so for over 60,000 miles. Never had a problem and the car ran and got better gas mileage using Mobil One. Though I would recommend using the OEM Oil Filters.

PurpleHaze
    I heard your not suppose to go from synthetic back to regular, is that true?

Re: Do you put synthetic oil in your 8G?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gladiator)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just read the cracking the oil myth and wondering if I should continue to put Mobil 1 into the car or go back to regular oil.</div>

I only use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil because it temporarily gets rid of the lifter ticks; but ticks come back usually after 3k miles and thus, I do an oil change once again.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PurpleHaze)</div><div class='quotemain'>I heard your not suppose to go from synthetic back to regular, is that true?</div>

Yep, once you've used synthetic you can't go back to regular. If you want to go back then use a synthetic blend.

i've been using amsoil synthetic and i love it. my car seems to run better andmy fuel economy is a lil bit better compared to when i use other brands.

i've switched back and forth between dino oil and synthetic. no problems from my part. no oil leaks, no burning oil, no exploding engine, none of that.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

i used to use castrol synthetic but now i use mobile 1. when should i switch to high mileage im at 73xxx right now. anyone here use royal purple?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

You can switch between Dino and Synthetic w/o any problems.

Proto
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22
    i used to use castrol synthetic but now i use mobile 1. when should i switch to high mileage im at 73xxx right now. anyone here use royal purple?
    your freaking way too bad on oil.. i run castrol syn blend 5w30. works fine. you dont need any type of "high mileage" oil.. same as the regular stuff.

accutrally, High Milage Oils are thicker than the normal to "smooth" the vibrations down.

Proto
    Quote Originally Posted by solofantasy
    accutrally, High Milage Oils are thicker than the normal to "smooth" the vibrations down.
    then just get 10w30 instead.

TGC Regular
    I've used Synthetic (Castrol Syntec) since about 100K. I'm at 275K now, with no problems. I've tried Mobil 1's sythetic once, but didn't like how fast it broke down. By the way, I also went up from 5W-30 to 10W-30 or 10W-40 when I can find it. I'm thinking of switching to a 20W soon, due to the extreme mileage on the engine. Actually, I was kinda waiting on the engine to go so I could replace it with an engine with less mile. But judging from my cousins 7G engine, which had about 330K on it, i might be awhile before that happens.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solofantasy

I thought high mileage oils are half regular half synethic?

I think higher mileage oils just have different additives to break up carbon and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure your filter is whats most important. Non of the FRAM bullshit.

I ve always used a high mileage oil and stabilizer like Lucas.

Proto
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGMONEYDAY
    I've used Synthetic (Castrol Syntec) since about 100K. I'm at 275K now, with no problems. I've tried Mobil 1's sythetic once, but didn't like how fast it broke down. By the way, I also went up from 5W-30 to 10W-30 or 10W-40 when I can find it. I'm thinking of switching to a 20W soon, due to the extreme mileage on the engine. Actually, I was kinda waiting on the engine to go so I could replace it with an engine with less mile. But judging from my cousins 7G engine, which had about 330K on it, i might be awhile before that happens.
    275k? wow. my last g had 187k and no leaks at all.

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    you can get OEM filters from the dealer? i have a FRAM, i should switch it out? and plaecs online to buy ORM filters?

i ran mobil 1 ysnthetic in my old gs motor and my current 4g63t .
    10w30 as reccomended.

on the gs 2.4 dohc i ran it hard every single day redlined gears literally all day long. almost always taking 2nd to redline.
    i drove hard. all the time. like it was noothing.
    i raced in it, i did highway downshifts to 3rd gear and took ti to 6300 redline. i drove it hard.
    for about 40k miles. the previous owner used mobil one from the start.

at 183k. i swapped out motors.
    peanotation bought my old motor to rebuild.
    and all the bearings were mint. no wear to the crank at the mains, or where the rods connect.

piston rings were still shiny and sharp. compression was within 10 psi factory.
    i never burned oil except for blowby from hard driving.

only cautions i ever took were allowing the motor to get fully lubricated before i put her in gear every time it was started(about 50 seconds on a cold start, about 15 seconds on a warm start)
    then i would keep my rev below 3k for the first few miles until the oilo was up to temp and the pressure would stabilize.(oil pressures are much much higher with cold motor oil)

made a believer out of me.
    just ask matts machinist.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Wait a min, I thought FRAM filters are near oem quality?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast