The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Do you put synthetic oil in your 8G?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 65
    Selectedmarksman
    I'm a total n00b. I've learned more about cars in the past few days (since I joined these boards) than I knew in my whole life.

Does anybody happen to know what oil Mitsubishi service departments use? The only oil changes I've had done have been by the dealership, but I'd like to get more hands on. Knowing what has been used seems important.

EDIT: Oh, and it's a 2000 Galant V6 automatic with 33.5k miles.

Experienced TGC Member
    its different types.... one dealership I went to used quaker state.... another one I went to used valvoline

ive used mobil 1 fully synthetic since i got the g at 23900 miles.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(monkeyman)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive used mobil 1 fully synthetic since i got the g at 23900 miles.</div>

I'm thinking bout switching up to full synthetic once I hit 200,000 miles

Has anyone who's used synthetic extended their oil change intervals?

i've ran over 7500 miles with AMSOIL before I did an oil change.

one thing to note though if you are extending your oil change interval, your oil might last long but what about your filter? so you're somewhat limited. i mean why just change the filter after a couple thousand miles? if you remove the drain bolt while you're under there, you would have completed an oil change.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

ipaintu
    I use Mobile 1 and haven't had issues.

If your not using Synthetic oils now I heard this. If you are changing over to full Synthetic , then you have to put only 2 qts in and 2 other that you have been using. The after 2nd oil change at 3000 You hit full 4 qt.. I don't know how much water that holds, But hell 20.00 bucks is worth 20k extra miles..... or more..

I don't use oil or even have to worry about it in-between oil changes even tho i do look at it.. I change at 4000. Cost me about 50ish bucks and well worth it..... Oh I pay my buddies kid 20.00 to do it....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVERAGE)</div><div class='quotemain'>I ve always used a high mileage oil and stabilizer like Lucas.</div>Isnt that what a stabilizer is for?

I use Mobil 1 synthetic and the Lucas synthetic treatment. I was hoping to silence a slight tap in the motor, but it didn't help. But I still like having less oil changes...

What happened to you,man? Why didnt you come to the meet?

I've used Mobil1 clean 5000 ever since i got the new 64.. and I have also used fram for the oil filter. it hasnt given me any problem but i dunt want to risk it.. so i guess im switching to STP or sumthing.. but ya. Mobil1 clean 5000 has been nothing but good to my motor.. it runs smoothly and starts up smoothly. My uncle also uses it for his wifes TSX with an OEM filter and its great.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

My car has had synthetic since new. Changed my oil last time, used Mobile 1 and a dealer supplied filter. I love changing the oil on my bimmer.. the filter housing opens at the top and you pull it up, no oil mess like all my old cars where the filter hangs from the engine and you twist the whole thing off.

chiming in here..

mobil 1 synthetic 10w30
    mobil 1 filter
    2003 galant 2.4L
    73K miles

noticing lately that it is burning off quickly. i'm going to do an oil analysis and if things check out i'm going to possibly change out to royal purple or redline.
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Been using nothing but royal purple 5W30 and a NAPA gold filter(wix)
    Results of my compression test monday

Bank 1 Bank 2
    #2 190 psi #1 190 psi
    #4 190 psi #3 195 psi
    #6 190 psi #5 190 psi

So after a full year of racing thats not to bad.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    Nice!

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    all the time!!! i use the suv ones..

Quote Originally Posted by ipaintu
    I use Mobile 1 and haven't had issues.
    If your not using Synthetic oils now I heard this. If you are changing over to full Synthetic , then you have to put only 2 qts in and 2 other that you have been using. The after 2nd oil change at 3000 You hit full 4 qt.. I don't know how much water that holds, But hell 20.00 bucks is worth 20k extra miles..... or more..
    I don't use oil or even have to worry about it in-between oil changes even tho i do look at it.. I change at 4000. Cost me about 50ish bucks and well worth it..... Oh I pay my buddies kid 20.00 to do it....
    I have heard that you shouldn't mix different brands of oils, because they may have different additive packages that conflict with each other.

I also hear people say that changing from synthetic to dino will ruin your seals. I think the truth of the matter is that switching doesn't ruin anything, synthetic is just not as forgiving as dino oil across the seals, and thats the leaks people see. They were already there, but the dino just took it better.

I switched to synthetic when I put headers/catback on my car (I noticed no difference and switched back). I have been seeing some white whispy smoke at idle, but not when revving really. It gets worse the colder it gets. I think it has to do with water vapor and a lot higher exhaust temps. Don't know, but it def. is worse than it was before.

Anyway I think synthetic oil is way overrated. Unless you are beating your car like a red headed step child, you won't hit the temps where dino oil breaks down and synthetic doesn't. Or you have extended your oil change beyond the recommended OEM interval for your area, your pissing into the wind. Just my 02.

Mobile 1 10w30 Full Synthetic (never changed type of oil)
    OEM Filters (Straight from the Dealer)
    01 es 2.4L
    126,000 miles
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    ipaintu is back!!! wassup buddy?? long time!!

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    ipaintu is back!!! wassup buddy?? long time!!
    he's back. posting in june on this thread.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast