The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Boost Questions

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Boost Questions

Ok so I know you can run 6-8 psi safely on stock internals. Now here is my question, does the type of turbo make a difference? I mean a 16g is more efficient turbo and moves more air at 6 psi than say a 14b right? Now would this cause a problem? So If I got a 16g (big) and ran like 6.5 psi would that be tha same as (or close to) running 7-8 on a 14b? Any help is appreciated. Thanx

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

nah if you ran a 16g at the same psi it would make more power cause it flows more air.
    however with the larger compressor wheel it will take slightly longer to spool up(not much longer cause its the same turbine wheels) since you are flowing more air. you are going top be able to flow that 8 psi closer to or all the way to the redline.
    its definatly a good thing,
    and isn't any more dangerous so long as you have the fuel to match the airflow.

brandon aka underated or 4g64t, is running an 18g on a stock motor.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Ok so if I set it at say 7 psi, I would still be in the "safe zone" for the stock engine...even though it is getting a lot more air? As you say...as long as the fuel map is good. Out of curiosity, what hp you think this will get. I know my chance are better if I swap to a 5 speed, but that will have to be later. My goal is real modest...200 or so at the wheels...possible?

16g @ 7psi
    Stock internals
    190lph pump (eventually)
    450cc injectors
    FMIC
    2.75" full exhaust

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    like i told you at the meet, 200whp is gonna be tricky with that auto tranny. also, you're going to want to run pig rich since we don't have any timing control, when the motor knocks....it's gonna knock...and the ecu won't change a thing
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

peano - how much gain do you think he would see with the above setup, running on a stock engine? Might have to do something like this if its worth it. Or would you say just go with a modest nitrous setup?
    Would be running on an auto 8g...

Galant98ES
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    like i told you at the meet, 200whp is gonna be tricky with that auto tranny. also, you're going to want to run pig rich since we don't have any timing control, when the motor knocks....it's gonna knock...and the ecu won't change a thing
    There's a company that makes the knock control device. I haven't tried it yet, but was talking to the guy from 4g64 group and he uses one and he said it's a great thing to have on custom turbo engines.

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/MarineRacing.html

my setup goes like this

18g (8-10psi)
    450cc injectors
    safc2 now emanage blue/gold
    still running very rich

i also have a custom methanol setup but that was only installed recently ive been turbo'd for almost 2 years now.

IF TUNED RIGHT a turbo setup with a 16g can run 10psi easy and still be safe as long as you have the supporting mods
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by underated
    my setup goes like this

18g (8-10psi)
    450cc injectors
    safc2 now emanage blue/gold
    still running very rich

i also have a custom methanol setup but that was only installed recently ive been turbo'd for almost 2 years now.

IF TUNED RIGHT a turbo setup with a 16g can run 10psi easy and still be safe as long as you have the supporting mods
    Brandon - thanks for the info. What did that setup run you? And what kind of gains did you see?

Appreciate your help!
    Nick

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant98ES
    There's a company that makes the knock control device. I haven't tried it yet, but was talking to the guy from 4g64 group and he uses one and he said it's a great thing to have on custom turbo engines.

i've heard/read about this too, very very good for guys like us. practically a neccesity in my mind.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Going with a larger turbo with the same amount of boost will not hurt the motor. A bigger turbo will have better effeciency and better airflow at higher RPM's. Smaller turbos won't hold boost at higher RPMs compared to a bigger turbo. As you generate better airflow throughout the RPM's you'll have to make sure you got enough fuel to accomodate the higher airflow. Now...since the 4G64's (except the DOHC ones ) don't have knock sensors. Now the solution to this is adding something like what Galant98ES posted about that knock device to retard timing when knock happens or install a wideband installed and have a really good tune. I am not sure if the 4g64 Galant ECU's do any type of timing retard at all...but lets just assume it doesn't.

Either or..you just need a good tune wether you are running too lean or running too rich. Because:

-Lean knock=detonation which isn't good
    -Rich knock=It retards timing still and eventually not good for the motor

Honestly the setup most of us SOHC 4G64 guys are running is pretty good...with the good support mods and a good flowing turbo at around 10 psi will get our Galants moving. Plus 250+whp on a FWD on a street will just give you traction problems and your best chances for good races on the street will be 30mph rolling starts IMO. Off the dig...its just not High HP FWD favor unless you got slicks, and a really good launch technique.

I have been debating on installing this on the 96 Galant recently. Its a "Knock Light" here is more info http://turboxs.com/more_info.php?ID=212

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Galant98ES
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant98ES

i've heard/read about this too, very very good for guys like us. practically a neccesity in my mind.
    Yup, already on my list of parts to get

I guess another way, and probably more expensive, would be to put a 2g ECU and install the knock sensor.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You can get a 2g ECU for $150, but then you have to switch to a DOHC and Coil pack system.
    7g for life!

at 7.5 psi with a small 16g, front mount, tubular headers, fmu, external fuel pump, and no tuning i made 164 whp and 210wtq. now im runing at 10 to 12 psi. in better terms at 10 to 12 psi i i beat a mustag gt 96 covt. with exhaust, intake standerd and niturous by one car.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostedgalant56
    at 7.5 psi with a small 16g, front mount, tubular headers, fmu, external fuel pump, and no tuning i made 164 whp and 210wtq. now im runing at 10 to 12 psi. in better terms at 10 to 12 psi i i beat a mustag gt 96 covt. with exhaust, intake standerd and niturous by one car.
    hows your setup holding up i havent talked to you in awhile your running the emanage still right? sounds like your doing well
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

i havent installed the e-mange yet my car has been in the shop b/c i was puting on my body kit.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I think meth injection would help alot on a stock motor setup. If you run Meth, you can run your fuel map closer to stoich and stay away from running crazy rich, just map it out regular in the lower RPMs and have the meth injection rate increase as your boost rises. Im not sure what kinda meth kit you have Underated, the one I got has a controller with an internal MAP sensor, and you can set it up so as the boost rises, the level of meth injection rises as well, kinda like a FPR but its not 1:1 ratio. Meth is great because not only is it high in octane, but it acts to cool the air as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS