The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sluggish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34

sluggish

I recently (well a month or two ago) spruced up my 7G with NGK plug wires, Bosch +2 plugs, oil change with mobil 5-30 oil and added an STP additive, new Fram air filter, the PCV valve is also new.

The car lately has seemed sluggish and has very low gas milage. The car doesn't run rough and doesn't have any misfires.

I have no clue where to start to find the problem. Any suggestions? And yeah, I plan to put in some NGK plugs soon, just plain coppers I assume since I have no mods on my car.

even if you had mods run the stock ngk's nothing else(or the oe style denso's)
    i'm running a 450 hp capable turbo on my 4g63, and i run stock plugs.
    just a heat range colder for me and a tighter gap

replace cap and rotor?
    How about your o2 sensors?
    have any exhaust leaks? i'll bet you do here or there.
    how about intake leaks?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Hmmmm.. I seem to have the SAME problem.. And it sounds like my intake manifold leaks from around the TB because its LOUD when i rev it up in that area. Ill have to check into it

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Maybe a good top engine clean will do you good which is usually offered at the dealer. I got the tool from my dealership and the cleaner kit and did the cleaner on all 3 Galants the there is a definite improvement. Basically its a throttle body clean, fuel system additive (A bit more concentrated), and a direct injection of the cleaner into the intake runners into the combustion chamber that suppose to rid most of the carbon buildup.

I would also make sure there isn't any leaks in the intake side and exhaust side. Check your O2 sensors and make sure they are doing their job correctly. Whens the last time you service your transmission either a drain and fill or a full flush?

Just for the heck of it...reset the ECU and TCU by disconnecting the battery for at least 10 mins and reconnect and see if that makes any difference.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Damn I have the same problem too just after doing my oil change and tune up. WTF
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

I plan on having some exhaust work done in the coming month or so, maybe I'll move it sooner just to have it looked at while they're under there.

How do I check for leaks on the intake side of things? All I can think of is tighten everything down before the throttle body and make sure the filter housing is clamped properly.

I recently topped off my tranny fluid with ATF+3 which was recommended in autozone's database. I checked and filled in netrual.

Haven't checked my O2 sensors, Could I just see if they are throwing any codes at the local autozone?

What about the cat? I have been having the sulfur/rotten egg smell that I think is the cat going out/burning up.

if you are throwing a code, the check engine light will tell you. it will light up. when it lights up, take it to autozone or wherever and get the code read. but if you don't have the light, then you probably not throwing a code

autozone's database is wrong. for the 7g, just like the 8g and 9g, you should be using mitsu fluid or at least ones that confirm to their standards. atf3+ probably doesn't

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

cats don't go bad o their own.
    they die for one reason or another.
    in your case its most likely your o2 sensors.
    your ecu doesn't have to throw a code for your o2's to be bad.
    if the heater circuit goes bad then you'll get a code.
    but if the element is failing or just plain old, it will give slow and inacurate signals to the ecu, and your mileage, and power will suffer.

if your cat is failing then the substrate can at times collapse. this will cause a horrible obstruction of exhaust flow.
    cats can also get clogged.

if your o2's are old, i'd replace them. its just one of thoose things you replace in time. not just when they fail.

my old o2 was functioning fine(or so i thought) when i replaced it with a brand new one, my a/f gauge cycled much much faster, and the o2 warmed up faster as well.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    i think i may have to do some research, my gas mileage doesnt seem to be where it should be.. 5.5 gallons of gas should last longer than 4 days when driving 2 miles a day max

Experienced TGC Member
    HAHAHAH dude.. As soon as u find the problem PLEASE let me know... because my gas mileage is so shitty i could actually get better gas mileage in a fuckin big V8 motor.........

I guess I should scrape up some money then. Where are the O2 sensors and how many are there? Just two I assume. Then I have to replace the cat if needed. I have seen universal cats before, could I just have one of those installed? I will also call my local Mitsu dealer and check out about their tranny fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by ohgrfreak
    I guess I should scrape up some money then. Where are the O2 sensors and how many are there? Just two I assume. Then I have to replace the cat if needed. I have seen universal cats before, could I just have one of those installed? I will also call my local Mitsu dealer and check out about their tranny fluid.
    -You have 2 O2 sensors on your 7g. 1st one is near the header and the 2nd one is before the Catylitic converter.

-Its not that often Catylitic converters go bad but if it is then a universal one will work. Just make sure the inlet and outlet match the size piping.

-Check your A/T dipstick. If the fluid has a nice red color then you should be fine. Now if its dark or a darkish red then you will most likely have to flush the system. If you want to get a quart of ATF and compare the color to help you determine if the ATF in the car now has to be changed.

Did you try to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and TCU?

haven't disconnected the battery yet. The tranny fluid is proper color.

Quote Originally Posted by ohgrfreak
    haven't disconnected the battery yet. The tranny fluid is proper color.
    If tranny fluid is proper color then you should be fine. Unless you are getting weired tranny operation then I would address that concern...otherwise you are ok. How many miles on the tranny anyways? If you have over 50,000 miles and havn't done a tranny flush I strongly suggest you do.

I would try to reset the ECU and TCU by disconnecting the battery for at least 10 mins. All you are doing by resetting is having the computers relearn everything to what the cars current condition.

the color of the tranny oil doesn't matter since you added the wrong fluid in the first place.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

you really only need to replace the front o2 sensor, cause thats where the a/f ratio is derived from.
    so its the one thats going to effect your mileage and power.

the rear o2 is basically for checking that your cat is operating efficiently.

cats do not often fail. usually they last the life of the car. except when damaged due to overrich conditions causeing the cat to overheat.
    and a couple of other instances like leaded race fuel.

jack your car up on stands and listen all the way up and down the exhaust(while te engine is idleing) for exhaust leaks. the smallest pinhole leaks will cause you to lose power. especially in the low end.
    also check the gaskets for your manfiold and downpipe and listen for leaks.

again. check every hose and look for cracks or possible places where you could lose vacuum at idle. intake leaks will cause you to run overly rich as well, and drain your power.

you can go to sparkplugs.com for your o2 sensor. they are very very cheap, and you will get the clubtgc discount.

did you replace your cap and rotor yet? its about 15-20 bucks at autozone isn't it? i know they are dirty cheap.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    the color of the tranny oil doesn't matter since you added the wrong fluid in the first place.
    ohgrfreak...you did fill the tranny with Dextron 2 or 3 ATF right?

I'll have the shop check for leaks while I'm getting the O2 sensor installed anyway, I'll have them check the cat, or if it's cheap enough, I'll get a new cat just in case anyways. It never hurts to have new parts installed.

ATF +3 tranny fluid.
    The tranny is acting fine, with smooth light red fluid, and smooth shifts for the most part, but I'll invest in a full flush and fill at the Mitsu dealer when I have the extra cash next month.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i have about 6 sets of up and downstream O2 sensors for the 7G, you know what to do if you need em.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

PM sent.

So, what's next on my list? Oh, in what order do I replace the O2 and cat. If I am low on cash, I can only get one item per payday. I don't want to replace the cat first and have the bad O2 kill the new cat. If I replace the sensor first, that would be alright then?

I'm almost sure that the cat is dying because that smell comes on strong and it's always there. Also under hard acceleration and passing the smell gets stronger. It will be replaced even if the O2 sensor fixes the gas milage/sluggish problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast