The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sluggish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 34 of 34
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    We need to get together and check your G out. I'm not sure what you mean by bad sulfer smell. i have 175k on my g and no sulfer smell ever.

We've been talking about meeting for a while anyway and maybe we can save you some money. PM me about when you have time.

Also i know a guy about 107th and Blue Ridge that could probably do your cat cheaper than a dealer. he did my "cat back" exhaust.

I know this has been said, but I'll throw in my $0.02

Bosch Platinum + plugs WILL cause engine problems in any car not made in Wolfsburg. I dunno why, but every time we put a set of them in at work there is some sort of engine problem. Problems range from loss of power, to rough idle, to major misfire and check engine lamp to come on. SO...don't use them. Get some cheap NGK copper plugs. They're like $2.00 each and you can easily change them, so platinum plugs are really unnecessary.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

How about comparable denso plugs? I can't find any NGK V-power plugs in stock anywhere near me.

And I live in West Des Moines/Waukee Iowa now by the way.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Oooooh West DesMoines. I used to live in Ames a few years back

The first o2 sensor is the main sensor, the rear is used for emissions crap and wont affect anything ecept a CEL.
    7g for life!

So I'm planning to switch out the O2 sensor maybe on tuesday or wednesday. It's between the header and the cat, closer to the header, is that right? Is there a heat shield in the way that I need to remove to see the sensor? And I can probably rent a O2 socket from my local parts store I assume. Anything else I need to change this puppy out?

Also, I thought I posted this once, but my autozone only has Denso plugs in stock, should I order NGK's or are comparable Denso's good enough.

your owners manual says denso's are oem replacement(ngk or denso)

if you want to get the NGK's look for an advance, or a chain that carries them.

a o2 socket is all you need.
    maybe a litle penetrant for getting the old one out...

i still say you need to replace your cap and rotor as well while you are going to be wenching on your ride this time anyways.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

finally found some v-powers at o'reilys, installing them tomorrow.

i'll try to see what the total comes to if i order the sensor, cap, and rotor together. i may be able to swing it all.

What's the proper gap for the plugs? The guy behind the counter said that the NGK V-powers were pre-gapped because they are OEM, but then again, the database said that the gap was .044 or .44 whatever (which was not what they came gapped as). So I gapped them to that spec there. Just wanted to double check before I put them in.

Thanks for all the help

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohgrfreak)</div><div class='quotemain'>What's the proper gap for the plugs? Â*The guy behind the counter said that the NGK V-powers were pre-gapped because they are OEM, but then again, the database said that the gap was .044 or .44 whatever (which was not what they came gapped as). Â*So I gapped them to that spec there. Â*Just wanted to double check before I put them in. Â*

Thanks for all the help</div>

look under your hood at your vehicle catalyst. the square white tag w/ the vacuum diagram on it.
    it will tell you the base ignition timing, and your spark plug gap.

make sure you run the correct gap. it will effect your mileage and power if you do not.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Proto
    when i bought my v-powers the gap was off just a tiny bit but nothing to effect anything so you should be fine. just double check it.

i called my mitsubishi dealer, they said between .039 and .043, so i gapped them around .041

i disconeccted the battery again while replacing the plugs and when i got it all together, the car would barely move, it stayed under 2300 rpm and wouldn't shift out of 1st. i had to beat on it on the highway to get it to start running properly. once i did that, it started running better, but not better than before. i also got a speeding ticket in the process, damnit.

So not only do I have to pay for the ticket, i have to get all the parts, which the rotor, cap and sensor total around 80 bucks.

I'm getting a generic oem muffler next week (the magnaflow is too loud), and i'll have the guys check for exhaust leaks while they are down there.

Now my gas milage seems to have gotten better by itself, and i wondered what the proper way to calculate the milage is.

I filled up to a full tank of gas and reset the trip odometer and i want to calculate it at half tank, but i don't know how much gas a half tank is.

I heard that on the empty level the 7G's use 12-13 gallons, but in all reality the tanks hold 17-18 gallons, and that's quite a difference.

(off topic: if anyone in the central iowa area wants a two year old magnaflow SS series dual tip muffler, i'll sell it dirt cheap)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohgrfreak)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm getting a generic oem muffler next week (the magnaflow is too loud), and i'll have the guys check for exhaust leaks while they are down there. Â*

Now my gas milage seems to have gotten better by itself, and i wondered what the proper way to calculate the milage is. Â*

I filled up to a full tank of gas and reset the trip odometer and i want to calculate it at half tank, but i don't know how much gas a half tank is. Â*

I heard that on the empty level the 7G's use 12-13 gallons, but in all reality the tanks hold 17-18 gallons, and that's quite a difference.

(off topic: if anyone in the central iowa area wants a two year old magnaflow SS series dual tip muffler, i'll sell it dirt cheap)</div>

The only way to accurately calculate is to fill it all the way up, and use the amount the pump gives you that you just put in. Divide you mileage by that amount.

7G has a 16.5 gallon tank, but I've never used more than 14 gallons. At that point, the needle was touching "E" and the low fuel light was on steadily regardless of how the car was sitting (uphill/downhill, etc.). I wouldn't suggest going lower than that, and only that low when totally necessary, since the fuel pump is mounted downward from the back seat into the top of the tank.

<span style="color:#000000">1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Premium</span>

The new muffler is installed with a stainless magnaflow tip. They checked for leaks and he said that my piping is in great condition.

The new muffler, I don't know what brand it is, sounds nice and throaty without being too loud, it's just supposed to be an OEM type, but it sounds like an ApexI WS. Stock quiet at ilde with a little grrr to it, then open to WOT and hear the thing really growl.

My gas milage by the way varies between 300-400 miles per tank. Which I guess is not really that bad.

Check out my cardomain link for pics of the tip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12