The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: K&N Filter

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    3pol6

K&N Filter

Is there a difference between a drop-in and open-type filter? If so how much? Performance-wise. What would you recommend and why.

Thanks for reading.

hmm im wondering whos going to be mean .

my bad

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

3pol6
    For your info im also searching about this and there are tons of results here. Would like to know based from experience those who have these type of filters.

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    hey guys relax..... ok? well to answer your question 3pol6.....a drop in filter is used with the stock air intake...... you know, that ugly old big box.... an open end filter is what you use in a aftermarket intake..... well at least this is what i think... lol.... one of the older guys will be by to answer your question in a few. anyways welcome to the site man...... 8)
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

3pol6
    No prob.We cant avoid those types of people. I may have the answer i needed. Don't bother reading this or posting here. Removing galantcenter from my fav.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Those cheap aftermarket filters are ok but need to be changed on the regular, dont allow as much airflow like a K&N and are not reuseable.

K&N filters catch dirt like a venus fly trap.
    Can be washed and reused
    Are woth the money in the longrun.

EASY MATH constantly buying filters<washing and reuseing one great filter.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

K&N drop in filter is much better than the stock filter in terms of value over time and has very minimal performance results of any. The open air such as short ram or cold air intakes do offer a bit more in performance, but nothing extraordinary other than the sound at wide open throttle. There are some minimal performance gains since you are using a less restrictive air flow system. Hope that helps. And if you need a K&N drop in, I have a used one. PM me.

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(3pol6)</div><div class='quotemain'>No prob.We cant avoid those types of people. I may have the answer i needed. Don't *bother reading this or posting here. Removing galantcenter from my fav.</div>

bye,
    Yall scared him away

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    so was he from P.I.?? if so...he spelled "manila" wrong

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(o1naturalhigh)</div><div class='quotemain'>so was he from P.I.?? *if so...he spelled "manila" wrong</div>

FYI...maynila is how it was pronounced by elders and as it was called before in spanish times.

Dont go with K&N at all! :!:

first, unless you are pushing your G to the redline, maybe only 1 or 2 horses can be added. ( you wont feel it)

second, K&N open filters does give you a good sound. (you will abuse your engin just to hear that sound)

third, K&N has oil leak, and horriable filtration. (high risk of getting MAF messed up)

in fact, oil gauze type is the worst type of filter for a car (family use wise)

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solofantasy

first, unless you are pushing your G to the redline, maybe only 1 or 2 horses can be added. ( you wont feel it)

second, K&N open filters does give you a good sound. (you will abuse your engin just to hear that sound)

third, K&N has oil leak, and horriable filtration. (high risk of getting MAF messed up)

uhhhhhhh....what? :?:

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by solofantasy

someone explain to him what K&N is all about......

If you OVER-OIL your K&N Filter, or any other oil filtered one, you will dirty up the MAFS...but it will dirty up no matter what over a long period of time.
    2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS - 3.8L V6 - "The G" - 14.62 @ 95.52

”Sticks impress high-school kids, autos win races” – Unknown

Anyone know the part number for the panel K&N filter? The K&N website lists the galant and galant iv and it confused me.

Just go with a AMSOIL filter. They are washable. Injen are using their filters. I believe K&N are not washables they need some type of oil.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Yes K&N are washable I just washed mine this morning :)

yea im thinking about re doing my intake and using an open air filter so any other suggestions for filters that will improve performance

For those who don't know, are lazy, etc.

The part no. for K&N for us is 33-2072.