The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Might be running into a small amount of money soon..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 63
    Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    running a turbo without intercooler or water injection? that's like smoking a cigarette while
    Best quote on TGC!

And I totally agree with everything else. I started off my 1 year long project on a budget. Since then costs have literally balloned out of control with no end in sight. Its worst than taking a credit card to a strip club where they serve alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrs2
    Being young its hard to save money, but it is always good to have some laying around incase the shit hits the fan. I'd say save most of it.

galant_got_speed
    Well then...5 speed swap it is.

Two Problems.

1) the junkyards in my area suck ass. so parts r hard to come by.
    2) How the hell am i gunnna do it myself? im mechanically stupid.

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galant_got_speed

Two Problems.

search, search, and search man....... look for parts online. i know there are some junkyards that sell stuff online. i bought some fuel injectors that way last year. as for doing it yourself, read my first sentence.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24

Two Problems.

search, search, and search man....... look for parts online. i know there are some junkyards that sell stuff online. i bought some fuel injectors that way last year. as for doing it yourself, read my first sentence.
    well ive got a list of parts...im thinking of just printing it off and going to a junkyard and seeing what they can get for me off the list..my plan is to stay under 1500...that seems pretty doable i think?

Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24

Two Problems.

well ive got a list of parts...im thinking of just printing it off and going to a junkyard and seeing what they can get for me off the list..my plan is to stay under 1500...that seems pretty doable i think?
    thats a good start. i think $1500 should cover parts and thats it. talk to some of the guys here that did the swap already. i know there is a few things you should buy new and not used.....

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Ok first off...it seems you final goal is to have a nice daily driven car...right? If you know what your goal is...then plan around it. No use spending $$$$ on things you don't want or need to help you meet your goal. Trust me...once you're definite about your goal, everything else should be easy.

Fortunately...your goal is a smart and attainable goal with the projected extra funds you'll be recieving. $1000..can go far if you shop and spend right. Before you initiate the 5speed hype...you got to ask these questions yourself:

1. Do you know how to drive a 5 speed?
    2. Do you want to own and drive a M/T? (If you daily commute involved alot of stop and go traffic, be prepared to use your left foot ALOT)

Some of us on this board have never done some things before to our cars and pretty much jumped into big projects depending on the knowledge they got from here and optimism of finishing the project. Of course it helps when you have someone there that knows something, but when its harder when you tackle something by yourself. Now...if you are not confident or have to access of time and tools of doing a project like a 5 speed swap then I suggest not to embark into that project, because you don't want to start on something and give up in the middle, then you are more screwed. Now if you really want to do a M/T swap, and you are thinking of someone else doing the work for you...you'll end up spending more $$$ for them to install it.

Now for someone that just wants a nice daily driver that fun to drive I would just get some lowering springs (At most $150), new shocks and struts (around $300), strut bar and rear sway bar (maybe $150 for both) and some wheels..either brand new or find some used locally and you can get them even cheaper, and whatever's left do whatever else you want. If you have anything that needs to be fixed or maybe some maintanance work to the car I would suggest to do that first, so at least you know your car will be running w/o no issues in the long run.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

galant_got_speed
    ive never driven 5 speed in my life. but i hear its fun and i like the sound of being able to spin your tires. my city really isnt a lot of stop and go. i mostly drive highway to the places i wanna go.

your right though in the part i dont have the tools and other stuff needed to do the swap. so id need someone else to do it for me...or help me..a lot.

I dont see the fun factor in lowering springs and wheels though...im so indecisive about what i want to do with the G its ridiculous...one day i have the need for speed and the other i just wanna lay back and relax..im sure a lot of you feel that way.

do you know anyone that has a m/t, if so ask them to teach you drive it. Trust me your left leg is going to hurt the firt few times driving, not to mention your neck will also. driving a m/t in the snow is rough and if you live near any big hills practice there first. If you can keep the car still with just clutch control, you will not have any issues.

just shop around and get the things that you want, don't go over board on the ricer accessories.

"If Wal-Mart is lowering prices everyday, how come nothing is free yet"

ive never driven 5 speed in my life. but i hear its fun and i like the sound of being able to spin your tires. my city really isnt a lot of stop and go. i mostly drive highway to the places i wanna go.

your right though in the part i dont have the tools and other stuff needed to do the swap. so id need someone else to do it for me...or help me..a lot.

I dont see the fun factor in lowering springs and wheels though...im so indecisive about what i want to do with the G its ridiculous...one day i have the need for speed and the other i just wanna lay back and relax..im sure a lot of you feel that way.

man guy it sounds like your all over the place. i say save the cash and think about what you want. like 4-G-RIM said.....
    Now for someone that just wants a nice daily driver that fun to drive I would just get some lowering springs (At most $150), new shocks and struts (around $300), strut bar and rear sway bar (maybe $150 for both) and some wheels..either brand new or find some used locally and you can get them even cheaper, and whatever's left do whatever else you want. If you have anything that needs to be fixed or maybe some maintanance work to the car I would suggest to do that first, so at least you know your car will be running w/o no issues in the long run.
    do that. then if you still interested in your expensive hobby(aka your car) take it to the next level and do the swap.... all ive dont to my 8G is suspension and brakes. my car handles great and its lots of fun to drive but now once i finish my suspension, im going to take it to the next level..... 5speed swap, brake conv., NOS, or even maybe a turbo. you have to know what you want.

galant_got_speed
    say i did the 5 speed tranny swap (im a speed demon hence the name lol)

i hear id have to take it easy on mitsu trannies cuz they dont take harsh shifting well?

so basically if i was in a race i couldnt do this...

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/s2000/...78EB11BE5B8.htm

say i did the 5 speed tranny swap (im a speed demon hence the name lol)

i hear id have to take it easy on mitsu trannies cuz they dont take harsh shifting well?

so basically if i was in a race i couldnt do this...

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...8EB11BE5B8.htm
    if you want to do that, sell your car and buy and s2k........

galant_got_speed
    the more and more i look at my options..and what i want to do...itd almost be more worth it to trade the car in and get something else...i love Audi A4's but the service costs on those things are RIDICULOUS...i love this site and the people and i dont wanna be a sellout but a lot of you have good jobs and can afford this modding stuff...see where im coming from? in a few years ill prob want to sell the G...might as well get something now for like 10k where i can pay like 250-300 a month and have it decently quick and nice. i dunno what im sayin guys im just all mixed up and needed to vent somewhere.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Here is the thing about Mitsu M/T. The gears are solid and strong...the weakness is the syncros.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

the thing about mitsu trannies is that you ahve to rev match every gear. and not force the gear in when the synchros lock you out. usually if they are locking you out, then you are doing something wrong.

i do have trouble shifting at all above 6500 rpms. my redline is at 7500, i never take it that high if i'm in a race, it raises ther chance that i'll get locked out of a gear and i'll lose the match

but i've dumped enough money into the engine, that i am rarely required to take it that high at all, that and i can't ever find a decent race.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

galant_got_speed
    Well this just sucks...the kid i was gunna try and turbo my car to smoke is getting rid of his Chevy Beretta....the kid does nothing but badmouth mitsubishi and can you guys guess what hes getting...

1987 Chrysler Conquest TSI....

not only am i SCREWED now i dont think i could build the G to even MATCH that...ugghhh all my plans out the window. Time to make the outside look nice

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well this just sucks...the kid i was gunna try and turbo my car to smoke is getting rid of his Chevy Beretta....the kid does nothing but badmouth mitsubishi and can you guys guess what hes getting...

not only am i SCREWED now i dont think i could build the G to even MATCH that...ugghhh all my plans out the window. Time to make the outside look nice Â*:(</div>

What!?!?!?

Dont base what you want to do to your car off what someone else does. Do what <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>you </span>want

Edit: They can be beat

galant_got_speed
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gravy)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well this just sucks...the kid i was gunna try and turbo my car to smoke is getting rid of his Chevy Beretta....the kid does nothing but badmouth mitsubishi and can you guys guess what hes getting...

not only am i SCREWED now i dont think i could build the G to even MATCH that...ugghhh all my plans out the window. Time to make the outside look nice Â*:(</div>

What!?!?!?

Dont base what you want to do to your car off what someone else does. Do what <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>you </span>want

Edit: They can be beat </div>

my plan was to always make it fast and keep the outside stock..i live in new hampshire its hard to keep things looking nice. Plus im a speed demon so turbo is the way to go for me...ill re-evaluate after my graduation parties to see where im at with money...if ive got around 4 g's im gunna turbo...

learn to drive stick first haha have fun 8)
    R.I.P. My fellow Galant owner. May God be with you and your family.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive never driven 5 speed in my life. but i hear its fun and i like the sound of being able to spin your tires. my city really isnt a lot of stop and go. i mostly drive highway to the places i wanna go.

I dont see the fun factor in lowering springs and wheels though...im so indecisive about what i want to do with the G its ridiculous...one day i have the need for speed and the other i just wanna lay back and relax..im sure a lot of you feel that way.</div>

go and get a buddy to let you drive there m/t its not THAT easy at first but after 20 minutes you get the hang of it, one reason im looking for a cheap beater so i get used to it more.

and if you dont see the fun factor in lowering springs and wheels then you havent driven that hard, with my minor mods i can tell a huge difference when i go into corner, i dont even have lowering springs and i dont feel that much body roll but i do have 17" wheels with low profile tires, i have a 14" wheel as my spare for now and i can feel how soft that side is and how much i have to compensate for that side. I would do the suspension mods and then you'll see how much harder and faster you can take turns and twisties.
    Signature wanted call: 1800-Darkkend

<a>Take Better Photoshots Tips from the Pro's</a>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast