The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Might be running into a small amount of money soon..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 63
    Experienced TGC Member
    First off if your car is paid for? Because wouldnt suggest being married to a car payment. If you got a car payment for like 300 a month plus insurance and with the gas prices so fucking high its unreal your better off keeping the Galant and just doing whatever to it that you want little by little because miracles dont happen over night. Not everyone has 10 grand laying around to just blow away on their car just so they can race it or have high HP. Trust me its a wise decision. Ive had so many people tell me "why dont you get another car since yours always breaks" and i tell them a logical answer "Because my shit is paid for. I can let it rot in my fuckin yard and not have to worry about the repo man. Last but not least yea i could go out and buy a newer car but who says that car isnt going to have worse problems?" Thats just something for you to think about. It makes no since to trade your galant in and slap more money down on a down payment for a newer car. You could take the down payment and do w/e you want/need to do to your galant and you wont be married to a payment. Thats just my opinion. So good luck to you with whatever you decide.

galant_got_speed
    i could always go back to my original plan with the turbo and take it to the speed shop near me in Portland, Maine. They said they would do everything for 5000 out the door tuned and everything..and the guy said he would warranty their work. He said everything is done with the best parts and that the only way something would break is if i messed with it or jesus was fucking with me.

Experienced TGC Member
    Don't worry about the '87 TSi. He'll probably end up spending much more money on making it run, let alone making it run fast. Its a 20 year old car.

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    Don't worry about the '87 TSi. He'll probably end up spending much more money on making it run, let alone making it run fast. Its a 20 year old car.
    yah but what if it DOES run and its in good condition...lol

whatever tho, i dont even talk to the kid nemore so it doesnt matter to me..im shifting my focus to fixing some things on my car first.

I need new inner tie rods (guy at meineke told me) and i need my tranny flushed, supposedly my fluid is black...he said other than that and maybe some wiper blades my car is in great condition..tie rods r gunna set me back what like 300 bucks??

Experienced TGC Member
    DO NOT TRUST MEINIKE.. I took my Neon to them like 2 years ago to have my brakes checked. They had a special for 29.99 on brakes. They put it up on the jack and looked at my brakes and they tell me the pads are 3/4 the way worn and my back brakes need to be tightened and they were gonna charge me 300 and some change. So i asked the dude whats up with the 29.99 special and he told me "you cant even get brake pads for that much" so i said fuck u gimme my shit back. A week later i go and buy new brake pads and i get my brother to install them. As soon as he took the old brake pads off we looked at them and they were thicker than the new ones were. So id suggest for you not to take your car to them or you will get shitted.

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19
    DO NOT TRUST MEINIKE.. I took my Neon to them like 2 years ago to have my brakes checked. They had a special for 29.99 on brakes. They put it up on the jack and looked at my brakes and they tell me the pads are 3/4 the way worn and my back brakes need to be tightened and they were gonna charge me 300 and some change. So i asked the dude whats up with the 29.99 special and he told me "you cant even get brake pads for that much" so i said fuck u gimme my shit back. A week later i go and buy new brake pads and i get my brother to install them. As soon as he took the old brake pads off we looked at them and they were thicker than the new ones were. So id suggest for you not to take your car to them or you will get shitted.
    dude 29.99? im sorry but not even my grandmother would believe 29.99 for brakes...you know somethin is screwy there...i prob do need inner tie rods..car has 88k on it...plus that was the only thing they told me was wrong...they coulda told me a SHITLOAD of other stuff but i have a feeling they were being pretty honest.

Experienced TGC Member
    LOL.. Dude you are aware that brake pads only cost like 14 bucks right???? And there is a such thing as false advertisement. So why not believe a "legitimate" company when they tell you shit. BTW id get a 2nd opinion but thats me.

galant_got_speed
    LOL.. Dude you are aware that brake pads only cost like 14 bucks right???? And there is a such thing as false advertisement. So why not believe a "legitimate" company when they tell you shit. BTW id get a 2nd opinion but thats me.
    well theres a difference between replacing pads and a whole brake system...it wasnt really clear..yah im gunna get a 2nd opinion at my personal mechanic, family has been going to him for years and hes never jipped us...sears tried charging me 600 for brakes when i had my old accord and i went to him and he did them for 125..AND replaced a cracked axle...ridiculous what an honest mechanic can do

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galant_got_speed
    well theres a difference between replacing pads and a whole brake system...it wasnt really clear..yah im gunna get a 2nd opinion at my personal mechanic, family has been going to him for years and hes never jipped us...sears tried charging me 600 for brakes when i had my old accord and i went to him and he did them for 125..AND replaced a cracked axle...ridiculous what an honest mechanic can do

guys, take 15 minutes of your busy day and change your own brakes.... its that simple... as for the tie rod, it never hurts to get a second opinion so that good that you went to another mechanic.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

galant_got_speed
    how do these look guys?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

thats all i need to drop it right? i also wanna get a sway bar i think...i read somewhere i could get one for 107 shipped from summitt racing. dont no how valid that is...thanks for your opinions and comments.

For 1k, you can't get much of the major stuff. A bodykit is out of the question. Cost at least that to paint and fit. Rims and tires...probably not very good ones. Best case scenario, you're lookin at springs and some KYB's. Possibly a Tein basic damper setup which I have and love. You could do a Katzkin interior which I also have and love. Two of my favorite upgrades on the car honestly. Not sure what all you have so tough to say. Have fun with it whatever you choose.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

galant_got_speed
    when u talk about KYB's is that Shocks and Struts??

Quote Originally Posted by galant_got_speed
    when u talk about KYB's is that Shocks and Struts??
    yes and you can get spring from ebay for around 100-150

Things that make you go HUMMMMM!

Quick question or questions.

Before you run to get the parts be honest
    What's the milage on your G. (basic maintenance)
    What have you done to have it in great or good conditions to accept these new and heavy duty modification (turbo / tranny) (cause you're gona want to start all this stuff on a good platform).
    If someone whished to take your G on a joy ride what would stop them?(alarm)
    If you get the tranny and the turbo how well will your Gs brakes stop your new found speed and strength. (brakes)
    And will you curve right out of the road with a near factory suspension? (strut bar, sway bars, springs, struts etc.)
    Minor Example: The tranny shifts well but because your timing belt broke its only shifts in your driveway.) These are things that make you go HUMMM!!
    No black cloud here,
    Just looking out for a member so that you wont end up cursing and hating the project and worst of all, selling and leaving TGC.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

galant_got_speed

Re: Things that make you go HUMMMMM!

Quote Originally Posted by SLS2000
    Quick question or questions.

Before you run to get the parts be honest
    What's the milage on your G. (basic maintenance)
    What have you done to have it in great or good conditions to accept these new and heavy duty modification (turbo / tranny) (cause you're gona want to start all this stuff on a good platform).
    If someone whished to take your G on a joy ride what would stop them?(alarm)
    If you get the tranny and the turbo how well will your Gs brakes stop your new found speed and strength. (brakes)
    And will you curve right out of the road with a near factory suspension? (strut bar, sway bars, springs, struts etc.)
    Minor Example: The tranny shifts well but because your timing belt broke its only shifts in your driveway.) These are things that make you go HUMMM!!
    No black cloud here,
    Just looking out for a member so that you wont end up cursing and hating the project and worst of all, selling and leaving TGC.

well its got 88k on it...im not sure what was done b4 the dealer had it...ive had it since 82k and ive done 2 oil changes so far...put an intake on it...new muffler...havent changed plugs or nething yet i should do that...my brakes r in good condition im not sure how close to going they are though..i know i think about this stuff all day...thinkng to myself do i really wanna turbo this sucker...the more i think about it the more i just want to upgrade the suspension and MAYBE do a 5 speed swap and just leave it at that...cuz 88k is kinda high.

read again read between the () he's trying to help you out and guide you with you should upgrade first, and honestly he's not wrong. Because alot of stuff pretty musch requires other stuff like: If you get bigger wheels you should upgrade your braking system some how if its performance rotors or pads not stock replacements. Or if you get a sound system or even the wheels you might want to get an alarm system because that would call the attention to the thief.

And if you get go faster mods you should make sure your engine is in good shape to go faster and then make sure the rest of the car is upgraded in the right places to go fast to like brakes to stop faster, suspension so you would be able to turn and not turn slowly and end up in a tree/ditch/gaurdrail or other car.

Really what ever you decide to do with the money you have to think what else has to be changed to and what has to be change cause of the second change. That is one reason why modding is addictive to people and costly.
    Signature wanted call: 1800-Darkkend

<a>Take Better Photoshots Tips from the Pro's</a>

Amen to that!
    88 thousand miles says the following:

(manual's suggestions including Haynes manual).

Change (no questions asked):

Plugs for (platinum tips)
    Wires/cap/rotor
    Replace the timing belt (what I tell yah) If this puppy brakes you are in trouble.
    coolant change
    tranny fluid change and filter.
    drive belt
    have the car Professionally detailed inside and out (you'll fall in love again plus your parents will think you are a sensible adult who can be trusted with another $1000.

And of course
    an alarm for your now new car!

Now you are ready to rummble!!!

Good luck!
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS2000
    Amen to that!
    88 thousand miles says the following:

(manual's suggestions including Haynes manual).

Change (no questions asked):

Plugs for (platinum tips)
    Wires/cap/rotor
    Replace the timing belt (what I tell yah) If this puppy brakes you are in trouble.
    coolant change
    tranny fluid change and filter.
    drive belt
    have the car Professionally detailed inside and out (you'll fall in love again plus your parents will think you are a sensible adult who can be trusted with another $1000.

And of course
    an alarm for your now new car!

Now you are ready to rummble!!!

Good luck!
    whats it cost for detailing? like 100 bucks? also what is "Cap" in Wires/cap/rotor...timing belt is gunna cost me a fortune...basically i should take it to my mitsu dealer and pay them 500+ dollars to fix all this??

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    i thought we all agreed that you were going to do basic maintenance....
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Eh any records with your car? Timing belt is usually changed at 60k. Of course some people dont change them untill 100+k but if you are smart you will change it. It costs about $200-300 in parts to change the timing belt yourslef but if you dont know what your doing I wouldnt recommend it. And I wouldnt take it anywhere but a dealer for the timing belt, too many Ma' and Pa' shops think they can do it but have no clue on what should or shouldnt be done. They can change the belt fine, thats not an issue, but doing it correctly, I would just take it to Mitsu to save yourself the hassle.

Always do maintenance before modding if you want your car to last.
    7g for life!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast