The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: spark plugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32

spark plugs

How much performance can i gain by replacing the stock plugs/wires? I have heard that you gain significantly in the low end of the rpm range with new plugs...

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar

Re: spark plugs

Quote Originally Posted by frag_daddy_2007
    How much performance can i gain by replacing the stock plugs/wires? I have heard that you gain significantly in the low end of the rpm range with new plugs...
    you dont gain nothing.... stick to the stock wires and spark plugs.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

you may not really gain anything, but never stay with stock!!
    life's a waste of time, time's a waste of life, So foget about life and get wasted all the time!

in terms of electrical, stock wires and plugs is never a bad thing on a Mitsu. If our stock wires were either red or blue color, we all would stay stock. oh well, it's all up to you.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    you won't gain any power. if anything, you will regain lost power from your previous plugs being so dirty or fouled or whatever. get NGK copper plugs for best performance.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    you won't gain any power. if anything, you will regain lost power from your previous plugs being so dirty or fouled or whatever. get NGK copper plugs for best performance.
    thats right. unless you buy some fancy expensive ignition system, you're not gonna see any siginificant gains.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    cosign

exept i use ngk vpower plugs.. and ive got belden wires from napa
    1997 Mitsubishi Galant 4G64 *R*I*P*

soon to come, 97 Copper GST 5spd, Bone Stock, for now...

v power are probably fine for you NA guys. but on a boosted application the v cuts in the electrode can create a hot spot wich is a sucker for predetonation. just like carbon or burs on a piston.

just use the standard flat top if you are boosted. and check them often.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

well in that case i geuss i will just replace the stock wires and just replace the plugs b/c they are old

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Dohc, any suggestion on brand and type for going boosted?

In my experience, don't use OE wires, go with ones from NAPA, Advance, Discount, etc.

The stock ones tend to not want to push all the way into the tubes once they've heat cycled a few times, and will caust a misfire due to them popping back up. At least the last 5-6 that I've worked on that was the case (also from experience with my own personal G) Also the stock wires are outrageously expensive! I'm running NAPA "Belden" brand wires right now, and they seem to be holding up pretty well. They're all a little too long though.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

there was a test done on dsmtuners that went over all the resisatance and a few other specs for every wire on the market for the 4g63. accel wires were one of the best. thats what i run cause for the money they are.
    ngk were close to accel but cost much more.
    from what i remember,
    magnecore were suprisingly high in resistance. and msd were actually very low.
    i'll do a search and pull up the study.
    seth might also have the page bookmarked cause he linked me to it.

as far as plugs,
    run oem plugs no matter what.
    if you are boosting
    get the exact same oe ngk-r plugs, but get one heat range colder.
    so if stock plugs were bpr6es, get ngk bpr7es. (those are 4g63 plugs so don't pay attention to the model. but the actual #( the 6 or the 7) are the heat range)

one step colder will give you a greater resistance to predetonation,
    helping you run more boost safely.

You will also want to adjust (tighten) your spark plug gap to account for the higher cylinder pressures given the same spark energy.
    just a little though not too much.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Spark plugs won't give you any real noticable performance gains. If anything you will notice the motor run better and better mpg. The only time you would be concern about spark plug in relation to performance is probably any type of forced induction since the fuel+air+spark equation is vital to motor performance and longevity.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

i just replaced my stock plugs with the Bosch Platinum 4 Iridiums, new wires, cap and rotor, as im sure they have never been changed in the 12 years its been on the road... this car was seriously neglected... cant wait to see what ive been missing in the re-established power once i get this huge overhaul done and overwith on the interior and suspension.

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dienekes1982
    i just replaced my stock plugs with the Bosch Platinum 4 Iridiums, new wires, cap and rotor, as im sure they have never been changed in the 12 years its been on the road... this car was seriously neglected... cant wait to see what ive been missing in the re-established power once i get this huge overhaul done and overwith on the interior and suspension.
    your car is going to launch a lot smoother. other then that, you shouldnt feel anything else. you have an I4 right or what?
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

yeah the car is basically stock right now with some serious interior work done.. like i said in my noob posting, this is my first upgradeable car and definately my first attempt at any sort of DIY automotive mechanical work.. so its taking me some time... not quite sure what im doing most of the time, but alot of my questions are answered by you guys.. thanks for all the support!!!

oh and yeah i have a '95 5speed with the stock I4 2.4L.... what is the base HP supposed to be for this car anyways?

sweet mary mother of god!!!!! i just got done installing everything, my new injectors, distributor cap, rotor, wires, the whole 9 and what a sick difference. i cant believe the DIFFERENCE!!! i highly reccomend those +4 Iridiums!!! its worth the extra $4 per plug!!!! Im stoked! my car actually idles at a constant speed now, no more chugging!!!!

(and heres a few more !!!!!!!!!!! to go with the ones above)

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dienekes1982
    sweet mary mother of god!!!!! i just got done installing everything, my new injectors, distributor cap, rotor, wires, the whole 9 and what a sick difference. i cant believe the DIFFERENCE!!! i highly reccomend those +4 Iridiums!!! its worth the extra $4 per plug!!!! Im stoked! my car actually idles at a constant speed now, no more chugging!!!!

(and heres a few more !!!!!!!!!!! to go with the ones above)
    so i guess feels like how it was when it was new.. just replaced my plugs too and it's alot smoother.. i guess sp wise, it all matters how long the sp will last.. burning and sparking wise, they all should be the same.. just the matter of how long it will stay effective..

bosch +4 = worst plug imaginable for a mitsubishi

any difference you are feeling is cause you went from a bad plug to a new plug.
    i bet if you woudl ahve put autolite plugs in there you woudl be just as excited.

the key here is if i put those plugs in my engine right now my shit woudl be knocking left and right and pulling timing.

i reccomend you install the OEM plug.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Yep, Bosch are worst, doest matter how much electrods.. I have on my G ride Denso Iridium Power sparkplugs and wires are from Spitfire... engine works good...better than with my old NGKs.
    www.mitsubishiklub.cz
    Dream, as if you live for ever, live as if you will die today, the choice is yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast