The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Throttle Body Sensor...

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    NYchulo3

Throttle Body Sensor...

Aight guys, my check engine light was on, and i took it to auto zone to run the diagnostic. They told me the throttle body sensor was malfunctioning and it was like $97 to replace. I am curious what does this sesnsor actually do? Does it affect my acceleration? I just wanna know how important this is so i know how fast to get this fixed. Help! :?:

Re: Throttle Body Sensor...

Quote Originally Posted by NYchulo3
    Aight guys, my check engine light was on, and i took it to auto zone to run the diagnostic. They told me the throttle body sensor was malfunctioning and it was like $97 to replace. I am curious what does this sesnsor actually do? Does it affect my acceleration? I just wanna know how important this is so i know how fast to get this fixed. Help! :?:
    I think the TPS is pretty important as it sends information to the ECU, but before you spend money to get it replaced, verify that it is broken first. just disconnect the wire harness and test pins 1 & 3. The correct voltage across these two pins with the key in on position but engine off should be between 535--735 mV. Also check that the TPS is working by measuring the resistance again between pins 1 & 3 but on the TPS side on the TB. When pushing down on the connector to the end of the accellerator cable at the TB (hence opening up the butterfly valve inside), the change in metered resistance should change smoothly. Good luck.

Oh BTW, do not remove the TPS off the TB w/o first measuring what the original resistance is. Then when you replace the TPS, you can set it back to the original resistance. I had to do this when I swapped out my TB.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

as far as ECM sensors go, the TPS is second on the list of importance (especially if you have an automatic)

but adjusting and testing it is not quite that easy sometimes.

first, a voltmeter is a useless tool when it comes to testing a TPS.. it usually cant and doesnt pick up the small failures.
    also, putting it back at the original position is not the best way to adjust it. depending on the year, there are several different ways to adjust it. i believe on his year there is a built in closed throttle position switch built into the sensor itself (youll know if there are 4 wires running to the sensor instead of 3).
    if thats the case, the actual voltage doesnt matter in the slightest. the correct way to adjust it is so that the closed throttle switch turns from "on" to "off" in 40 to 60 millevolts.
    the older cars needed it to be set at 500 millevolts as the closed throttle switch was a seperate item on the throttle body, and the brand new ones are pretty similar in that you set them to 500 millevolts, but there is NO closed throttle switch, as the ECM looks for a minimum throttle voltage and uses that as a reference.

NYchulo3
    if it really is malfunctioning, do u think that it would affect my acceleration?

Quote Originally Posted by NYchulo3
    if it really is malfunctioning, do u think that it would affect my acceleration?
    absolutly.

FYI, I have the '00 GTZ and it has a 4 wire plug but only 3 wires. One of the contacts is actually blocked off in the plug. And as for the calibration, those numbers I listed above is for both I4 & V6 right out of the factory Galant service manual. 535--735 mV is correct. This cannot be adjusted as far as I know but that's what it should read if it's to stay within factory specs.

sorry, my bad... I couldn't see that this was the 7G section...... looks like we need a fix on the titles up top, hehe.

NYchulo3
    ok well i ordered the TPS and it was $97! It will be in on Thursday. I hope this helps my acceleration because it has really been sucking it up! I am gonna get it professionally installed cuz I don't wanna chance fucking anything up.

NYchulo3
    got my shit put in and happy to say, my G is back to running GREAT!!!

MitsuMan
    Did u do it yourself or have someone put it in, i would like to archive this for people asking how much it would cost if u had the labor done, or if u did it yourself if it was hard, other members can benefit from this post,...thanks

dean

NYchulo3
    well like I said, the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) ran me about $97 from Auto Zone. I took it somewhere to get it installed. You can basically take it to any shop and they will just charge you for one hour worth of labor. The lavor rate of the shop I took it to was $65. Kinda steep, but I trust them guys to do a good job and they did!