The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5spd swap complete, major problems

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

5spd swap complete, major problems

so, after two day of working on the ground, no power tools and no help, i am all finished with my 5spd swap. but the car is running like shit and i am afraid that i am going to have to take the tranny back off. when i got to start the car, it shakes really bad. once started i get a little rattle. once running and wityh my foot on the clutch, i cannot get the car into gear. it goes into gear fine if the car is shut off. when the car is on and i try to go into gear the car starts pulling forward like i am not on the clutch. i blead the clutch line a few more times but nothing happened. i am using a slowboyracinbg stainless line. when i pulled out the bolt from my old hard line off my slave, i noticed a lil white thing inside the slave hole, so i left it there. i am going to try to remove that today and see if it responds any better. what ever the problem is it seems like i am not fully pressing the clutch. i always had a problem with a slightly high idle so once in gear the car is trying to pull. since its a hydrolic system i doubt theres any adjustment.

my second problem is that my speedometer is not working correctly. its acting kinda spuratic. i have like 4 plugs that went to the auto tranny that are now unplugged. on the fronbt of my 5spd tranny i have a sensor that none of my stock plugs fit, should i have something hooked up to this? i did plug in the sensor on the rear of the tranny inbetween the mount bracket.

i am just looking for any suggestions before i take this tranny off AGAIN!

p.s. i have u sudted nuckles, one smashed purple finger nail, one cracked finger nail scrapes all on my arm and my hair is dirtier than the floor in a low budget tire shop. i just want all this to be over. i am starting to think i should of just paid someone to do the swap. and yes, i have read every swap tutorial on this site
    parting out my 7g project. 1g turbo head with gs cam gears, talon tsi front and rear brakes/5lug conversion. xtc 2g fwd clutch and pressure plate. complete 7g 5spped swap. jdm e54a headlights stock 97 tails, interior trim pieces. [email protected]
    http://www.thegalantcenter.net/forum...211#post477211

Experienced TGC Member
    For your first problem about getting into gear did you check your shift fork position? It should be in the middle. It seems like you didn't space it and your fork isn't fully releasing the clutch. Get that fixed asap so you don't end up burning your new clutch. You can also adjust the pedal by backing out the clutch sensor alittle to give your pedal more travel.

For the second problem out of those 4 lines 2 have to be used to plug in your reverse light switch. I forgot which two though. You have to get small speaker female terminals and plug them into the reverse light switch.

Almost forgot and for the speedo make sure it is in properly w/ the 10mm bolt and the connection is good. It should have a retaining clip to keep it from backing out.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

"For your first problem about getting into gear did you check your shift fork position? It should be in the middle. It seems like you didn't space it and your fork isn't fully releasing the clutch. Get that fixed asap so you don't end up burning your new clutch. You can also adjust the pedal by backing out the clutch sensor alittle to give your pedal more travel."

ill try adjusting the clutch pedal and forlk. but what do you think about that little white piece i seen inside the bolt hold in the slave? i dident play with the forlk at all. i pulled the tranny off the doron motoro and put it directly into my motor. ill play with it a lil bit to see what i can come up with.

"For the second problem out of those 4 lines 2 have to be used to plug in your reverse light switch. I forgot which two though. You have to get small speaker female terminals and plug them into the reverse light switch."

what about the sensor on the front of the 5spd tranny that has nothing pulg into it, should i be concerned about that?

"Almost forgot and for the speedo make sure it is in properly w/ the 10mm bolt and the connection is good. It should have a retaining clip to keep it from backing out."

i take it this is the sensor that in the rear inbetween the mount bracket. its screwed in tight and the plug is on tight with the clip. should i switch in the one from my auto tranny?
    parting out my 7g project. 1g turbo head with gs cam gears, talon tsi front and rear brakes/5lug conversion. xtc 2g fwd clutch and pressure plate. complete 7g 5spped swap. jdm e54a headlights stock 97 tails, interior trim pieces. [email protected]

Experienced TGC Member
    Yea if reusing the same shift ball and fork it most likely needs to be spaced at the shift ball to put the fork in the correct position.

The sensor in front of the trans is the reverse light sensor. Ask peno about which lines are needed to make it work.

Try swapping in the automatic speed sensor. Maybe the one that came with the trans has some ware to it.

ok, i guess the clip wasent on correctly for the speed sensor, i fixed that. i took pictures of the 5 extra plugs i have, but imageshack isent worknig correctly so i cant post them right now.

i am kinda lost on what your talking about with the shift forlk and ball. are you talking about where the clutch slave meets the throw out bearing forlk? is it something i can adjust without taking the tranny off?

i pray to god this answers all my problems

oh yeah, any opinino on this little white thing i said i saw inside of my slave?

Quote Originally Posted by dsm galant
    ok, i guess the clip wasent on correctly for the speed sensor, i fixed that. i took pictures of the 5 extra plugs i have, but imageshack isent worknig correctly so i cant post them right now.

i am kinda lost on what your talking about with the shift forlk and ball. are you talking about where the clutch slave meets the throw out bearing forlk? is it something i can adjust without taking the tranny off?

i pray to god this answers all my problems

oh yeah, any opinino on this little white thing i said i saw inside of my slave?
    If it's what I think you are talking about, it is the restrictor plate. It is supposed to be there, it makes the clutch pedal come back up slower when you take your foot off of it. If you want a little bit stiffer pedal feel and a quicker engangement you would remove it but IMO I would get things working correctly before I messed with that. Unless i'm completely off and talking about something totally unrelated.

Experienced TGC Member
    This is the correct position for the shift fork

and the thing in the line is a restrictor.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    if you used regular tools, no power. Make sure you at least got a torque wrench and torqued everything good. As far as the car shifting while the engine is off and not on is because either you need to bleed your clutch more or your clutch pedal needs to be adjusted. The rattling and vibrating can be either from the engine mounts or maybe your flywheel and or clutch PP is not bolted down right and its wobbling. Did you remove the pilot bearing out of the crank before installing the flywheel and clutch?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

i removed the spacer behind the flexplate. it was a bitch getting out but i did get it out. i tourqued down the flywheel and presure plate pretty good. i am going over all the little things before i brake down and remove the tranny again.

this is my slave/forlk

i dont know about the fork spacing, but i had to replace the clutch in my car and it kept grabbin with the pedal to the floor for a while too, but i couldnt find any way to adjust it and it eventually wore down and quit grabbin. but it sounds like ur having more problems then i was so i dont know. oh and dont remove the restrictor. i didnt know there was one but apparently we accidentally removed it because my pedal is stiff as hell and if your not careful it'll throw ur knee into your chin. its a bitch to drive casually but it'll shift like a beast if ur gettin on it.

i already removed the restrictor and threw it away. i am using the slowboyracing clutch line kit and it has its own restrictor. i just ordered another clutch kit with aluminum flywheel combo from ebay. its on its way

i removed the spacer behind the flexplate. it was a bitch getting out but i did get it out.
    this is my slave/forlk
    Is that a used slave i see in that pic?
    I'd suspect that as maybe the culprit.
    Those parts slave and master should be NEW never used.

In my setup only thing that is original is the fork and pivot, i changed everything else and had all new parts. Look into those things, and adjust the damn pedal.

but does the clutck forlk position look off?

Experienced TGC Member
    but does the clutck forlk position look off?
    Na it looks good.

something from the insode dosent sound 100%. i hope its not the tranny itself. i ordered a clutch/flywheel combo kit from ebay, hopefully that solves everythnig

Do you have enough gear oil in the tranny? Did you lube the fork and pivot prior to installation?

i drained the tranny the best that i could, then i added 2 quarts of tranny fluid. i think its supposed to be 2.2 but i am pretty sure that .2 was still in there. i dident lube the forlk or anything. ill go over all this stuff once my new clutch and flywheel get here

p.s. i picked up a 1g turbo eclipse for parts, going to rip the head/turbo off tommrrow