The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil in IC piping

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Oil in IC piping

Do you guys get a lot of oil in your intercooler piping? I'm thinking of getting a catch can to alleviate that. I also need to find a non-paper gasket for my BOV as it is a bit soaked in oil :x

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Catch can should help, although i thought you had one already.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Do you have your breather from your valve cover routed to your intake pipe? Thats the only reason you should have oil in your piping. If you do get a catch can or breather filter and dont route it to the IC piping, if you dont, you have bigger problems.
    7g for life!

you for now just run the breather line down to below the engine bay and cap off the nipple on your intake(until you get a catch can

RRE and perrin make a great catch can.

you are going to want to replace your pcv valve to help with blowby,
    also you will want to clean your intercooler out completely(just use some paint thinner or gasoline)
    cause now your intercooler is covered in oil and i bet there is a puddle at the bottom.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Yeah, the breather is routed back to the intake pipe. I don't have a catch can yet, but I'm getting one now - all I need to do is find a spot for the damn thing.

I also just found a small hole in the vac line to the BOV :x Replaced the line and put some conduit over it for extra protection

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear
    Yeah, the breather is routed back to the intake pipe. I don't have a catch can yet, but I'm getting one now - all I need to do is find a spot for the damn thing.

I also just found a small hole in the vac line to the BOV :x Replaced the line and put some conduit over it for extra protection
    yeha i was going to say something about your bov. in that first vid you put out where you are boosting down the street in your neiborhood is sounded like you were surging.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i disconected my breather line and capped off the intake nipple before the turbo, and i still had a lot of oil in my charge pipes. i guess the seals on the turbo were bad, because i can't fathom any other way for oil to get in there
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

If you took off the intake pipe could you see oil in the turbo inlet? My seals were bad in my original b16g and I had a pool of oil in the IC piping and a small puddle in the turbos inlet. Plus I smoked like a chain smoker.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    i disconected my breather line and capped off the intake nipple before the turbo, and i still had a lot of oil in my charge pipes. i guess the seals on the turbo were bad, because i can't fathom any other way for oil to get in there
    yeah

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

^ lol nice post.

Yeah.
    7g for life!

Just an update - I used a small clear fuel filter that I picked up from my local auto parts store, and put it inline with the breather hose - you can see some of the oil it caught, and some of the yellow filter is a bit darker:

Underside of filter:

I haven't checked my pipes yet, but will keep an eye on it. It looks like the oil that was on my BOV gasket was actually from a bit of a leak from the oil feed line on top of the turbo, and it dripped down onto the BOV.